Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replica wheels from CM Wheels

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:12 pm

I understand that CM Wheels (and a few others) sell 'replica' BMW wheels. I am trying to find opinions on whether these 'cheap' replicas are any good please? As in the quality of finish/ paint and if they are as bad as OEM for damage?
Thanks.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:50 pm

In the past one poster here got very upset at the quality of the cm branded wheels…

Having pondered about several of these it seems that overall they are cheap but the quality of finish is not as good as some of the premium brands and tend to be heavier to compensate for their more basic casting processes.

I’m not aware personally of any structural failures of theses types..

They sell some of the branded cheaper wheels too which don’t seem to get a bad wrap like Atomic/Riva etc
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:01 pm

I think ive probably had over 100 sets over the years from Chris at CM wheels, and never had an issue with paint finish or wheels being out of round or being any more prone to cracking than the more expensive replicas for example avant garde etc.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.