Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 Z4 Boot will not open

Claregs55

Post by Claregs55 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:35 pm

I wonder if anyone has a procedure to follow for opening the boot. The boot on my Z4 was working perfectly, whether by using the remote or roundel. Earlier today, the boot ceased to open. On using either the roundel or remote, it opens approx 1/4 inch and then will not open any further. It seems to be retained by the lock mechanism, which does not fully retract. Together with a helper, I have carefully levered the boot from one side to the other when activating the roundel - no luck. I have pushed / pulled the boot whilst activating the remote - no luck. I have tried levering the rear of boot upwards using a wooden wedge to avoid damage - no luck. The battery is new and fully charged.
Has anyone a procedure to open the boot without the expense of taking it to the dealer please?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:14 pm

Will the boot lid open when you operate the roof.
You could then prop up boot and remove the boot lid liner and try and get at the mechanism.

Claregs55

Post by Claregs55 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:43 am

Thanks - I’ll give it a go!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:06 am

Once you get to mechanism this video might help to solve problem.
Pushing the white triangle lever does the same as the badge switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8NjXpKM3pE

In the US the anti kidnap handle is attached to the white lever.

Claregs55

Post by Claregs55 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:22 am

Thanks - I’m struggling to get the boot open in order to get to the mechanism. I’ve had a look at the video and the mechanism looks as though there is no simple way to overcome it without some drastic actions!

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:02 am

How often had the car been used before the boot failed? If not a lot, it's worth trickle-charging the battery via the points in the engine bay or going for a 30-mile drive and then using the boot-opener on the key fob in one hand while pressing down and then pulling up the boot rim with the other.
Vidi, vici, veni

Claregs55

Post by Claregs55 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:18 pm

The boot is now open😀. At the third or fourth attempt, the hood retracted to a position where I could access the boot contents (wine!) by stopping the retraction mechanism midway (removing finger from switch). The boot still will not open as it should but now I can get to the retention mechanism to try and pinpoint the problem. Thanks to all who replied.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:40 pm

Note the boot part won't open with the lid up for roof storage.
It might if you take the boot liner off and get at the mechanism.

Probably find it's the usual boot problem, broken wire.
Just search on forum boot problems.

Claregs55

Post by Claregs55 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:04 pm

Problem found to be due to the left rear outer cable clip adrift of its proper location. As a result, the cable was not secured resulting in the left rear of the boot not unlocking. To get to it, I retracted the roof half way, released the switch, switched off the engine and removed the ignition key. With the front of the boot now open, I removed the cosmetic trim covering the boot lock mechanism and found the left rear cable not secured. It's a bit fiddly, but I managed to refit the outer cable where it should be. On closing the roof, the rear of the boot now opened as it should. Just to make sure that the outer cable was correctly secured, with the boot now open, the cable can be clearly seen.