Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Body stripes removal question

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:08 pm

I am interested in buying a car that has two thin vinyl stripes along the swage lines on both sides and horizontally across the bootlid (where the BMW badge is).
I don't like them but if I remove them I am concerned there will be some paint shade difference where they were. Is this likely and if so are there people who can get rid of it without a full respray?
The colour is Snapper Rocks Blue which has a lot of metallic flake and is extremely bright.
Thanks for any advice.

BTW the car is 4 years old so have to presume the pinstripes are the same age.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm

I would say the paint 'shade' should be fine. It's only 4 years old. However, it's almost certain the clearcoat under the stripes will be unmarked whereas the rest of the car will be swirled out/scratched etc. A good session with a D.A will probably sort it out :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:59 pm

Pondrew, boiling water poured over it or a hot air gun to remove the vinyl, then spirit wipe or methylated spirit to take away any left over glue. Try then a bit of metallic tcut and polish.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:12 pm

Thanks guys, makes me feel much better. Why anyone thought white and grey 'go-faster' stripes on an F33 was a good look is beyond me. I just hope they haven't been clear-coated over. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:39 pm

I use to design and fit car graphics and stripes back in the 80s for a living, see some of the horrors that people wanted then!

ukblade

Post by ukblade » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:09 am

I'm just about to do this to 2 full length stripes that have been on a BSM F32 for 6 years.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:34 am

ukblade wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:09 am I'm just about to do this to 2 full length stripes that have been on a BSM F32 for 6 years.
Mine are on an F33, so wonder if they were a factory option?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold