Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Courier/shiply didn't go to plan...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
cowboyjon

Post by cowboyjon » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:06 pm

So paid almost £400 to a courier via shiply and the son of a bitch was a no show today.

No phone number, so I emailed and they responded to say they were on their way.

Hours pass, with me emailing them. Eventually I got an email at 1.20pm this afternoon saying they were 35 minutes away. That was the last communication.

So obviously I've emailed shiply (and will be on the phone to them when they open at 9am tomorrow) and contacted my bank, who said we should wait 24hrs on the off chance the courier materialises.

So all is on hold until tomorrow. I can't even book another courier just in case this useless sod turns up at some point this evening.

Rant over - lesson learned the hard way.
FK8 - Championship White
E86 - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:11 pm

What a nightmare for you, I hope your car turns up OK. My experience of Shiply has been positive, although there must be some dodgy players out there.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm afraid folk don't give two f**ks these days.... honesty, integrity and reliability have gone out of the window. This scenario is the new norm. Same goes for doing the right thing, it's a rarity now.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

cowboyjon

Post by cowboyjon » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:06 pm

On the bright side the actual car seller has been stellar.

Used shiply years ago with zero hassles.

To make matters worse the 'courier' sent me an email at 9pm tonight saying, "sorry, outside now".

So they have stolen my money and are now actively harrasing me. I've booked a real courier for Wednesday but yeah, this has been a bad one.
FK8 - Championship White
E86 - Ruby Black

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:47 am

Have the couriers actually got the car, did they pick it up from the seller?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

cowboyjon

Post by cowboyjon » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm

No, courier don't have the car - they have taken the money and run.

On the phone with Shiply this morning, they refuse to do anything. All they could give me is a contact number for the courier and they advised I try phoning them, lol. They also recommended I phone the police.

Shiply said all they could do was send them an email and if they aren't able to resolve it they MAY ban them from using Shiply.

I can't even leave this courier negative feedback on Shiply until the 17th, so they are free to steal other people's money!

So word to the wise, if you use Shiply and anything goes wrong at all, they accept absolutely no responsibility, I can't even get my deposit back at the moment thta was paid via the Shiply website.
FK8 - Championship White
E86 - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:26 pm

cowboyjon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm No, courier don't have the car - they have taken the money and run.

On the phone with Shiply this morning, they refuse to do anything. All they could give me is a contact number for the courier and they advised I try phoning them, lol. They also recommended I phone the police.

Shiply said all they could do was send them an email and if they aren't able to resolve it they MAY ban them from using Shiply.

I can't even leave this courier negative feedback on Shiply until the 17th, so they are free to steal other people's money!

So word to the wise, if you use Shiply and anything goes wrong at all, they accept absolutely no responsibility, I can't even get my deposit back at the moment thta was paid via the Shiply website.
That sounds like madness. What sort of an answer is, we may ban someone who just effectively stole £400 from one of our customers. :o

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:29 pm

Obviously of no use to you now, but a lesson learned for all future users. Trouble with Shiply is it's a reverse auction. Some people (not saying you) take the cheapest bid.
I would recommend carefully reading all the feedback and picking one that may be slightly more expensive but has good provenance.
Hope you get it sorted.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:30 pm

I'd look at taking Shipley to the small claims court, your contract is with them, not with the courier.

Relatively small outlay for you, a lot of hassle for them.

Image Image

cowboyjon

Post by cowboyjon » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:26 pm
cowboyjon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:20 pm No, courier don't have the car - they have taken the money and run.

That sounds like madness. What sort of an answer is, we may ban someone who just effectively stole £400 from one of our customers. :o
That's exactly what I said to Shiply - 'so I'm telling you this crook has stolen nearly £400 from me and the best you can do is give me their phone number and try phoning it? Aren't you even going to at least cut them off from your site?'

Shiply said this kind of thing happens quite often and they need to through their procedure.

Ruined my Sunday, as you can imagine and I've been on the phone to police and my bank fraud team all this morning too.
FK8 - Championship White
E86 - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm

Not used this type of services can some one, who knows, explain how it works?

I'm picking up that the couriers are freelance and pay a fee to the firm for leads. In which case the same person could be working for other couriers on deliveries and pick ups in your area.

cowboyjon

Post by cowboyjon » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm Not used this type of services can some one, who knows, explain how it works?

I'm picking up that the couriers are freelance and pay a fee to the firm for leads. In which case the same person could be working for other couriers on deliveries and pick ups in your area.
That's pretty much it mate.
FK8 - Championship White
E86 - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:41 pm

cowboyjon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:51 pm
buzyg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:42 pm Not used this type of services can some one, who knows, explain how it works?

That's pretty much it mate.
And the reason you probably would not be able to pursue Shiply in the small claims court is that your contract is with the transporter, not with Shiply. You are probably only able to recover the arrangement fee.

When I used them last month, I only paid the arrangement and a 10% deposit up front, and paid the balance when the transporter dropped off the car. If you are asked to pay 100% upfront for delivery, beware.
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:01 pm

This is from the Shipley website,

TRUST & SAFETY
Delivery companies go through a rigorous multi-stage fraud, background check and verification screening process. Our customer support team is on hand by phone and email to answer any questions.

That implies part of the service you are paying for is as stated, not sure how they can legally then say it's nothing to do with them if a courier found through their site rips you off.

Image Image

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:12 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:01 pm This is from the Shipley website,

TRUST & SAFETY
Delivery companies go through a rigorous multi-stage fraud, background check and verification screening process. Our customer support team is on hand by phone and email to answer any questions.

That implies part of the service you are paying for is as stated, not sure how they can legally then say it's nothing to do with them if a courier found through their site rips you off.
I expect they would seek to rely on clause 5.1.2 of their terms and conditions which basically excludes their liability for everything.

It’s pretty repugnant behaviour, but most of the “platform” sites operate in a similar way, whereby they are only providing a facility for buyer and seller to get together and not providing any guarantee of one or the other.