Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stuck Roof or Centre Compartment Fix

Submit How-To's here and the moderators will allocate them to the appropriate section
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed May 11, 2022 1:36 am

Hi everyone, thought I would post how I opened and 'fixed' my centre storage compartment from being stuck closed. This method would also work for anyone who has their roof stuck open and are unable to manually realease it. I couldn't see an identical solution online but apologies if it's old news.

Please note this solution disables the lock for the centre compartment storage (you can reimplement it later if you wish, but it requires buying a replacement lock motor)

1. Use a phillips flathead to gently push down the clasp in the small gap between the top of the opening compartment door and the bottom of the release button. It should come pretty easy, don't force anything!

2. Remove the two philips screws that sit each side of the clasp mechanism and the plastic plugs they sit in.

3. Remove the plastic trim cover attached to the release button. I pulled it slowly upwards but ended up breaking the brittle platic clips that hold it in. I ended up glueing them back on with super glue, as a replacement part is about £80.

4. Remove the 4 torx screws holding the locking mechnism. Beware that some screws are different sizes, so remember which goes where.

5. Manipulate the mechanism to seperate it as much as you can from the locking motor behind it.

6. Push out the small protuding plastic piece that looks like it slides from left to right.

7. Slide up the plastic bracket attached to the relase mechanism. This is what stops the centre compartment button from being pressed down.

8. Just below the roof release lever, there is a linkage between a plastic flap and the compartment release mechanism. Remove this linkage and push the flap down. This is what stops the roof release button from being pressed.

8. Replace the torx screws and clip the trim back in.

Ans that's it. Took me about 20 minutes and was fairly simple to do. Of course if you wanted to retain the locking feature you would likely need to replace the locking motor behind the release mechanism, but considering the price it wasn't worth it personally.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 am

Hi, I may have missed your point, but why could you not simply pull the release cord in the boot to open the centre storage?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed May 11, 2022 2:55 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 am Hi, I may have missed your point, but why could you not simply pull the release cord in the boot to open the centre storage?
In my case that did not work either, it seems to be stuck itself!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed May 11, 2022 4:16 pm

skmattwell wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:55 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 am Hi, I may have missed your point, but why could you not simply pull the release cord in the boot to open the centre storage?
In my case that did not work either, it seems to be stuck itself!
Ah well, at least you tried it before crashing in through the front. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: