Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Forum ads

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
tiglon

Forum ads

Post by tiglon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:54 am

It was just a little pop up banner at the top for me, nothing compared to a lot of websites, but I suppose how annoying it is depends on your device. More than happy to have ads 👍
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

brillomaster

Forum ads

Post by brillomaster » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:05 pm

i like the ads, they constantly remind me of what i'm considering buying! Normally car related parts... :lol:

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Lynchy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:12 pm

sp3ctre wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:46 am Looks like it was a "feature" of Google adsense where they try out new stuff as an experiment. It was only on 50% of people by the looks of it to see if it worked better. I have turned it off now so the popup one should disappear (it's not instant, may take an hour or so).

I understand ads like this are annoying (I only just found out it was there) but using ad-blockers is a nail in the coffin for forums like this as the site is far too big now to be hosted on cheap hosting so we do need to cover costs. If everyone uses an ad blocker we will be closed down within a week.
Thanks for getting rid of the ads they were driving me mad. Donation made :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:18 pm

On my iPad the ads are a complete PITA and almost made the site unusable due to pop ups and ads.

Donation made :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm

sp3ctre, seems you've hit on something here. Each time funds get a little low, switch the ads back on and a flurry of donations will come in. :rofl:
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Lynchy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Lynchy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:24 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm sp3ctre, seems you've hit on something here. Each time funds get a little low, switch the ads back on and a flurry of donations will come in. :rofl:
    :rofl:

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by MikeyH » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:54 pm

I don't mind the ads too much if it keeps the site alive, just don't like those annoying pop ups at the bottom. :D
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Pondrew » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm sp3ctre, seems you've hit on something here. Each time funds get a little low, switch the ads back on and a flurry of donations will come in.
    He didn't get to where he is by being somewhere else.... :lol:

I have no idea why the ads on here always seem to be related to sex of one description or another.....I presume they are the same for everyone? :?
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Scubaregs » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 pm I have no idea why the ads on here always seem to be related to sex of one description or another.....I presume they are the same for everyone? :?
    Pretty much, though the ads the rest of us get are straight. :poke: :rofl:
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:16 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:11 pm
    Pondrew wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 pm I have no idea why the ads on here always seem to be related to sex of one description or another.....I presume they are the same for everyone? :?
    Pretty much, though the ads the rest of us get are straight. :poke: :rofl:
    :rofl: :thumbsup:
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:07 pm
    enuff_zed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm sp3ctre, seems you've hit on something here. Each time funds get a little low, switch the ads back on and a flurry of donations will come in.
    He didn't get to where he is by being somewhere else.... :lol:

I have no idea why the ads on here always seem to be related to sex of one description or another.....I presume they are the same for everyone? :?
    Its just looking at your history, when you relaid the drive and typed in hard core it made some assumptions, all correct of course :rofl:
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 pm

The ads are gone now - were on the bottom of my Mac and an absolute pain when scrolling through the thread.

Donation made
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Forum ads

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:36 am On my PC the ads only appear at the very bottom of the screen and a small banner in the top RH corner, so not intrusive at all.
    Small price to pay IMHO for such a great website.
    The members obviously make it great but the attitude of the admin keep it great. Best forum I've ever seen by a long way.
    If adverts help keep it alive, I am all for them.
    That is all I get too and I don't mind them at all, especially if they help to fund the forum. :thumbsup:

But I'll carry on making a donation now and again.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Forum ads

Post by Pondrew » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:44 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm and typed in hard core it made some assumptions, all correct of course
    That will explain it......I am an amateur builder so use a lot of crushed aggregates. :P
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

sp3ctre
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Forum ads

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks for the donations, guys :thumbsup:
    If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme