Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driving to Austria / Salzburg - any recommendations

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
shuey

Post by shuey » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:54 am

Hey all, I’m planning a road trip to Austria in June/July.

Anyone done this before? Any off the best recommendations of places to see, and drive through?
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Z4C Si Sport / Manual / Alpine White
350Z VQ35DE / Manual / Silver
Seat Leon Cupra MKII / Manual / Silver
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

plenty

Post by plenty » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:24 am

How much time do you have for the trip? How many miles per day are you comfortable with?

martinrpalmer

Post by martinrpalmer » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:57 pm

We've done overnight ferry to Holland, lunch at Classic Remise in Dussledorf, fantastic collection of classic and exotic cars, free entry, great cafe. Then stayed just south of Frankfurt. From there anywhere in Austria/Switzerland/North Italy is doable in a day. If you want to drive the passes get to them early so hotels near them help. We're off again in September similar arrangement with 3 nights near Lucerne and 3 in North Italy.

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:21 pm

I’m driving down to Florence Italy in June via the Black Forrest B500 route to Friedrichshafen, across to Lienze Austria via the Grobglockner road, then down through the Dolomites to Bologna Airport to meet my other half (she flys - I drive!) and onto Florence for a weeks holiday. I try to get over to Europe once a year for a road trip and Austria has some great roads. You’ll love it and June a good month to visit. :thumbsup:
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:27 pm

+1 for the Großglockner Pass - worth every cent of the €28 toll! :thumbsup:
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:37 am

Obs-Com wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:21 pm I’m driving down to Florence Italy in June via the Black Forrest B500 route to Friedrichshafen, across to Lienze Austria via the Grobglockner road, then down through the Dolomites to Bologna Airport to meet my other half (she flys - I drive!) and onto Florence for a weeks holiday. I try to get over to Europe once a year for a road trip and Austria has some great roads. You’ll love it and June a good month to visit. :thumbsup:
Mind the speed camera just after the start of the B500, it flashed all of us last time :D

(never heard anything of it, but it was before the exchange of info)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

plenty

Post by plenty » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:34 am

The northern section of the B500 is too busy to really enjoy unless you're there at dawn, as it's a major transport route. The southern section from Wolfach to Titisee is much less trafficked.

Personally I'd go Dunkirk=>Ardennes=>Trier via the excellent N10 that follows the Moselle river on the Lux/Germany border=>cut south into France and take in the Route des Cretes in the Vosges=>visit the Schlumpf Collection (car museum in Mulhouse)=>south to Switzerland to Andermatt=>do the passes around Andermatt=>Chur=>Timmelsjoch=>Jaufenpass=>Innsbruck=>Grossglockner=>Salzburg.

That's with lots of time to make the journey, hence my question above, and with an emphasis on driving not sightseeing.

shuey

Post by shuey » Wed May 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Thanks guys - will check out your suggestions.

At mo plan is roughly to get to Fussen (border of Germany / Austria) in town days via Reims.
Then basically explore Austria. and possibly cross over to Italian side time dependant.

Heading back via Stuttgart - visit to Porsche / Merc Museums (in a BMW obviously!).
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Berchtesgaden and the Kelstein is a must if in that region. The area is stunning and the view from the top is superb.

https://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/

IMO the B500 is average and busy. There’s loads more routes in the area that are better.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Thu May 05, 2022 6:07 pm

shuey wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:22 pm
Heading back via Stuttgart - visit to Porsche / Merc Museums (in a BMW obviously!).
While at the Porsche museum, you can do a great factory tour. Best to book it in advance.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

Secondtothird

Post by Secondtothird » Thu May 05, 2022 6:12 pm

Yeah did five countries in nine days in 2017, down to Austria and back through France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

Luxembourg City was great, and southern Germany as a whole is absolutely amazing. You can't really fail to stumble across beautiful country and epic scenery. Bavaria especially, the lakes and mountains are stunning. Try to get to Neuschwanstein Castle if you can, it's an unreal location for a project of that size and complexity. The best view of it is from the bridge up the valley behind it.

So many good mountain roads, just follow your nose, you'll love it.

Owen

shuey

Post by shuey » Mon May 09, 2022 9:45 pm

Lance wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 pm Berchtesgaden and the Kelstein is a must if in that region. The area is stunning and the view from the top is superb.

https://www.kehlsteinhaus.de/

IMO the B500 is average and busy. There’s loads more routes in the area that are better.
Looks cool - added to my list of places!
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

shuey

Post by shuey » Mon May 09, 2022 9:47 pm

thanks guys - yeh the castle is defo on the list - and just wondering which museum is best - Porsche or Merc, how much time to see each properly?

But would probably have to limit my self to one otherwise missus will get bored me thinks
M2 OG / Manual / Grey

Previous
Ford Puma 1.7
Rover 214 Si (I know!)

plenty

Post by plenty » Mon May 09, 2022 9:55 pm

Both museums worthwhile - Porsche more focused on motorsport and Merc more on the history of the automobile.

Zebthezed

Post by Zebthezed » Mon May 09, 2022 10:28 pm

Top tip... make sure you've vignettes if you're going anywhere near Austrian or Swiss motorways!!(even a few miles)... They are the nicest traffic men ever- smiles galore- as they give you a £120-150 ticket!!
Conversely- get a Sanef tag for your windscreen if you're using French peage :thumbsup:... its actually company at Harrogate who sort them and they are awesome( especially if busy!)... sail through special lane at 30mph.... costs £8ish a year... I just keep mine paid on and stick it in drawer- pending next trip! :D