Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DIY Wheel refurb

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
obewan

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:09 pm

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else was thinking of tackling wheel refurbs themselves.

Over the years I'd touched up the odd nick/scuff using Titanium silver body paint.
I'd read that a lot of garages use it instead of Decor silver or Reflex silver as it was much cheaper and almost identical.
Correct.
However after a brush with a kerb last month I decided to bite the bullet and refurb all 4 wheels completely.
There was also some blistering on the inside.

In general I followed the process in the YouTube video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMoHzBvu6w

Preparation is key and I would also recommend using Isopon alloy wheel filler (Halfords) or similar rather than rubbing down too far, as this can spoil the profile.

The paint recommended by a local indie shop was Autotek.
The match was perfect.

I was amazed and delighted with the results, the paint went on really well and and the surface finish is excellent.
No lacquer is required with this particular paint.
The wheels, finished off with new centre caps, look brand new.
In between coats I also repainted the brake calipers

Total cost of materials about £50
A fair bit of work/time required but being retired there was no rush, A lot of job satisfaction as well
Attachments
Refurb 1.jpg
Refurb 1.jpg (250.76 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Special Kay

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Special Kay » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm

It looks very professional, you've done an incredible job :thumbsup: . I'm very tempted to attempt my kerbed and blistered MV2's. :thumbsup:

obewan

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:03 pm

Special Kay wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm It looks very professional, you've done an incredible job :thumbsup: . I'm very tempted to attempt my kerbed and blistered MV2's. :thumbsup:
Thank you - I took my time and actually enjoyed it.
My backstop was if it all went pear shape, I've only lost £50 and I could get them sorted locally
Knowing what I know now I'd have no hesitation doing it again
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

Special Kay

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Special Kay » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:07 pm

I think you've just inspired me to give it a try. Thank you :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Zedebee » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:50 pm

Definitely have a go, it’s very rewarding and good results are within reach of most people. But do not in any circumstances try to strip the existing paint finish of a wheel, even if it’s heavily blistered. It is bl**dy difficult unless you have an industrial acid-dip/shotblasting facility.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm

That looks decent, it’s pretty expensive to have wheels powder coated these days :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:04 pm

Excellent job Obewan. :thumbsup:
I was about to have a go at this with my 326Ms last summer but the place I was getting the paint online (I was going for the Decor Silver II), said they couldn't supply it in enough quantity!

So I put it on the back burner, but I'm going to give it a go now you've inspired me.

Couple of questions: Where did you get the paint? Also did you have to do any work on the lip by the tyre, as mine need work there and can't see how I will get in so close to the tyre? Did you spray the whole wheel? If so what about wheel weights? Sorry more than a couple!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

obewan

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:04 pm Excellent job Obewan. :thumbsup:
I was about to have a go at this with my 326Ms last summer but the place I was getting the paint online (I was going for the Decor Silver II), said they couldn't supply it in enough quantity!

So I put it on the back burner, but I'm going to give it a go now you've inspired me.

Couple of questions: Where did you get the paint? Also did you have to do any work on the lip by the tyre, as mine need work there and can't see how I will get in so close to the tyre? Did you spray the whole wheel? If so what about wheel weights? Sorry more than a couple!
Hi Pondrew
The paint (Autotek*) was just from a local indie motorist shop, £6.50 & £7.00 for a 500ml tin.
I assume it was a brand available nationwide. I can call in and ask if you want? (I use him a lot for all the extended family car servicing)

* the address is Salmon Fields, Royton, Oldham. Tel: 0161 6270101

There were some very small marks on the lip (most were on the flat face). I found the best way was to rub down the rough edges then fill with Isopon. Then using a folded up piece of wet and dry to get smooth. I can't say I had much trouble getting in there TBH as the tyre rim protector is quite pronounced - so there is a 'hollow' there
Or have I mis-understood?

Yes, I sprayed the whole wheel. I particularly wanted to do the wheel weights as the tyres are relatively new and they stood out like a sore thumb :(
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:31 pm

obewan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 pm Yes, I sprayed the whole wheel. I particularly wanted to do the wheel weights as the tyres are relatively new and they stood out like a sore thumb :(
So you sprayed the 'inners' of the wheels too? Did you mask out the little 'M' badges, or replace them?

Thanks for the advice I am going to give it a go. As you said, if I cock it up, only a few quid wasted and the local wheel repairers get business sooner! :thumbsup:

Edit: found the paint online. How many 500ml tins did four wheels use?
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by MikeyH » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:40 pm

That is a top notch job and certainly looks very professional. Like everything worth doing properly it takes time and patience, when mine get bad I'm going to give it a go now. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

obewan

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:31 pm
obewan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 pm Yes, I sprayed the whole wheel. I particularly wanted to do the wheel weights as the tyres are relatively new and they stood out like a sore thumb :(
So you sprayed the 'inners' of the wheels too? Did you mask out the little 'M' badges, or replace them?

Thanks for the advice I am going to give it a go. As you said, if I cock it up, only a few quid wasted and the local wheel repairers get business sooner! :thumbsup:
Yep, all over 100%
I masked off the valve stem, back of the hub and centre bore and the M badges
Having said that, I decided to buy new centre caps - one of the options on E-bay also included the M badge but I didn't bother as I'd already masked them off.
I also bought some sterling grey wheel nut caps - they finish it all off a treat :thumbsup:

I did the inners first, as when you turn the wheel over you can then rest it on a bit of wood across the rim protectors.
Keeping the wheel clear on the work surface
Doing the spoke side first meant they touched the worktop when I turned over.
Also any overspray is covered over on the 'good side'

I suppose I could have used a bigger piece of wood, but I had one on a work bench and one on top of a dustbin :D

Good luck

Edit: I used 3 tins of primer - probably over did it. The YouTube vid just says spray repair areas. I put on about 3-4 coats.
3 tins of top coat (warns you not to use a lacquer) and put 3-4 coats on
Although the first coat is just a really light spray - still got about 1/3 tin left
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

obewan

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by obewan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:40 pm That is a top notch job and certainly looks very professional. Like everything worth doing properly it takes time and patience, when mine get bad I'm going to give it a go now. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheers MikeyH - my wife's fed up of me mentioning it :rofl:
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:58 pm

That's a fantastic finish "obewan" - you must be really pleased with them. :thumbsup:

If it helps anyone I got a set of M badges on Ebay for less than £3 after I had my wheels refurbed last year and they look fine.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Pondrew » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 pm

obewan wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 pm Cheers MikeyH - my wife's fed up of me mentioning it :rofl:
Women eh? When I do mine and tell the wife how much money I saved us, she will say "I hope so cos it's taken you long enough". :headbang:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

DIY Wheel refurb

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:16 pm

That looks like a cracking job - there's a retirement business there if you need it :rofl:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.