Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A little issue

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

A little issue

Post by ronk » Thu May 05, 2022 4:32 pm

The forum at its best :thumbsup:

Years ago, one of the senior managers was travelling to London by Air for a one day meeting - not usual in the old days.
He drove to the airport from his rural village and was unlucky to bang into a deer - not wanting to leave the carcass he moved it to the side of the road and getting his only shirt bloodied.
As the airport didn’t have any shops like they do now, he was forced to try and wash the blood stains from his shirt in the toilet /wash room area.

Apparently he got some funny looks from people.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 am

Morning guys, a quick update.

I've had a better look at the damage and have pulled the left grill out, pushed it back together (it comes in two halves) and have put it back in it's location. Alas there are far too many clips broken to be able to save this bumper, so I'm definately looking for a replacement. Now ideally I'd like to get hold of one in the correct colour and without any damage so I don't need to have it resprayed, and if the price was right an M-Sport version would look nice 8) but would obviousley need to be a complete replacement with all the lower grills and fittings (upper grills are already sorted now :thumbsup: ).

So that's where I am at the moment, getting there slowly, as it's all visual I'm not too worried. Thanks for the support everyone, and the jokes :lol:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

IRD

A little issue

Post by IRD » Wed May 11, 2022 1:37 pm

Just spotted this Dave. That was really bad luck. There are increasing numbers of deer on Lincolnshire’s roads. Along with the potholes you take your life in your hands each time you go out in the car. Hope you get sorted out without too much hassle .
Ian

newbie22

A little issue

Post by newbie22 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:01 pm

ashame about the damage. i imagine the trauma you feel about the damage to the car is about the same the deer felt. personally, i'd just file an insurance claim and get a new one.
PS: love the puns!

rdm05z4

A little issue

Post by rdm05z4 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:10 pm

Hopefully can be fixed for not much Doe!
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

Marcoose

A little issue

Post by Marcoose » Wed May 11, 2022 6:07 pm

Dave, saw your PM. Looking into it.

My mate sent this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185392206924 ... media=COPY
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:25 pm

Resurrecting this old thread of mine :D

Well my old grills have stood the test of time and a few thousand more miles and are still in the same place they were, im very surprised they haven't fallen out.
The old bumper is still attached, and doesn't look too bad until you get close.
I've been looking through ebay for the last year or so for a bumper, but it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend none of them are perfect, even at £500 they still have some markings requiring a respray. So I've finally taken the plunge with an ultra-cheap M-Sport one with minimal damage (mainly cracked paint), which I'll repair myself then take it in to be resprayed. A set of lower grills, new OE ones, will set me back £120, plus a tow cover for £20, so not too bad all round.
So it's getting there, slowly, but I'm not in any rush :thumbsup:
Attachments
Screenshot_20230702_140105_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230702_140105_eBay.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Dave

IRD

A little issue

Post by IRD » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:34 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:25 pm Resurrecting this old thread of mine :D

Well my old grills have stood the test of time and a few thousand more miles and are still in the same place they were, im very surprised they haven't fallen out.
I've been looking through ebay for the last year or so for a bumper, but it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend none of them are perfect, even at £500 they still have some markings requiring a respray. So I've finally taken the plunge with an ultra-cheap M-Sport one with minimal damage (mainly cracked paint), which I'll repair myself then take it in to be resprayed. A set of lower grills, new OE ones, will set me back £120, plus a tow cover for £20, so not too bad all round.
We don’t rush into things in Lincolnshire Dave. Especially if it involves spending hard earned cash. :wink:

Busterboo

A little issue

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:55 pm

A pigeon flew into the plastic front bumper of my 911. The unpainted OE replacement was £660+VAT.

A local dent man repaired it for £120.

Some of these guys are very good.
Vidi, vici, veni

Silverstar

A little issue

Post by Silverstar » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:03 am

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:25 pm Resurrecting this old thread of mine :D

I find it amazing how many of these second hand bumpers are in such poor condition, does nobody know how to drive? Or is it that the breakers only sell the crap on eBay and the good stuff elsewhere?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

BeardyJon

A little issue

Post by BeardyJon » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:13 pm

I don't know if anyone else has trouble with them, but my front bumper seems to be a magnet for stone chips. It's absolutely pebble dashed. And then the hand car wash dude point blank blasted strips of clear coat off it so mines looking about as good as that eBay one. Going to need to get it resprayed, which of course the car wash refused to take responsibility for.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

A little issue

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:34 pm

My wife keeps trying to get me to use one of those now we have a hose pipe ban :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

AnubisZed

A little issue

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:39 pm

IRD wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:34 pm We don’t rush into things in Lincolnshire Dave. Especially if it involves spending hard earned cash. :wink:
Too right :D :thumbsup:
Busterboo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:55 pm A pigeon flew into the plastic front bumper of my 911. The unpainted OE replacement was £660+VAT.

A local dent man repaired it for £120.

Some of these guys are very good.
I'm amazed that I haven't lost one of the grills, as all of the holding clips are broken, hence why I decided to not have it repaired.
Silverstar wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:03 am I find it amazing how many of these second hand bumpers are in such poor condition, does nobody know how to drive? Or is it that the breakers only sell the crap on eBay and the good stuff elsewhere?
I think they take the general idea that they just don't look after them at the breakers yard, hence they have even minor damage, which is a shame. I'd have preferred to not to have had it painted, but that just wasn't going to happen, so at least it gave me more scope to find one I'm happy with and the minimal damage to this one leads it to an easier repair.
BeardyJon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:13 pm I don't know if anyone else has trouble with them, but my front bumper seems to be a magnet for stone chips. It's absolutely pebble dashed. And then the hand car wash dude point blank blasted strips of clear coat off it so mines looking about as good as that eBay one. Going to need to get it resprayed, which of course the car wash refused to take responsibility for.
Only minor stone chips on mine (and a deer! :rofl: ) but never a problem with the jet washer and clear coat. Has it had any paintwork done before? I ask because normally when a jet wash blasts the clear coat off it'll be because of bad prep prior to paintwork being done.
Dave

Silverstar

A little issue

Post by Silverstar » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:13 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:13 pm I don't know if anyone else has trouble with them, but my front bumper seems to be a magnet for stone chips. It's absolutely pebble dashed. And then the hand car wash dude point blank blasted strips of clear coat off it so mines looking about as good as that eBay one. Going to need to get it resprayed, which of course the car wash refused to take responsibility for.
No such problems here. As Anubiszed has said, most likely poor quality paint repair in the past.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

BeardyJon

A little issue

Post by BeardyJon » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:20 pm

I'm not aware of any prior paintwork being done to the front bumper, and I've got all the paperwork for the car from purchase. So unless someone surreptitiously removed all references to it, then I think it's original paint from manufacture. It's a 2012 so the wear and tear is probably commensurate with age at this point. But it's the one thing dragging the nice finish of the whole car down.

Incidentally, I was looking at that same bumper on eBay as an alternative to getting mine painted, but it's just as bad if not worse than mine. I'm now trying to fend off my DIY instincts and convince myself that buying a few spray cans of 300 Alpine White from Halfords and patching it up is a terrible idea. I saw a YouTube video of a paintshop guy doing his with rattle cans and it looked really good so a decent finish isn't impossible for £50-60...
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone