Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Z4

First port of call for new members
gwk

New Z4

Post by gwk » Tue May 03, 2022 4:07 pm

Hi all,
I picked up my new 2022 Z4 M40i a few days ago (and promptly put ~800 miles on it driving around winding roads in Western Massachusetts over the weekend). This is my first fast car since I wrecked my '68 Camaro back in 1987, so it's super fun but takes some getting used to :-)

I decided I wanted a fast fun roadster a few months ago - the house we rented in Florida for the winter had a MX5 parked in the garage and it got me thinking. I looked at everything out there, and ended up with the Z4 because it checks all the boxes for me, both performance and looks. Of all the other options, the Corvette looks a little too much like a spaceship and the Porsches are all 2-3-4x the price to get what I want. I'm thrilled with it so far.

One slight disappointment - it turns out with a convertible there are a bunch of extra requirements in order to be able to do high-performance driving / racing school type events. Harnesses, roll cage maybe (?)... I don't want to actually race, but I'd have liked to learn to drive it close to its limits, both for general fun and for "normal driving" safety margin.

It's not a big deal - I never even considered tracking it when I was shopping around. 'Fast convertible' was my requirement, not 'race ready', and if it turns out I can't go on tracks without a bunch of extra work that makes it less street friendly, I'll live without. But my last car was a Jeep, and within 2 weeks of buying it I'd joined a club and had it offroad in the trees and rocks (after which I poured money into it for the next 3 years on lifts, tires, etc. to make it do that even better!) I'd hoped to similarly be able to drive this as it was meant to be driven. Do any of you have any experience getting the Z4 into HPDE-type contexts, or recommendations for places where I can learn how to drive it aggressively (I'm in Massachusetts, USA)? The local BMWCCA chapter has some stuff, but the calendar is pretty empty this year.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New Z4

Post by buzyg » Tue May 03, 2022 6:05 pm

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall. Would be great to see a picture of your new steed. :D

ponchi101

New Z4

Post by ponchi101 » Tue May 03, 2022 6:07 pm

Photos, gwk, photos! Without photos, we can't get the real feel of how you feel about your new Z. ;)
Welcome to the site :thumbsup:
2008 Z4 2.5 si Roadster (E85, manual European) and 2007 X3 M-trim 3.0 (American)
You play/like tennis? Visit us at www.talkabouttennis2.com and join us for discussions, contests and some fun :D

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

New Z4

Post by Nanu » Tue May 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Welcome to the mad house. Always good to have others from around the world join. However....

:worthless:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New Z4

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue May 03, 2022 8:45 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

New Z4

Post by MikeyH » Tue May 03, 2022 11:25 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, great place to be. But yes, photos pleeeaase :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

KeithRT

New Z4

Post by KeithRT » Thu May 19, 2022 5:42 am

Welcome and congratulations! Enjoy