Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash cam

Discussing the current generation Z4
pvr
Legend
Legend

Dash cam

Post by pvr » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:54 pm

The hardwire kit was not cheap by itself when I last bought one. Vital though unless you are happy for the car battery to go flat :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

rayz4

Dash cam

Post by rayz4 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 pm

Some pics from yesterday’s dash cam install. Cost all inclusive, nothing else to pay. Turns off when ignition off. There is a kit available to trigger recording if the car disturbed while away from the car but I didn’t take that option. Battery won’t go flat while laid up for longer periods, I use battery conditioner. Wiring went along the header rail and down offside a pillar to the fuse board. All very neat and tidy. Very happy to pay the money for the install, I’m retired now old, lazy and quite well off.
Attachments
0F644A0E-3865-442D-BEB2-264C26D8B16A.jpeg
0F644A0E-3865-442D-BEB2-264C26D8B16A.jpeg (68.18 KiB) Viewed 957 times
63625940-F41D-4424-8309-C47DBD38BC7C.jpeg
63625940-F41D-4424-8309-C47DBD38BC7C.jpeg (128.46 KiB) Viewed 957 times
White e89 30i sdrive, Melbourne red e89 35is, 2021g29 sdrive 30i misano blue.

rayz4

Dash cam

Post by rayz4 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:58 pm

As you can see there is no screen on the dash cam to view video clips, you need to download the app “Garmin drive” from the App Store.

ori

Dash cam

Post by ori » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:22 am

That looks very neat. Small!

I’ve been looking at ones with parking mode as that’s when my last car got hit. Worried about battery drain. I saw some that the cable connects to the obd port and has a nice Timelapse feature when in park mode.
Looks like you can spend quite a bit of money on these things.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Dash cam

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:10 pm

rayz4 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 pm Some pics from yesterday’s dash cam install. Cost all inclusive, nothing else to pay. Turns off when ignition off. There is a kit available to trigger recording if the car disturbed while away from the car but I didn’t take that option. Battery won’t go flat while laid up for longer periods, I use battery conditioner. Wiring went along the header rail and down offside a pillar to the fuse board. All very neat and tidy. Very happy to pay the money for the install, I’m retired now old, lazy and quite well off.
Out of interest could you mount that version so its pointing rearward ie to act as a rear facing camera?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

rayz4

Dash cam

Post by rayz4 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 pm

Hi B21, yes you could mount the cam anywhere you like.

rayz4

Dash cam

Post by rayz4 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:12 pm

Hi ORI, I once left my 35is for three weeks at Heathrow airport while on holiday with no battery drain problems.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Dash cam

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 pm

rayz4 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 pm Hi B21, yes you could mount the cam anywhere you like.
Thnx, just to be clear..so you could have two baby garmins both mounted on the windscreen one facing forwards and the second facing backwards..whilst being affixed to the windscreen?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:10 pm
rayz4 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:54 pm Some pics from yesterday’s dash cam install. Cost all inclusive, nothing else to pay. Turns off when ignition off. There is a kit available to trigger recording if the car disturbed while away from the car but I didn’t take that option. Battery won’t go flat while laid up for longer periods, I use battery conditioner. Wiring went along the header rail and down offside a pillar to the fuse board. All very neat and tidy. Very happy to pay the money for the install, I’m retired now old, lazy and quite well off.
Out of interest could you mount that version so its pointing rearward ie to act as a rear facing camera?
Peter, do you think that existing mount could be adapted/made to fit in/on the roll hoop since it’s so small?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Dash cam

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:10 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm
    B21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:10 pm
    Peter, do you think that existing mount could be adapted/made to fit in/on the roll hoop since it’s so small?
    Hi, I’m not sure hence my questions..the mini garmin is very compact..I hate those big things hanging down with a distracting screen…

I can’t work out whether the forward facing camera mount can simple swivel backwards..

Awaiting Ray comments …but given that the two cameras could be networked looks a cute idea..

The issue with a rear facing camera mounted on the hoop is that most are not water resistant so it’s an issue for us hard core top down motoring chaps.. :driving: :driving: :rofl: :rofl:

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:17 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:10 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm
    B21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:10 pm Out of interest could you mount that version so its pointing rearward ie to act as a rear facing camera?
    Hi, I’m not sure hence my questions..the mini garmin is very compact..I hate those big things hanging down with a distracting screen…

I can’t work out whether the forward facing camera mount can simple swivel backwards..

Awaiting Ray comments …but given that the two cameras could be networked looks a cute idea..

The issue with a rear facing camera mounted on the hoop is that most are not water resistant so it’s an issue for us hard core top down motoring chaps.. :driving: :driving: :rofl: :rofl:
    I know the rear facing element of this covers rear passengers etc but I’m wondering if due to the small cabin size in the Z4 if the rear facing one would “catch” the images through the rear window when the top is up or is clear enough for the same when the roof is down.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... 66398.html

Yes the waterproofness may be an issue for us up here. Suppose we’d just need to maintain enough speed to ensure the water blows over the car :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Dash cam

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:56 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:17 pm
      B21 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:10 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:02 pm Peter, do you think that existing mount could be adapted/made to fit in/on the roll hoop since it’s so small?

I know the rear facing element of this covers rear passengers etc but I’m wondering if due to the small cabin size in the Z4 if the rear facing one would “catch” the images through the rear window when the top is up or is clear enough for the same when the roof is down.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... 66398.html

Yes the waterproofness may be an issue for us up here. Suppose we’d just need to maintain enough speed to ensure the water blows over the car :lol:
      Suck it and see?

I don't think there's a perfect solution...from the rear I'm more interested in capturing the rear enders that then push you into someone in front..hopefuly there would be enough resolution plus sound effects to determine such events?

ori

Dash cam

Post by ori » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:39 pm

rayz4 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:12 pm Hi ORI, I once left my 35is for three weeks at Heathrow airport while on holiday with no battery drain problems.
      Was this on a Timelapse method? Must need a big memory card for 3 weeks?

ori

Dash cam

Post by ori » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:47 pm

I’m close to pushing the button on a thinkware f800 pro. RAC do it with the hardwire into obd port for install of £79. Will see if I can get it cheaper.

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Dash cam

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:27 pm

ori wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:47 pm I’m close to pushing the button on a thinkware f800 pro. RAC do it with the hardwire into obd port for install of £79. Will see if I can get it cheaper.
      ori, any particular reason for that one? Also what’s the advantage of the OBD install and does that have the battery protector built in?