Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CarPlay/AA MMI box with MOST connection

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 am

Morning all,

Well a lot of you have seen my videos on installing the MMI boxes for CarPlay/AA into your CIC, and I know there has been a fair bit of discussion regarding the AUX connection for the output from the box to the headunit. I know that the AUX is probably the worst sound route within the car so can be a problem.
Well a company called Mr12volt have produced an MMI box that outputs its sound via the MOSTbus fibre optic network, so you are receiving a digital sound signal, which is as best as you can in the car. These boxes work similar to the originals I've dealt with before, but you do need to have the CD Changer option for these to work (otherwise you'd need a little bit of coding done), so instead of accessing the AUX option for the sound you simply go to CDC1 instead.

I've got one of these arriving today so will be installing it very soon and then I'll also be producing a video for my YouTube channel so you guys can see how easy it is to install :thumbsup:

Retail cost is $379 (which worked out at £300 through PayPal) with free delivery in the UK (and some other countries), so if it's something you'd like to look into here's the link for the standard box...
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/bm ... wNLPXC4sdI
And here is the new DSP box ($429)...
https://www.mr12volt.com/collections/bm ... wNLPXC4sdI

EDIT**
And to update this post properly, here is my video on the installation of my box...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4XAzUYiXk&t
Attachments
P2000BMWCIC_720x.jpg
P2000BMWCIC_720x.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Last edited by AnubisZed on Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am

Will be very interested to see how you get on with this…

As discussed the aux out was a showstopper for some of us.

I don’t have a separate CD player so wonder how it works in that case?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:19 am

B21 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am Will be very interested to see how you get on with this…

So for those that don't already have CDC Prep then you'd need to have CDC added to the VO (694) and then have a setting within the CIC MAN file changed to MP3 and you're done. This is assuming you've got the MOST network, but even then if you didn't the kit come with enough parts to replicate this for the job :thumbsup:

I've already got a customer who wants one fitting so at least I'll have mine done for practice beforehand :D
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:21 am

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:19 am
B21 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 am Will be very interested to see how you get on with this…

So for those that don't already have CDC Prep then you'd need to have CDC added to the VO (694) and then have a setting within the CIC MAN file changed to MP3 and you're done. This is assuming you've got the MOST network, but even then if you didn't the kit come with enough parts to replicate this for the job :thumbsup:

I've already got a customer who wants one fitting so at least I'll have mine done for practice beforehand :D
Great crack on ..if it’s not too good to be true I’ll add it to the audio upgrade this winter… :thumbsup:

Look forward to the updates..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm

If its better than the shite carsara mt store was selling I will swap mine out for one of these as well.
I noticed that when you check the stores location oin their site you get a 404 error and trying to register for emails/coupons you get more errors.

After my experience i am naturally suspicious - is this another 'its actually in china' company......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:50 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm If its better than the shite carsara mt store was selling I will swap mine out for one of these as well.
I noticed that when you check the stores location oin their site you get a 404 error and trying to register for emails/coupons you get more errors.

After my experience i am naturally suspicious - is this another 'its actually in china' company......
I can't say for certainwhere they are actually located, but i suspect China, but saying that they seem to be a more "with it" company and have been trading for a number of years now.

Test fitted mine today, proper fit next week, and all seems very good. Sound is good, not much set ip required, and i didn't need any coding.

All good so far :thumbsup:
Dave

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:57 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:50 pm
mcbutler wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm If its better than the shite carsara mt store was selling I will swap mine out for one of these as well.

I can't say for certainwhere they are actually located, but i suspect China, but saying that they seem to be a more "with it" company and have been trading for a number of years now.

Test fitted mine today, proper fit next week, and all seems very good. Sound is good, not much set ip required, and i didn't need any coding.

All good so far :thumbsup:
Excellent news Dave - mine is so bad now its just embarrassing I always keep the display closed. It gets worse as the weather gets warmer so I think its definetely some discreet component error in the box.
Either way I'm gonna stamp on it when i get it out lol
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:55 pm

The phone number on the website is for Hong Kong. Most of these Chinese / Hong Kong company's websites are crap and does not necessarily give you an indication of how well the company will perform.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:49 am

Looks interesting, although my MMI is working quite well no one knows what long term reliability is like. Alternatives are always welcome.
One problem I see with the Mr12volt box is the software update SD card slot, not exactly convenient if the box is fitted above the glovebox.....

Edit: Looks like there is a USB socket in the wiring, that may do it

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:16 pm

Roddy wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:49 am Looks interesting, although my MMI is working quite well no one knows what long term reliability is like. Alternatives are always welcome.
One problem I see with the Mr12volt box is the software update SD card slot, not exactly convenient if the box is fitted above the glovebox.....

Edit: Looks like there is a USB socket in the wiring, that may do it
To be fair there was nothing wrong with my MMI either but I was aware of this new box and wanted to try it out, see how well it performs, make a video and report back on whether it's worth it or not.
So my first "thing" to report on was from my test fitting, now I know that a lot of people "say" they can tell the poor quality of the AUX input, well I don't hear it myself not at least while driving. So I played the same song on both my original and the new one and they both sounded spot on to me with plenty of base and trebble, with nothing missing. Now I'm not saying that this new one is no better, I'm saying that I thought that it sounded good and spot-on, but I've never had any complaints about the sound from the original one, maybe that's just me, or maybe that's because I set the graphic equalizer (in the MMI settings) up for my taste.

Oh and not sure if I've mentioned this, but this new type box does not plug into the quadlock connector at the back of the headunit, so no issues in trying to squeeze all of the wiring back in behind it anymore!

Full report once I've fitted it :thumbsup:
Dave

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 am

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:16 pm To be fair there was nothing wrong with my MMI either but I was aware of this new box and wanted to try it out, see how well it performs, make a video and report back on whether it's worth it or not.
So my first "thing" to report on was from my test fitting, now I know that a lot of people "say" they can tell the poor quality of the AUX input, well I don't hear it myself not at least while driving. So I played the same song on both my original and the new one and they both sounded spot on to me with plenty of base and trebble, with nothing missing. Now I'm not saying that this new one is no better, I'm saying that I thought that it sounded good and spot-on, but I've never had any complaints about the sound from the original one, maybe that's just me, or maybe that's because I set the graphic equalizer (in the MMI settings) up for my taste.
I have the old style MMI box connected via the AUX and similarly I can't see anything wrong with the sound quality. I have upgraded my base 6 speaker set up with amps and subs and the sound is just great, everyone that has heard my system has said it sounds fantastic. I think you'd have to be a real audiophile to notice any difference. In the MMI I have the EQ set to flat and even so, no issues on the quality front.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:15 am

I'm not sure what changed in mine since installation, there are no change logs naturally :headbang: but initially I didn't like the aux sound. Recently I tried adjusting with the equalizer that (I think) wasn't there originally, and also changed the loudness settings. Now the sound is OK.
I notice Mr12volt has 2 versions for CIC, there is also a blue unit with equalizer coming soon, so I think that may have appeared on mine after one of the updates if that's possible.
Keen to see how you get on AnubisZed, as mentioned my only (major) concern currently is long term reliability. Future options in the event of failure would be good.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:21 pm

Roddy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:15 am I'm not sure what changed in mine since installation, there are no change logs naturally :headbang: but initially I didn't like the aux sound. Recently I tried adjusting with the equalizer that (I think) wasn't there originally, and also changed the loudness settings. Now the sound is OK.
Have you done a firmware update since you had it? That's the only way it could have changed, unless you simply didn't notice it.
Roddy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:15 amI notice Mr12volt has 2 versions for CIC, there is also a blue unit with equalizer coming soon, so I think that may have appeared on mine after one of the updates if that's possible.
Yes the blue one (DSP inside) is the new version that has the equalizer built-in, which is following some complaints regarding the low end frequencies, as I posted previously though I heard/had no issues with my sound set-up.
Roddy wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:15 amKeen to see how you get on AnubisZed, as mentioned my only (major) concern currently is long term reliability. Future options in the event of failure would be good.
Well I'll keep this thread updated as I have info, and I'll post the video up as well as soon as I complete it. :thumbsup:
Dave

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:05 am

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:21 pm
Have you done a firmware update since you had it? That's the only way it could have changed, unless you simply didn't notice it.
Yes, a few updates for the CUST version, and once for MCU. I remember getting advice on another thread about adjusting volume levels, pretty sure I would have noticed the EQ and Loudness options. Whatever that Loudness <400+h> setting is, it made a world of difference :thumbsup:
IMG_20220330_100016.jpg
IMG_20220330_100016.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Attachments
IMG_20220330_100036.jpg
IMG_20220330_100036.jpg (62.69 KiB) Viewed 1664 times

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:05 am

Roddy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:05 am
AnubisZed wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:21 pm
Yes, a few updates for the CUST version, and once for MCU. I remember getting advice on another thread about adjusting volume levels, pretty sure I would have noticed the EQ and Loudness options. Whatever that Loudness <400+h> setting is, it made a world of difference :thumbsup:

IMG_20220330_100016.jpg
That'll be it then, those weren't in the original firmware only in later updates :thumbsup:
Dave