Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam

Discussing the current generation Z4
N4LLY

Dash cam

Post by N4LLY » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:15 am

Is it worth a rear facing camara ? would be fitted in E89 with permanent mesh wind deflector fitted.
Do the camaras manage to see through ? :?

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

ori

Dash cam

Post by ori » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:27 pm

I wish I could have installed a rear facing camera, but it just didn’t look right in my opinion.

nickpicks

Dash cam

Post by nickpicks » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:20 pm

I've fitted my dashcam (blackvue) by connecting the power supply into the fuses in the driver's footwell. The problem is that I think I may have used 2 constant live connections, so it's only switching into "parking mode" when the Gsensor stops sensing movement. I've got an OBD wiring connector for it, but I'd prefer to hardwire if possible (just to avoid the need for the garage to unplug when doing any diagnostics)

Is there any list of which blank fuseways are constant live / switched on ignition? I've put a voltmeter on them, but with "keyless", it's difficult for me to tell which bits of the car should be switched on at what time.

"Old fashioned" cars were simpler to tell what position the key was in - This one wakes up some systems just by walking close to the car! :D

Sladester100

Dash cam

Post by Sladester100 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:38 pm

I’ve still got mine plugged into the usb in the centre console. Mostly because I’m lazy and also because it actually does the job.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=125020
F30 320d ED Melbourne Metallic, Vis Pack, Dakota Leather, & Other Goodies :thumsup:
G29 M40i First Edition Frozen Orange :cool:

nickpicks

Dash cam

Post by nickpicks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:58 pm

I did a bit more experimenting, by connecting a test lamp to a cable and plugging it in to various fuseways to see whether they are constant live. What I found is:
Fuse F25 is constant live (I think 22-26 are all constant, but I used 25)
Fuse F56 is switched on with ignition (well, when car is unlocked), but stays live for 6 minutes after the car is locked again.
(I think all the fuses around 467-57 are the same)

I also changed the camera settings to shut down if the vehicle battery drops to 12.5v, which has stopped the "battery drain" warnings when getting in the car.