Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:13 pm

Haven’t opened or closed my roof for a few months now. When last used, all was ok though.

When I last used the car I used the boot so had the luggage shelf retracted. No errors on that drive.

Today when I used the car there was a warning in the dashboard - red roof open symbol. Seemed to flash up a few times, I think when I went over bumps

Once parked up, I closed the luggage shelf and tried the roof. Went down ok but seemed to struggle a bit to go back up - it did in the end and all looks to be closed correctly. After this though there was a flashing red light by the roof down switch.

Turned the car off and back on and the flashing red light stopped but still got the odd red roof warning light in the dashboard

Any thoughts/ideas on what this may be?

Thanks all

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:17 pm

You will get a dozen replies.
First go buy a obd reader, one that plugs in, like Foxwell. Will pay for itself.
Plug in see what it says. If hall or switch fault, probably a broken wire.
All the circuits are monitored for a break.
Sometimes doesn't show unless roof moves or drive over a bump.

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:44 pm

Thanks.

Sounds like something that will need a garage trip then given my lack of ability :). Was hoping it may have been something I’d done that could be sorted.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Nictrix » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:27 pm

It sounds exactly like what ours started doing a few weeks ago.
After reading lots of posts on here I decided it must be the microswitches.
Swapped both microswitches for new ones and the problem has gone.
Microswitches are around £16 each and you will more than likely need 4 new screws to hold them in.
If you search the forum you will find some more info on how to change them.
Minimal tools required, trim removal tools, socket set and a drill, but will take a few hours as most of the boot interior needs to be removed.
Follow instructions carefully, especially the part about marking where the 3 nuts are on each side.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

RobbiZ4

Roof problem

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:42 pm

@cuprat
Did you follow the following maintenance list? In your case it's #3. No OBD reader required or helpful.
viewtopic.php?t=130932

@Nictrix
Perfect, I couldn't describe it better.

@all
The red led is not a fault indicator! It only informs, that the roof is neither opened nor closed based on the sensor information.
RED IS NOT FAULT.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 pm

Thanks both - that’s really helpful. I will have a look in more detail tomorrow when I have access to my car in the daylight

Random question - to open my drivers door from the inside when locked I now need to unlock it from the centre console switch. I used to just be able to pull the door handle (which is how the passenger door works). This wouldn’t be connected to the roof fault would it?

The door problem started post a fix BMW did on an alarm door sensor

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Smartbear » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:39 pm

Cuprat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 pm Thanks both - that’s really helpful. I will have a look in more detail tomorrow when I have access to my car in the daylight

Random question - to open my drivers door from the inside when locked I now need to unlock it from the centre console switch. I used to just be able to pull the door handle (which is how the passenger door works). This wouldn’t be connected to the roof fault would it?

Did you return the car to them after you discovered the issue?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by flybobbie » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:02 am

Perhaps the plug in the door not fully connected if that has been fiddled with.
Perhaps the roof doesn't know status of windows and won't allow to operate.

I had problem with plug, windows came down and wouldn't go up. Roof wouldn't move.
In my case i noticed the illumination of buttons was out (bad earth contact on pin?).
I had to remove door card and disconnect plug. Clean with contact cleaner, re=assemble making sure all pins were home, then i think i cable tied it.
No problem since.

Silverstar

Roof problem

Post by Silverstar » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:40 am

Cuprat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 pm Random question - to open my drivers door from the inside when locked I now need to unlock it from the centre console switch. I used to just be able to pull the door handle (which is how the passenger door works). This wouldn’t be connected to the roof fault would it?

If I am not mistaken to open from inside when locked you have to double pull the door handle.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:15 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:40 am
Cuprat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 pm Random question - to open my drivers door from the inside when locked I now need to unlock it from the centre console switch. I used to just be able to pull the door handle (which is how the passenger door works). This wouldn’t be connected to the roof fault would it?

If I am not mistaken to open from inside when locked you have to double pull the door handle.
Thanks all

Yes I thought that - a double pull just results in the door staying locked. The little thing that rises when the door is open/closed (what is that called?) rises when the door handle is pulled but falls to the locked position when the handle is released. If I use the lock/unlock button on the centre console it stays up and I can get out off the car.

I have no issues with unlocking from outside the car using the key

In answer to the question above. I haven’t been back to BMW post the fix of the alarm sensor. Just discovered this new ‘feature’ :)

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:16 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:40 am

Thanks all

Yes I thought that - a double pull just results in the door staying locked. The little thing that rises when the door is open/closed (what is that called?) rises when the door handle is pulled but falls to the locked position when the handle is released. If I use the lock/unlock button on the centre console it stays up and I can get out off the car.

I have no issues with unlocking from outside the car using the key

In answer to the question above. I haven’t been back to BMW post the fix of the alarm sensor. Just discovered this new ‘feature’ :)

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:00 am

Went to use the car today and got a constant bong bong bong and warning that the roof was not latched. This wasn’t the message last time I used the car . Only difference this time was I’d been in the boot.

I’m booked into BMW next Tuesday to get this looked at (car has the BMW warranty) but typical that it’s happened when the weather has picked up :)

RobbiZ4

Roof problem

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:09 am

Cuprat wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:00 am ...but typical that it’s happened when the weather has picked up :)
That is #3, no doubt. No expensive diagnostics is required, just get the 2 boobies replaced. 8)
viewtopic.php?t=130932
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks RobbiZ4 appreciate the expert advice :)

Cuprat

Roof problem

Post by Cuprat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:58 am

I’ll keep this updated so others can see the faults I’ve had a and (hopefully) what fixes it!

Car is currently in the garage - fault was a constant bong and warning message “roof not latched”. Roof was operating.

Of course when I got to the garage to show them it had gone :). Putting the top down and up did show a different message to what I’d had before “roof operation impacted” (I think).

Nicest week of the year coming up so no doubt they won’t have the parts to fix it today