Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problems

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 am

I’ve had my 2009 E89 2.5 Ltr for about a month now. Have bought wind deflector, side indicators, set of new tyres and had it serviced by my local garage etc.
But it has always had a problem opening and closing the roof, it stops part way through the operation, take your finger off the button and reapply, and the roof completes the operation, UNTIL a couple of days ago when it would not close. I frigged about with it for a couple of hours to no avail and gave up. I then reversed it to a better position on the drive so that I could put a cover over it and thought I’ll just give it one more try and luckily the roof went up and closed.
I rang an Indy who couldn’t book me in until mid May and then rang bmw dealer who booked me in today. The outcome is they are saying it needs a new control unit - £653 labour including £99.99 diagnostic and health check plus about £50 for the unit.
I have looked through some of the posts on here and am I correct in thinking it sits next to the battery or nearer to the wing.
This really does appear to be expensive - what do you guys think?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by Smartbear » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 am

Rickg3 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:00 am I’ve had my 2009 E89 2.5 Ltr for about a month now. Have bought wind deflector, side indicators, set of new tyres and had it serviced by my local garage etc.
But it has always had a problem opening and closing the roof, it stops part way through the operation, take your finger off the button and reapply, and the roof completes the operation, UNTIL a couple of days ago when it would not close. I frigged about with it for a couple of hours to no avail and gave up. I then reversed it to a better position on the drive so that I could put a cover over it and thought I’ll just give it one more try and luckily the roof went up and closed.
I rang an Indy who couldn’t book me in until mid May and then rang bmw dealer who booked me in today. The outcome is they are saying it needs a new control unit - £653 labour including £99.99 diagnostic and health check plus about £50 for the unit.
I have looked through some of the posts on here and am I correct in thinking it sits next to the battery or nearer to the wing.
This really does appear to be expensive - what do you guys think?
I’d take it somewhere else for a second opinion, have you changed the salmon relays?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chippie

Roof problems

Post by Chippie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:18 am

Did they say what fault codes were present if any?
Most problems with the roof tend to be micro switch or broken wire related.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:30 am

My roof problem with no bongs or warnings was the salmon relays.

Broken wire problems always started with bongs and a warning.

Another possible non bong was the connector that pulled apart on the right boot lift cylinder. I don't remember any warnings for that.
But that was my first ever problem and not that clued up back then what warnings meant.

Your best friend is a obd reader, i use Foxwell NT530pro (£130) as you can specify BMW specific software as well as generic, worth it's weight in BMW dealer tech guys :P
Last edited by flybobbie on Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:42 am

I would certainly be getting a second opinion as it could be a raft of things before a control unit and it does sound expensive for the labour at £65O
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Thank you for your replies all. I will be ringing the service department in the morning and asking more in depth questions and do they guarantee the problem is the control unit and nothing else!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:37 pm

Rickg3 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:53 pm Thank you for your replies all. I will be ringing the service department in the morning and asking more in depth questions and do they guarantee the problem is the control unit and nothing else!
They wont guarantee anything, fid a good indie or someone local with a code reader to help, there is a list of people and their locations on here, they will help for a case of beer.
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:45 am

Thank you for that suggestion. Can anyone recommend a Indy reasonably local to me here in Framlingham IP13 Suffolk please? I did ring a local Indy but they couldn’t fit me in till mid May, so out of desperation took it to Inchcape, Ipswich who booked it in, in a couple days.or is there anyone on here who would look at it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:00 am

For the sake of just over 30 quid, given some of the suggestions on here, why don't you swap out the salmon relays first.
Easily done and could save yourself a fortune.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:18 pm

Thought I would post an update on my roof problem. It is still in the dealers and despite replacing the control unit the roof is not working. They have checked everything and think the new control unit may be faulty so have ‘escalated’ the problem direct with BMW. They have given me a breakdown on the original price as follows: Diagnostic £99. Unit £331. Labour £93. Programming £130 Total £653. Which considering their hourly charge is probably £180 inc vat is about right. Still amazingly high, but look at their overheads!!!
I was hoping that a new sensor or something small would have been the problem, that is why I took the car to them. With their specific to them diagnostics I thought they would pinpoint the problem easily, but now I am concerned that I will have problems.......

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:24 pm

Thought I would post an update on my roof problem. It is still in the dealers and despite replacing the control unit the roof is not working. They have checked everything and think the new control unit may be faulty so have ‘escalated’ the problem direct with BMW. They have given me a breakdown on the original price as follows: Diagnostic £99. Unit £331. Labour £93. Programming £130 Total £653. Which considering their hourly charge is probably £180 inc vat is about right. Still amazingly high, but look at their overheads!!!
I was hoping that a new sensor or something small would have been the problem, that is why I took the car to them. With their specific to them diagnostics I thought they would pinpoint the problem easily, but now I am concerned that I will have problems.......

Rickg3

Roof problems

Post by Rickg3 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:26 pm

Oops sorry for posting twice

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Roof problems

Post by B21 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Since it’s now over 6 years since bmw sold an e89 it’s possible that the techs in the main dealer don’t know what they are doing…

The error diagnostics are primitive so in this case main dealer diagnostic counts for not a lot…

I’d back a knowledgeable Indy versus a bmw main dealer on this subject any day ..
Last edited by B21 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problems

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:41 pm

Sorry this has not worked but we did advise to try the relays first or find a good indie.

The BMW dealer has gone straight to the most expensive item, I cant see the new unit being faulty, more than likely it was not the issue in the first place.

Most fixes are relays or microswitches from what I have read on here.

Zforbes

Roof problems

Post by Zforbes » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:04 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:28 pm Since it’s now over 6 years since bmw sold an e89 it’s possible that the techs in the main dealer don’t know what they are doing…

The error diagnostics are primitive so in this case main dealer diagnostic counts for not a lot…

I’d back a knowledgeable Indy versus a bmw main dealer on this subject any day ..
I agree with this, BMW techs follow instructions for common faults, not likely they've seen many E89's with roof issues recently and chance of fixing is probable but only after they've changed most things. Symptoms sound like normal broken wires and possibly hall sensor issues. Sack the stealers and find an indie with fault finding logic or DIY. INSTA or INPA on laptop will help diagnose and free download if you have a cable to ODB socket.
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather