Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speaker upgrade

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker upgrade

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Which Vibe amp is it? mine was a doddle to fit with no excess wiring using an Iso loom T harness, very small too so easy to tuck away, mine is attached to the lower dash cover in the footwell with extra strong velcro
Attachments
IMG_20220613_154401.jpg
IMG_20220613_154401.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 717 times
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

wanderer

Speaker upgrade

Post by wanderer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 pm

I finally got that Vibe amp sorted. I was trying to install it in the space behind & below the head unit. Togther with the wiring, that was too little space.
I realised that there was a bit of space at the very end of the center console tunnel where it could sit - Just to the left of the footrest.
I already had the footwell cover removed, so one less thing to do for me.

I fed the cabling from the amp via the drivers side footwell into the back of the head unit space.
Connected, tested and fitted the head unit - it fitted back fine this time.

The AMP fits perfectly in that space and allows for easy access and adjustment as well.
The amp i installed is the VIBE POWERBOX65.4M - 520Watts Micro Class D Amplifier.

In my previous post above i had simply plugged it in without making any adjustments.

This time I adjusted the gain on both the left and right channels and i have to say that it is quite a change!
Even on the standard basic speakers it provides quite a bit of OOMPH!

For £135 i'm happy knowing that this is probably the best plug & play amp that i can get.
Chances taken and lessons learned in ordering & installing.

Altogether a good buy.

wanderer

Speaker upgrade

Post by wanderer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:07 pm

Here's how to setup the AMP once installed:

To correctly set the gain control of the amplifier to match that of the source (headunit) use the following setup routine:
• Turn the gain control to minimum on the amplifier.
• Ensure the bass boost on the headunt is set to 0 dB.
• Set all crossovers on the headunt ( if applicable) to flat and both bass and treble to zero.
• Turn up the source (headunit) to approx 3/4 volume.
• Very slowly turn up the gain on the amplifier until distortion can be heard in any of the speakers or until the volume reaches an uncomfortable listening level when this is reached turn the gain control down slightly.

The gain control is now set.
The setting of the crossover will depend on what kind of speaker you are installing.

Note: The smaller the speaker, the less bass it can handle, so for a larger speaker FULL would be preferred, and HPF for a smaller speaker..
By using the crossovers correctly you will not only lengthen the life of your speakers but you will also get better performance from them.

AnubisZed

Speaker upgrade

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:20 am

wanderer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 pm I finally got that Vibe amp sorted. I was trying to install it in the space behind & below the head unit. Togther with the wiring, that was too little space.
I realised that there was a bit of space at the very end of the center console tunnel where it could sit - Just to the left of the footrest.
I already had the footwell cover removed, so one less thing to do for me.

I fed the cabling from the amp via the drivers side footwell into the back of the head unit space.
Connected, tested and fitted the head unit - it fitted back fine this time.

The AMP fits perfectly in that space and allows for easy access and adjustment as well.
The amp i installed is the VIBE POWERBOX65.4M - 520Watts Micro Class D Amplifier.

In my previous post above i had simply plugged it in without making any adjustments.

This time I adjusted the gain on both the left and right channels and i have to say that it is quite a change!
Even on the standard basic speakers it provides quite a bit of OOMPH!

For £135 i'm happy knowing that this is probably the best plug & play amp that i can get.
Chances taken and lessons learned in ordering & installing.

Altogether a good buy.
Excellent, I'm glad it's all good for you, seriously am considering fitting one of these myself but just haven't got around to sorting it yet.
So how long is the wiring from the quadlock adaptor to the amp?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

wanderer

Speaker upgrade

Post by wanderer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:20 am

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:20 am
Excellent, I'm glad it's all good for you, seriously am considering fitting one of these myself but just haven't got around to sorting it yet.
It's probably about a meter or less. Enough to get into your footwell but that's it.
I will measure & take some photos shortly.

AnubisZed

Speaker upgrade

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:19 am

wanderer wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:20 am
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:20 am

It's probably about a meter or less. Enough to get into your footwell but that's it.
I will measure & take some photos shortly.
Thanks for that :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

wanderer

Speaker upgrade

Post by wanderer » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:44 pm

Here's a pic of the length of the cabling.
Excuse the mess with the leaves.
20220616_155800.jpg
20220616_155800.jpg (258.05 KiB) Viewed 624 times

Chippie

Speaker upgrade

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:59 pm

wanderer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:07 pm Here's how to setup the AMP once installed:

To correctly set the gain control of the amplifier to match that of the source (headunit) use the following setup routine:
• Turn the gain control to minimum on the amplifier.
• Ensure the bass boost on the headunt is set to 0 dB.
• Set all crossovers on the headunt ( if applicable) to flat and both bass and treble to zero.
• Turn up the source (headunit) to approx 3/4 volume.
• Very slowly turn up the gain on the amplifier until distortion can be heard in any of the speakers or until the volume reaches an uncomfortable listening level when this is reached turn the gain control down slightly.

The gain control is now set.
The setting of the crossover will depend on what kind of speaker you are installing.

Note: The smaller the speaker, the less bass it can handle, so for a larger speaker FULL would be preferred, and HPF for a smaller speaker..
By using the crossovers correctly you will not only lengthen the life of your speakers but you will also get better performance from them.
Right, for someone completely inept with audio does the amp simply increase the volume, so only normally having the volume half way I wouldn’t notice any difference or does it also increase the clarity?
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Speaker upgrade

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:49 pm

Relative to the basic 6 speaker system the external amp relieves the head unit of driving speakers

The head unit amp is limited in both its absolute power and its dynamic range

Ie how loud can you crank it and how well at the same setting it copes both with quiet and loud sections of music

Set correctly the external amp will off an obvious ability to have the music louder with less distortion and handle complex music more faithfully which could be interpreted as clearer
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Chippie

Speaker upgrade

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:56 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:49 pm Relative to the basic 6 speaker system the external amp relieves the head unit of driving speakers

The head unit amp is limited in both its absolute power and its dynamic range

Ie how loud can you crank it and how well at the same setting it copes both with quiet and loud sections of music

Set correctly the external amp will off an obvious ability to have the music louder with less distortion and handle complex music more faithfully which could be interpreted as clearer
:thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker upgrade

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:54 pm

That should have read ‘ the head unit offloads the amplification duties to the external power amp’ but a fish finger buttie got in the way.. :headbang:

I could have droned on about impedance, damping factors, over driving Class AB amplifiers, harmonics, total harmonic distortion, linearity, power rail sagging, input noise, noise floors, ringing, Q, reactive circuits, transient response, inter modulation distortion, matching, phasing, time alignment, active vs passive crossovers, butterworth vs chebyzhev filters, pass band, octaves etc…but I didn’t… :tumbleweed: :thumbsup: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

BeardyJon

Speaker upgrade

Post by BeardyJon » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:08 am

Does anyone know if this is a space for another tweeter in the rear?

2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Chippie

Speaker upgrade

Post by Chippie » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:10 am

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:54 pm That should have read ‘ the head unit offloads the amplification duties to the external power amp’ but a fish finger buttie got in the way.. :headbang:

I could have droned on about impedance, damping factors, over driving Class AB amplifiers, harmonics, total harmonic distortion, linearity, power rail sagging, input noise, noise floors, ringing, Q, reactive circuits, transient response, inter modulation distortion, matching, phasing, time alignment, active vs passive crossovers, butterworth vs chebyzhev filters, pass band, octaves etc…but I didn’t… :tumbleweed: :thumbsup: :rofl:
Just about get impedance but the rest just went straight over my head and into the stratosphere :rofl: :rofl:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker upgrade

Post by B21 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am

BeardyJon wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:08 am Does anyone know if this is a space for another tweeter in the rear?

The moulding implies that an option to have a separate tweeter was a possibility…

However..

No audio system fitted to E89s ever had that as an option…

Sonically it wouldn’t have made sense even if they did..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Speaker upgrade

Post by B21 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:22 am

Chippie wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:10 am
B21 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:54 pm That should have read ‘ the head unit offloads the amplification duties to the external power amp’ but a fish finger buttie got in the way.. :headbang:

Just about get impedance but the rest just went straight over my head and into the stratosphere :rofl: :rofl:
Was that the stratosphere…or maybe the ionosphere or the troposphere? :tumbleweed: :rofl: