Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue and fault codes - help please

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:26 am

I guess with the sun coming out, this is the time of year for a few roof issues for us fair weather drivers as we open the tin lid for the first time in a few months.

So I opened the top on Thursday, there was a bit of a clonk and it appeared the boot lid had not opened enough to allow the other sections to pass, so the whole thing became stuck half open. With help from my daughter operating the up and down buttons and some gentle encouragement from after some open/close jiggling we finally got the roof fully down… and then back into the closed position where it has stayed.

I put my code reader on it yesterday and these are the three things that came up;

- JBE junction box electronics A6CF AUC Sensor
- E721status sensor AUC, 2DO
- A696 Hall sensor, open circuit, closing movement rear end module

I wonder if these codes are indicative of a genuine issue (probably a sensor of some kind?). Or is it possible the codes were created due to the myriad of battery issues that can occur on the trusty E89.

Additional info, battery is less than two years old and the legendary salmon relays were changed when I bought the car, so also less than 2 years old. I did put the CTEK on the battery all day yesterday so it’s definitely fully charged now, but I don’t want to try it again until I get some more expert opinion on what the root cause might be from the good folk here.

As always I’d appreciate any help from you fine Zedding people :thumbsup:

Stash36

Post by Stash36 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:31 am

Hi mate, no replies so far...possibly because there are threads upon threads with this info if you search your Hall sensor error, or possibly because you're called Big Bad Boris!

The first two errors look Air Con related.

Couple of vids below here on a696...not sure if this helps but keep searching on here, you'll find the answer.
Looks for posts by Robbi Z4, he is a roof expert based in Germany and he is THE knowledge on these things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWhGr8EBnAM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0jdNtWzKoQ

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 pm

p.jpg
p.jpg (8.6 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 am

Finally I am back to trying to resolve this after a few goings on, including my turn with everyone’s favourite virus :cry:

I had and have read plenty of background information on the subject of of roof issues, particularly the great work and instruction penned by the legendary RobbieZ4. Sometimes for us less mechanically oriented bods it does become a little heavy going and seeing the wood for the trees is a little tricky.

My error code of “ A696 Hall sensor, open circuit, closing movement rear end module” appears to be generated by either of several micro switches or hall sensors.

Having tested again yesterday with my wife operating the buttons while I shout in panic, I ascertained the key issue seems to be the boot clam isn’t opening far enough (or perhaps quickly enough) before an attempt is made to stow the rear window, the window lifter arms then jam against the flexible sections on the boot lid, fortunately after a little manoeuvring the roof will go back up without issue or damage.

Given the fault code and what I have described, my question now is where do I start i.e. which is the most likely culprit in terms of micro switches and hall sensors? Again research tells me the micro switches on the right of the car are possibly the leading candidates with hall sensor(s), of which I believe there are 4, a close second,

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:04 am

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 am Having tested again yesterday with my wife operating the buttons while I shout in panic, I ascertained the key issue seems to be the boot clam isn’t opening far enough (or perhaps quickly enough) before an attempt is made to stow the rear window, the window lifter arms then jam against the flexible sections on the boot lid, fortunately after a little manoeuvring the roof will go back up without issue or damage.
This issue is indeed a result of a rusty hall sensor on the rigth coupling fastener in the trunk. Typical indication is a small rusty/lightred line on the HS housing:
20200531_sm2.jpg
20200531_sm2.jpg (42.33 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
It is the rear hall sensor on the hydraulic ram. A picture of this unit in it's original mounted position can be found on the "E89: Retractable Hardtop (roof) Maintenance" thread. It is HS-1 with the red wire.
viewtopic.php?p=1861524&hilit=ram#p1861524

First and most important step: put the boot lid into it's maintenance position, watch the linked video. Only this way you are able to get into the trunk while working on any roof components:
viewtopic.php?p=1830459#p1830459

Getting the roof parts into the correct working position might be a challenge, as the boot doesn't open as intended. The boot lid frame has to be pushed into a vertical position, after it got unlocked hydraulically (that's important!) and got stopped before the "crash" happens. Then you have to open the rear brass valve on top of the hydraulic pump for a max. of 1.5 turns (not more, as it's locked mechanically), push the frame up (with a 2nd person!) and support it with i.e. an adjustable broom stick.

Take some photos of the original position of the zip tie on the middle of the right hydraulic ram, the black plug and the black hydraulic line below it!

You have to cut the zip tie on the middle of the right hydraulic ram. Take a tiny screwdriver, put it horizontally and very carefully between the ram housing on top and the black HS housing of the rear (hardly to see!) hall sensor, which is placed headover into the ram.

Can be replaced by a cheap HS from an E88.
viewtopic.php?p=1899461#p1899461

New pins have to be crimped onto both wires or you have to solder the old plug on the new hall sensor. Kepp care on the colour orientation: colour to colour, brown to brown. 8) And keep care on the 4 pins of the new hall sensor to be placed correctly into the ram.

And don't forget to place a new zip tie over the black 2-pole plug as well as the hydraulic line, like you've documented before with a bunch of pictures!!!!

As last step, close the brass valve on the pump carefully by turning it back the 1.5 turns and fasten it with less manual force.

And don't forget or just replace the front hall sensor as well, as in most cases both HS intend to get rusty over years.

Good luck.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm

Great response, thank you Robbie.

Just for clarity, as there are 4 hall sensors, the two to be changed are the two behind the ram on the right, inside the rear wing of the car right?

Thanks again, as I mentioned in my initial post, a legend of the forum :thumbsup:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm Just for clarity, as there are 4 hall sensors, ...
#3 is in the roof shell, #4 is for the luggage compartement on the bottom of the boot floor
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm ...the two to be changed are the two BELOW the ram on the right, inside the rear wing of the car right?
Correct. But if possible, take a sharp photo of each HS front side like I did and post it here. I will get updated immediately, if you add another post.
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm ...are the two below the ram on the right, ...
Responsible for your fault is only the rear hall sensor. The front hall sensor on the same ram is responsible for the short delay while closing the trunk lid.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:00 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:04 am Getting the roof parts into the correct working position might be a challenge, as the boot doesn't open as intended. The boot lid frame has to be pushed into a vertical position, after it got unlocked hydraulically (that's important!) and got stopped before the "crash" happens.
Thinking about this task again, I'm not sure if you will be able to get it solved as written above. It might be much more complex to drive the roof in this irregular situation. Always stop before a crash happens and come back to me.

To get the black pins of the internal trims removed the following tool (nail iron) is recommended instead of fighting with a screwdriver or a small pair of pliers!
20211014_181604_V.jpg
20211014_181604_V.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:34 am

Thanks Robbie, I was wondering how I was going to get the roof into the ”maintenance position” with its current limitations.

I have ordered the suggested tool, it will arrive tomorrow, I will then endeavour to get some photos of the current condition of the hall sensors :thumbsup:

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat May 07, 2022 6:47 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 pm
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm Just for clarity, as there are 4 hall sensors, ...
#3 is in the roof shell, #4 is for the luggage compartement on the bottom of the boot floor
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm ...the two to be changed are the two BELOW the ram on the right, inside the rear wing of the car right?
Correct. But if possible, take a sharp photo of each HS front side like I did and post it here. I will get updated immediately, if you add another post.
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:40 pm ...are the two below the ram on the right, ...
Responsible for your fault is only the rear hall sensor. The front hall sensor on the same ram is responsible for the short delay while closing the trunk lid.
Hi Robbie,

Just to let you know I haven’t disappeared after your valued response. Unfortunately I picked up a trapped nerve in my back (or something similar) immediately after your posts and have been physically unable to bend and twist into the boot of the car for over a week now.

I have my trim tool ready though :roll: Hopefully it will ease in the next few days (or after physio next week). Meantime a quick question, is it ok to remove the sensors to photograph them as you suggested just with the boot open i.e. with the roof itself not in the “maintenance position”?

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm

OMG, hope your health will come back soon.

No, this is the wrong way!

At first open the BOOT LID, press the 2 flippers to get the 2 motors of the locking system started. If so, then the maintenan mode is activate. If not, have a look at germinator's video.

Then try to open the roof as far as no damage happens. The rear hall sensor is fixed by a zip tie, that is tricky to cut away. It has to be removed sorrowly to be able to take a photo.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat May 21, 2022 12:28 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 pm OMG, hope your health will come back soon.

No, this is the wrong way!

At first open the BOOT LID, press the 2 flippers to get the 2 motors of the locking system started. If so, then the maintenan mode is activate. If not, have a look at germinator's video.

Then try to open the roof as far as no damage happens. The rear hall sensor is fixed by a zip tie, that is tricky to cut away. It has to be removed sorrowly to be able to take a photo.
So today with the help of a knowledgeable engineer friend, I was finally able to work through your instructions and access the hall sensors.

The bottom line appears to be the rear HS has had it, it is clearly corroded on the end (similar to the one in your pictures) while the casing shows clear signs of cracking in more than one place. The front HS appears in good condition at present, but naturally I am going to order two and replace them both. Hopefully this will cure the current issue :thumbsup:

I will post a couple of pictures of the HS shortly, they are showing as too large to attach at present.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat May 21, 2022 12:34 pm

Here are the photos of the clearly knackered Hall Sensor.
C9418E5F-427E-4CF3-A1D5-CD293EBF50AF.png
C9418E5F-427E-4CF3-A1D5-CD293EBF50AF.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 932 times
F7EE92D2-1E57-4185-8FB9-D3E28DDEFC78.png
F7EE92D2-1E57-4185-8FB9-D3E28DDEFC78.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 932 times

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat May 21, 2022 7:09 pm

Rust or crack first.

Some years ago bought some identical Hall sensors from Jap or French car, used same part, 2 for 15 quid scrap yard. Came with small cylinder.
On close inspection both were cracked but worked, not used on car though, not needed.
No rust.
Seems like the plastic shrinks and cracks.
Then rust takes hold and splits it further.

But why did yours get wet?

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat May 21, 2022 7:56 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:09 pm Rust or crack first.

Some years ago bought some identical Hall sensors from Jap or French car, used same part, 2 for 15 quid scrap yard. Came with small cylinder.
On close inspection both were cracked but worked, not used on car though, not needed.
No rust.
Seems like the plastic shrinks and cracks.
Then rust takes hold and splits it further.

But why did yours get wet?
Good question. There is no sign of any water ingress in the boot area anywhere, it is certainly bone dry in the area of those hall sensors. It seems the sensors can simply degrade over time, they are now 12-13 years old in my particular car. Possibly they just absorb enough moisture from the atmosphere due to the lovely damp British weather. I would mind betting my ol’ buddy Silverstar won’t get similar problems in sunny Spain!