Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CarPlay/AA MMI box with MOST connection

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:44 pm

Thanx for the update :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

(555

Post by (555 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:07 pm

Wolter wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Wolter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:30 pm I have installed mine behind the radio unit but near the bulkhead to the motorroom.
Can you do everything through that side access from driver's leg room, or you'd need to remove the radio/cd system and mount it in that location from the front of the dash panel (ahead of gear stick)?
If in doubt, flat out.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm

How can you tell if you have the CDC required?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Wolter

Post by Wolter » Sun May 29, 2022 6:09 pm

(555 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:07 pm Can you do everything through that side access from driver's leg room, or you'd need to remove the radio/cd system and mount it in that location from the front of the dash panel (ahead of gear stick)?
Initial installation requires radio/cd and gearstick trim removal as well. Depending where you put the mic also steering column cowl.

Future software updates requires only the drivers leg panel removal.
mcbutler wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm How can you tell if you have the CDC required?
Not sure what you mean exactly but after initial installation of the box the correct parameter automatically showed up in my CIC.
Guess once powered up the mr12volt box modifies the required parameter in your cic.

Afterwards in my case it took some trial and error and finally a cd in my radio cd player to get everything working; by that I mean mr12volt box showing up as a cdc in my cic multimedia menu. Once I could select it the mr12volt box properly showed up on screen.
2010 E89 2.3i Tiefseeblau Metallic
1999 R1100S Marakesh Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 30, 2022 8:04 am

(555 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:07 pm
Wolter wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:30 pm I have installed mine behind the radio unit but near the bulkhead to the motorroom.

Can you do everything through that side access from driver's leg room, or you'd need to remove the radio/cd system and mount it in that location from the front of the dash panel (ahead of gear stick)?
Mounting-wise, you have a few options.......
1) Lower the glovebox and stick it to the top of it, this way you can also feed the trailing USB cable through the back of the glovebox.
2) Using zip-ties strap the box above the glovebox, again the USB can go into the glovebox.
3) Remove the dash front panel and slot the box into the space behind the air-con controls. This is a good fit, not too tight and supported enough not to create any rattles. Downside is that the USB won't reach the glovebox openings, so another location for the USB has to be found.

All three options will require you to remove stuff for a firmware update, but this is not a common occurrence anyway, so no real issue.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 30, 2022 8:12 am

mcbutler wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm How can you tell if you have the CDC required?
There are two ways....
1) You have a CD Changer in the glovebox
2) Your car left the factory with CDC Prep (VO Code 694). How do I know if it has VO 694? Go to bimmer.work and enter your VIN and it'll give you a list of the specs your car left the factory with. If you've got 694 then this should automatically sort itself and display correctly.

If you don't have 694 then this can still be coded to work and is a very quick coding to perform.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 30, 2022 8:20 am

Wolter wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Made some pictures of the location. Have used some velcro to stick the box to the ventilation box while still being able to remove for future software updates.
:thumbsup: I like the location, seems a nice tidy solution. Would it be OK to use these photos in my upcoming video?
Dave

Wolter

Post by Wolter » Mon May 30, 2022 8:35 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:20 am I like the location, seems a nice tidy solution. Would it be OK to use these photos in my upcoming video?
Sure Dave, free to use as you see fit. :thumbsup:
1999 R1100S Marakesh Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 30, 2022 8:42 am

Video update**

Sorry guys, more delays still. A general lack of time and the constant additional options I keep thinking of (which I then have to check and video/photo).
I think it's now 90% there so need to do an intro and titles for it and it should be ready.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon May 30, 2022 8:43 am

Wolter wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:35 am
AnubisZed wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:20 am I like the location, seems a nice tidy solution. Would it be OK to use these photos in my upcoming video?
Sure Dave, free to use as you see fit. :thumbsup:
Thank you, you will receive a shout-out on the video :thumbsup:
Dave

Wolter

Post by Wolter » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 pm

Wolter wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm Currently my box is in process of replacement by mr12volt. They had no other solution for the glitching other than to swap the unit and cabling as a complete set.
Just an other update from my side.
Received a complete new replacement unit this week.
After installing it (including new wiring etc.) I am experiencing the exact same issue as with previous box; glitching of the oem menu ‘s on the display after using the mr12volt box.
Video of box itself/carplay etc. remain ok.
The glitching gets worse the longer the box is in use up to a point the display does not show any oem menu display at all anymore (completely black or alternating black/red display)….frustrating. :headbang:

As said, if I leave the box in operation the video remains ok and glitch-free. Issue only arrises after using the box and switching back to the oem system using the menu button.

Anyone else have installed a comparable box in comparable setup and experience no issues?
1999 R1100S Marakesh Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Wolter wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 pm
Wolter wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm Currently my box is in process of replacement by mr12volt. They had no other solution for the glitching other than to swap the unit and cabling as a complete set.
Just an other update from my side.
Received a complete new replacement unit this week.
After installing it (including new wiring etc.) I am experiencing the exact same issue as with previous box; glitching of the oem menu ‘s on the display after using the mr12volt box.
Video of box itself/carplay etc. remain ok.
The glitching gets worse the longer the box is in use up to a point the display does not show any oem menu display at all anymore (completely black or alternating black/red display)….frustrating. :headbang:

As said, if I leave the box in operation the video remains ok and glitch-free. Issue only arrises after using the box and switching back to the oem system using the menu button.

Anyone else have installed a comparable box in comparable setup and experience no issues?
Alas not a way I've used my box as I have it in box mode all the time, very rare I'd switch back to OE screen unless it's for PDC screen. I'll check mine to see what happens, what sort of timescale are you talking, minutes hours etc?
Dave

Wolter

Post by Wolter » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:59 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:49 pm Alas not a way I've used my box as I have it in box mode all the time, very rare I'd switch back to OE screen unless it's for PDC screen. I'll check mine to see what happens, what sort of timescale are you talking, minutes hours etc?
Think this video shows it all…

1999 R1100S Marakesh Red

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 pm

Wolter wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:59 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:49 pm Alas not a way I've used my box as I have it in box mode all the time, very rare I'd switch back to OE screen unless it's for PDC screen. I'll check mine to see what happens, what sort of timescale are you talking, minutes hours etc?
Think this video shows it all…

Tried mine on the way home, had it on the box for ten minutes then switched over to normal iDrive menu and put the sat nav on (so still had the sound from the box) and it was spot on.
So really not sure as to what could be wrong with yours. Now I'm assuming you have changed the box and the LVDS cable?
Dave

Wolter

Post by Wolter » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:58 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:41 pm So really not sure as to what could be wrong with yours. Now I'm assuming you have changed the box and the LVDS cable?
Yes, complete swap including all cables.
When I remove the box and connect all original wiring no glitching at all. So definitely something to do with the box/included cabling in combination with my setup.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
1999 R1100S Marakesh Red