Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre replacement

Discussing the current generation Z4
Bridgehouse

Tyre replacement

Post by Bridgehouse » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:29 pm

Went out today for a nice long jaunt to enjoy the decent weather. All was superb until I picked up a nail in the n/s rear. Bah.

It might be repairable, it might not. However, I'm trying to work out the best course of action in terms of getting a replacement and/or repair. Do I play it safe at the dealers, or trust a mobile outfit, or a drive in place?

What would you guys recommend? It's still got the Pilot Super Sports on so I guess it will be one of those. Only got 2400 miles on the car so no point in doing both rears I expect.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyre replacement

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:35 pm

That's a shame. :(

If it can't be repaired I'd replace it with the same MPSS. At that mileage I can't see any need to replace both rears, unless you've worn a load of tread off the other one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Bridgehouse

Tyre replacement

Post by Bridgehouse » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:18 am

Yeah. I've ordered a MPSS and mobile fitting on Tuesday. Ho hum, it's the way it is..

I guess it could possibly be repaired, but to be honest I think I'd prefer to replace - not sure I'd entirely trust a repair. Plus I don't know if the sidewall is now knackered after I limped home with lower pressure. I've had a good look at it tonight and it's off centre but probably in the safe 75% zone, but it's a decent sized nail stuck in there..

ori

Tyre replacement

Post by ori » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:19 am

Hopefully can be repaired. Where on the tyre is the nail?

Bridgehouse

Tyre replacement

Post by Bridgehouse » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:24 am

ori wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:19 am Hopefully can be repaired. Where on the tyre is the nail?
Off centre - I’d say about half way between mid point and the edge.

We shall see when they turn up I guess! If it can then great - I’ll keep the new tyre as a spare and get it fitted when it needs it!!

Bridgehouse

Tyre replacement

Post by Bridgehouse » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:28 am

I've been reflecting on it, and I've decided it's bloody typical.

Previous decent car was an XC60. Had 3 tyres go on that with nails/screws/bolts.

I've also got a Fiat Panda as a run about and a VW Caddy van. Both are old, and the tyres are 1/5 of the cost of an equivalent on the Z4. Never had a single nail or anything in either. In fact, I think the tyres on the Caddy are made of granite or something..

Gah!

sw4nny

Tyre replacement

Post by sw4nny » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:26 am

Bridgehouse wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:28 am I've been reflecting on it, and I've decided it's bloody typical.

Previous decent car was an XC60. Had 3 tyres go on that with nails/screws/bolts.

I've also got a Fiat Panda as a run about and a VW Caddy van. Both are old, and the tyres are 1/5 of the cost of an equivalent on the Z4. Never had a single nail or anything in either. In fact, I think the tyres on the Caddy are made of granite or something..

Gah!
Perhaps its because when out in the the Z your closer to the apex on the dirty ground picking up junk. :wink:
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Bridgehouse

Tyre replacement

Post by Bridgehouse » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:33 am

sw4nny wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:26 am
Bridgehouse wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:28 am I've been reflecting on it, and I've decided it's bloody typical.

Gah!
Perhaps its because when out in the the Z your closer to the apex on the dirty ground picking up junk. :wink:
You’ve not seen me drive the Caddy :D

ori

Tyre replacement

Post by ori » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:39 pm

Bridgehouse wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:24 am
ori wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:19 am Hopefully can be repaired. Where on the tyre is the nail?
Off centre - I’d say about half way between mid point and the edge.

We shall see when they turn up I guess! If it can then great - I’ll keep the new tyre as a spare and get it fitted when it needs it!!
That should be repairable. A good tyre place will fix that up without issue.

Roadster_Surrey

Tyre replacement

Post by Roadster_Surrey » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:52 am

You should be able to fix it easily and cheaply. I paid £25 to fix puncture in Audi and I was glad, because new tyre was £300 or more. Wasn't so lucky with one of my new cars, nail in the side wall on a way from the dealer. Had to buy new tyre at 220 miles. At least it was cheap.

q96169we

Tyre replacement

Post by q96169we » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm

I personally won't consider repairing the tyre. The car is very capable, the repair may not be able to take the load and may give up on any occasion when you enjoy the car's performance.

About where to fix/change the tyre, I think it doesn't really matter as it's not those crazy thin sidewall tyre which may need better equipment, neither is it RFT on z4. If you want to match other tyres from factory, just make sure you buy star marked PSS.

ori

Tyre replacement

Post by ori » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:37 pm

q96169we wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm I personally won't consider repairing the tyre. The car is very capable, the repair may not be able to take the load and may give up on any occasion when you enjoy the car's performance.

About where to fix/change the tyre, I think it doesn't really matter as it's not those crazy thin sidewall tyre which may need better equipment, neither is it RFT on z4. If you want to match other tyres from factory, just make sure you buy star marked PSS.
From my understanding, a puncture repair is as good as anything. Maybe not for track use, but in theory there is no reason for it not to be as good. Depends on the puncture obviously.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Tyre replacement

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:54 pm

I had a Pirelli run-flat repaired on my 123d in 2013 for £10 and never had any issues with it over the next 11,000 miles! Which was handy as back then I was paying £300 a pair for 17" P Zero run-flats.

But on my Z4 I'd just bite the bullet and have a new tyre for peace of mind.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

q96169we

Tyre replacement

Post by q96169we » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:06 am

ori wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:37 pm
q96169we wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm I personally won't consider repairing the tyre. The car is very capable, the repair may not be able to take the load and may give up on any occasion when you enjoy the car's performance.

From my understanding, a puncture repair is as good as anything. Maybe not for track use, but in theory there is no reason for it not to be as good. Depends on the puncture obviously.
Yeah, agree. It depends on the puncture and the quality of repair. I had not so good experience with tyre repair so after that, I never repair the tyre. It is only my experience though.

ori

Tyre replacement

Post by ori » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:13 pm

q96169we, see, I’ve had a decent experience.
I’ve also looked into it. If it’s a good repair and is in the golden area of the tyre then the repair is as good as original. Racing tyres are repaired!
I usually take a view. If it’s a new tyre I’m not throwing it away! If it’s past 70% then it’s 2 new tyres. Keep the balance.