Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Extended warranty

Discussing the current generation Z4
ori

Extended warranty

Post by ori » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, anyone renew the warranty on their zed after the 3 years and if yes, how much was it?

I always extended on my previous zed cars and I remember it wasn’t expensive.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:33 am

Have you had any problems with the car so far? If not I would not extend the warranty, if yes then I would. Remember warranties make money for those selling them, so statistically the odds are on your side.
Never taken an extended warranty on any car or bike, but had I kept the 718 I would have due to it needing £1300 of warranty work at 2 1/2 years old and circa 12,000 miles.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ori

Extended warranty

Post by ori » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:20 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:33 am Have you had any problems with the car so far? If not I would not extend the warranty, if yes then I would. Remember warranties make money for those selling them, so statistically the odds are on your side.
Never taken an extended warranty on any car or bike, but had I kept the 718 I would have due to it needing £1300 of warranty work at 2 1/2 years old and circa 12,000 miles.
Not had any warrantee work on this car. Only been 4 months!

For circa £450 on my 35is at the time it was well worth it for peace of mind.
It’s not the little things that would hurt, but suddenly getting a 2-3k bill hurts. So I’m buying peace of mind in case something big goes pop.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:27 pm

And they are making money on that "peace of mind" :D

I'd be tempted, provided car needs no work before renewal, to let it be, unless of course it is inexpensive to buy.

Image Image

ori

Extended warranty

Post by ori » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:06 pm

Of course they make money on it. That’s why they sell it.
However, like all insurance, if you don’t need it you begrudge having it, but if you do!!

It’s a question of what I can afford. On my previous 35is, I had a 6k claim!
Car insurance……in my last 20 years I had 1 claim for 3k……a lot less than the premiums I paid all those years.

I don’t bother with iPad or phone insurance as I can afford to fix/replace them if I need to, but imagine if engine goes pop on the car. Shouldn’t do, but it does happen. How much would that set me back? Could I afford it?
Rather spend £500 a year on a warrantee and not worry about it.

Hence I asked if anyone knows how much it is on a g29!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:31 pm

Porsche would have been just over £640 pa iirc for a two year extended warranty on the 718, so think you may be in that ballpark.

Image Image

Obs-Com

Extended warranty

Post by Obs-Com » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:02 pm

Interesting you start this thread Ori as I’ve never been interested in extended warranties until now. I usually don’t keep my cars long enough but the M40i (especially in Frozen Orange!) is a keeper. It’s paid for and is one of the easiest cars I’ve ever had to look after! :roll:

Mine is 3 years old in June. It has a 5 year service pack and has always been looked after by BMW. I’d like to think that any major issue would be dealt with positively given its history. However, like you, having a warranty does give some peace of mind.

I’ve not looked into BMW extended warranty yet as plan to do this when I extend my Connected Package and it goes in for it’s pre MOT check which is included as part of existing 3 year warranty. Warranty Direct who come out very well on warranty reviews have quoted me £295 with £150 excess. I also understand this allows me to use BMW main dealer for warranty work.

I will be interested in the views of others and price comparisons but I do think it’s a good idea, just in case!
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

Ian J

Extended warranty

Post by Ian J » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:33 am Have you had any problems with the car so far? If not I would not extend the warranty, if yes then I would. Remember warranties make money for those selling them, so statistically the odds are on your side.
My wife is 3.5 years in to a 4 year PCP on a Seat Ibiza and last month she had to have a new steering column at a cost of £3,000 and is now wishing that she took out a year's warranty on it

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:31 pm

Ian J wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 pm
My wife is 3.5 years in to a 4 year PCP on a Seat Ibiza and last month she had to have a new steering column at a cost of £3,000 and is now wishing that she took out a year's warranty on it
And somewhere there is a lot of other people paying for warranties they will never claim on. It's personal choice, but as I said the odds are in your favour as more is collected in premiums that paid out in claims, as in all insurances.

Image Image

pvr
Legend
Legend

Extended warranty

Post by pvr » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm

I wouldn’t dream of not having the expensive warranty on the Porsche as repairs can be 20-30k. I did not renew the warranty on the X5M though as I only drive 3k a year or so and it is not my main car
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ori

Extended warranty

Post by ori » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:04 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm I wouldn’t dream of not having the expensive warranty on the Porsche as repairs can be 20-30k. I did not renew the warranty on the X5M though as I only drive 3k a year or so and it is not my main car
So opinions will vary and experiences will vary.
My mate had a 911 (996) and he said warrantee was a waste of money. Timing chain went on his car and it was a new engine job! He sold the car massively under market value just to get rid of it.

Another mate had a 911 (997) and again he would pay up for a warrantee and bam he had a 3k repair bill on the engine.

I had a new gearbox on my 35is and 2 new rear light clusters on my previous zed.
All big repairs paid for by warrantee.

I found that going with bmw warrantee was easier than using a third party. Firstly, they settle directly with BMW and you don’t need to pay out in order to get the work done and reclaim after. Also it’s quicker as the dealership does all the claim for you.

You can go to the bmw warrantee page and get a quote 90 days before your car hits 3 years. Worth a go no? See what they come up with an excess and without. Also with roadside and without.

I personally would not have a prestige car without a warranty…..you might be lucky and be ok, or you can afford big bills and prefer to self insure. I can’t afford to self insure so I take warrantee.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:13 pm

ori, it's not about being lucky, that implies the majority of cars will require work on a warranty item. It's more about being one of the unlucky few who do get a big bill and you don't have a warranty.

Will I warranty mine? If it needs work during the manufacturer's warranty period then probably yes as it will point towards a potentially "problem" car. If it doesn’t need work in that period, it would depend on the cost of an extended warranty but the likelihood is I would not.

Image Image

pvr
Legend
Legend

Extended warranty

Post by pvr » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:18 pm

I worked in a similar way with the X5s I have had. First one had some expensive repairs and kept warranty which I needed several times. The second e70 had hardly any warranty work, did not renew it and never needed it. The M had 0 warranty work so did not extend it either
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Extended warranty

Post by ronk » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:22 pm

I bought my E89 in Sep '16 and at the end of three years I bought a BMW Insured warranty
Its £420 with a £250 excess. It also include at home assist

Ive not needed to use it but its been peace of mind and I would have been financially better off if I had bunged the annual premium in my piggy bank. However Sods Law being what it is, I decided on the cautious approach and probably would do again.

If the time ever comes to sell - the warranty will go with it. Im sure a well specced 35is. Low miles and a warranty would sell ok.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ori

Extended warranty

Post by ori » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:24 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:13 pm ori, it's not about being lucky, that implies the majority of cars will require work on a warranty item. It's more about being one of the unlucky few who do get a big bill and you don't have a warranty.

Will I warranty mine? If it needs work during the manufacturer's warranty period then probably yes as it will point towards a potentially "problem" car. If it doesn’t need work in that period, it would depend on the cost of an extended warranty but the likelihood is I would not.
I have to disagree here. Cars go wrong. My friend just had a warrantee claim on his x5. Wing mirror indicator went. Small claim, but still £120 plus vat.
His 911 turbo S costs him a lot of money to extend the warrantee on, but he does it every year and funnily enough it has never had a claim.
He can afford any repair, in the same way he can replace any of his expensive watches, but he still insures them.

For me as I’ve explained it’s simple. In the unluckily event that something big goes pop on my car, I can’t afford to drop 6k plus on a potential engine problem. So I’ll pay £500 a year and not take that risk.
From memory the parts alone for my 35is gearbox was circa 4K.