Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum ads

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by flimper » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 am

Are there now ads on the forum or have I got something nasty on my phone?
Attachments
Screenshot_20220406_084738_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220406_084738_com.android.chrome.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

MKZ4000

Forum ads

Post by MKZ4000 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 am

Nope Get them too and can't close them. So annoying
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:07 am

Just started this week on my laptop. Every time I open a thread they pop up from the bottom and I have to close them again.
Frustrating to say the least.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:09 am

I’m getting the annoying one that expands upwards from the bottom of the page, i use an iPad.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

idej_z4

Forum ads

Post by idej_z4 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:11 am

I'm assuming the adverts are how the site makes money and keeps running by allowing display adverts from Google.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am

I get them as well and they are annoying as hell but if it help keep the site running so be it or maybe there needs to be an option to donate money so they can be stopped
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by MikeyH » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:30 am

Yep, me also. Comes up from the bottom every time I open new thread. Really annoying. :thumbsdown: Only on iPad as my computer has an add stopper. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:32 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am I get them as well and they are annoying as hell but if it help keep the site running so be it or maybe there needs to be an option to donate money so they can be stopped
I experienced this problem quite a while ago, it’s particularly bad on an iPad, so I installed Ad Blocker. Because I know this is part of the way the forum is funded I make a donation every now and then to compensate for any lost revenue it may cost by me running this software.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

sp3ctre
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Forum ads

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 am

Looks like it was a "feature" of Google adsense where they try out new stuff as an experiment. It was only on 50% of people by the looks of it to see if it worked better. I have turned it off now so the popup one should disappear (it's not instant, may take an hour or so).

I understand ads like this are annoying (I only just found out it was there) but using ad-blockers is a nail in the coffin for forums like this as the site is far too big now to be hosted on cheap hosting so we do need to cover costs. If everyone uses an ad blocker we will be closed down within a week.
    If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

pvr
    Legend
    Legend

Forum ads

Post by pvr » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:56 am

Got the same, had to stop using the phone as it was scrolling up and down over the screen
    Current:
    911-50 Black - unique spec
    X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
    Abarth 595 Comp.
    Golf Clipper - collectors item
    Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
    VW ID.3

Previous:
    Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
    Z4 3.0 Toledo

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:05 am

sp3ctre wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 am Looks like it was a "feature" of Google adsense where they try out new stuff as an experiment. It was only on 50% of people by the looks of it to see if it worked better. I have turned it off now so the popup one should disappear (it's not instant, may take an hour or so).

I understand ads like this are annoying (I only just found out it was there) but using ad-blockers is a nail in the coffin for forums like this as the site is far too big now to be hosted on cheap hosting so we do need to cover costs. If everyone uses an ad blocker we will be closed down within a week.
    Fixed it for me. Many thanks.
    So how much is a reasonable donation to help keep this hidden?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

sp3ctre
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Forum ads

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:18 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:05 am Fixed it for me. Many thanks.
    So how much is a reasonable donation to help keep this hidden?
    I don't ask for a set amount, in fact I don't ask for anything really as people are all in different circumstances and with cost of living shooting up I can quite understand why people would not be able to prioritise donating to a forum. That's why the ad system works well as viewing ads (either by not running a blocker or by adding us to the whitelist) allows us to cover our costs without taking money from people. That said, I can quite understand people being annoyed by pop-up ads (I would not have allowed those, had I known).

If people really really want to use a blocker on this site then so be it, I am not going to stop it, I am just appealing to people to support the forum in one way or another, if they are in a position to do so :thumbsup:
    If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:24 am

:thumbsup:
    Donation made.

sp3ctre
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Forum ads

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:33 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:24 am Donation made.
    Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Pondrew » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:36 am

On my PC the ads only appear at the very bottom of the screen and a small banner in the top RH corner, so not intrusive at all.
    Small price to pay IMHO for such a great website.
    The members obviously make it great but the attitude of the admin keep it great. Best forum I've ever seen by a long way.
    If adverts help keep it alive, I am all for them. :thumbsup:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!