Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hesitant power take-up

Strasse109

Hesitant power take-up

Post by Strasse109 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am

Hi folks, seeking some views on an annoyance to my driving pleasure.

Decided to take my 2014 35is out of hibernation early as we have had a few chilly but nice days.

The car starts at first touch of button from cold and idles smooth but fast as can be expected. However, when I first pull away there is a slight hesitancy in power take-up in first and second gear (DCT)as if the engine is missing. When I stop at a junction and start to pull away get that same hesitancy and missing. Its as if in first or second, it’s not getting the gear straight away.

There are no EML or other lights and have scanned with ‘Autel’ and “Launch’ but no code are shown. I’m at a loss the engine is awesome once moving and delivers smooth linear power.

The only issue which makes me still look at the engine is that once used and nice and warm if I stop the car and come back after 20 minutes it takes a lot of cranking before it eventually splutters and fires, thereafter it smooth as silk. I’m running index 12 injectors and replaced the plugs 5000 miles ago, car has done 32K.

Anyone got any pointers or should I be looking towards the gearbox.
G29 M40i

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Hesitant power take-up

Post by B21 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:28 pm

Sounds like a failing index 12 injector…they are still known to fail..could be HPFP but no codes and age of car mitigate against that diagnosis :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Strasse109

Hesitant power take-up

Post by Strasse109 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:21 am

Thanks for your thoughts, will bite the bullet and get it booked in at the dealer. Just looked at my BMW warranty and pretty sure it covers most things so will take a chance.
G29 M40i

mcbutler

Hesitant power take-up

Post by mcbutler » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:17 am

You need to run some live data - do you have MHD?
Data from low and HP fuel pumps and fuel trims etc whilst the problem is occuring.
I woudnt be thinking HPFP as the cars not under any real load.
You need hard data bud.

If you do have a duff index 12 it will have a two year warranty if bought from BMW.
If its leaking after engine shut off the fuel maybe running down the bore into the sump causing oil dillution eventually!!!! :cry:
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Hesitant power take-up

Post by mcbutler » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:39 pm

Strasse109 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 am Hi folks, seeking some views on an annoyance to my driving pleasure.

Decided to take my 2014 35is out of hibernation early as we have had a few chilly but nice days.

The car starts at first touch of button from cold and idles smooth but fast as can be expected. However, when I first pull away there is a slight hesitancy in power take-up in first and second gear (DCT)as if the engine is missing. When I stop at a junction and start to pull away get that same hesitancy and missing. Its as if in first or second, it’s not getting the gear straight away.

There are no EML or other lights and have scanned with ‘Autel’ and “Launch’ but no code are shown. I’m at a loss the engine is awesome once moving and delivers smooth linear power.

The only issue which makes me still look at the engine is that once used and nice and warm if I stop the car and come back after 20 minutes it takes a lot of cranking before it eventually splutters and fires, thereafter it smooth as silk. I’m running index 12 injectors and replaced the plugs 5000 miles ago, car has done 32K.

Anyone got any pointers or should I be looking towards the gearbox.
Did you solve this issue??
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Strasse109

Hesitant power take-up

Post by Strasse109 » Thu May 05, 2022 7:06 am

The car went in to BMW for service a few weeks ago and I flagged the issue to them. They had the car for two days and as I was expecting no fault found. I spoke to the service agent part way through and everything we thought it was had been checked and no fault. At least they found the misting adaptive shock absorber and changed that under warranty. The downside or upside whichever way you look at it is they loaned me a new G29 M40i, well that did it. No longer have any issues with the E89 as I swapped it for a M40i, expensive way to solve a problem but hey, life's too short.
G29 M40i

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Hesitant power take-up

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am

Strasse109 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:06 am The car went in to BMW for service a few weeks ago and I flagged the issue to them. They had the car for two days and as I was expecting no fault found. I spoke to the service agent part way through and everything we thought it was had been checked and no fault. At least they found the misting adaptive shock absorber and changed that under warranty. The downside or upside whichever way you look at it is they loaned me a new G29 M40i, well that did it. No longer have any issues with the E89 as I swapped it for a M40i, expensive way to solve a problem but hey, life's too short.
Definitely an upside, you’ll love the M40i I’m sure :wub: you’re absolutely correct, life’s too short, enjoy :thumbsup:

What colour and spec did you get? A picture would be nice too

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)