Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Joe Achilles picks up a Z4 M40i

Discussing the current generation Z4
MrLatte

Post by MrLatte » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:52 pm

sars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:03 pm The one thing I do respect Porsche for, is that you can have a manual.
This is true, but the problem is they are too highly geared, probably doing 70-75 mph at the top of 2nd gear which is too much for a British b-road in my opinion.
G29 M40i Black Sapphire shadowline

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:16 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:45 pm wondering if the LCI upgrade on the Zed will throw in a non frozen grey. Would look epic in mineral
That’s the main colour we’re hoping will be added. If so our order won’t be long going in :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ori

Post by ori » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:21 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:45 pm
    sars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:03 pm The one thing I love about BMW is is that the option list is not exhaustive, yes I would have liked more colours, but the options do seem reasonable. The one thing I hate about Porsche, is their options list and how expensive those options are, some of which should be standard. I looked at getting a Boxster S and to get it to the specification of mine, I was looking at over £70k, paying a £1k a month and for what, a great drive but dated interior, whose quality is certainly not superior to BMW's. Yes I'd like one, just to own one and by and large I imagine many buyers fall into this category and view their purchase through rose tinted glasses.

The one thing I do respect Porsche for, is that you can have a manual.
    I think Porsche ask such money because they can Sars, they get the trade as the car itself is so good. I'm wondering if the LCI upgrade on the Zed will throw in a non frozen grey. Would look epic in mineral.
    They actually charge far more for options in the U.K. they offer packs in other countries. They refer to us as “treasure island” as they make a huge profit from us.

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:33 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:16 pm
    john-e89 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:45 pm wondering if the LCI upgrade on the Zed will throw in a non frozen grey. Would look epic in mineral
    That’s the main colour we’re hoping will be added. If so our order won’t be long going in :thumbsup:
    Have to say Andy if they do I'd give another one a very serious thought. Had my mind set on a GTS and still have,,but with the options I'd want it's an £83k or £89k car if they bring carbon brakes back. Compared to what will prob be £56-58k for a loaded Zed before discount and haggling that's a fair chunk less if I can go with auto again.
    M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
    E89 35is
    G29

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:45 pm

My view of G29 is not going to have a full M version is that if a person is serious about the absolute performance, then that person is less likely to go for a convertable. If I remember correctly, 1st gen Z4M is coupe only. Due to the collaboration between BMW and Toyota, G29 will never be a coupe so people who buys G29 is not too serious about the absolute performance. If a person just wants an output figure, the M4C convertible is available for them. Therefore, I don't think the market for a G29 Z4M roadster can justify the cost of development. Then, as a convertible, the performance of G29 M40i is far more than enough for the on road fun and occasional track day fun.

About G29 vs 718, before I decided to go for G29, I had multiple test-drive sections with my local dealer (from base 718, S, to GTS, to GTS 4.0). Personally, I don't want the flat 4 version. That means only option is GTS 4.0, which also means the price is around £70k. At this price, the interior can not compete with G29 at all in my opinion. Then, if I open the magical Porsche customisation list, I was looking at £75-80k or more. This made me think why not go for M4C or the base 911. At this point, I decided that the G29 is perfectly priced for what I need and placed the order next day.

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:48 pm

q96169we wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:45 pm My view of G29 is not going to have a full M version is that if a person is serious about the absolute performance, then that person is less likely to go for a convertable. If I remember correctly, 1st gen Z4M is coupe only. Due to the collaboration between BMW and Toyota, G29 will never be a coupe so people who buys G29 is not too serious about the absolute performance. If a person just wants an output figure, the M4C convertible is available for them. Therefore, I don't think the market for a G29 Z4M roadster can justify the cost of development. Then, as a convertible, the performance of G29 M40i is far more than enough for the on road fun and occasional track day fun.

About G29 vs 718, before I decided to go for G29, I had multiple test-driven sections with my local dealer (from base 718, S, to GTS, to GTS 4.0). Personally, I don't want the flat 4 version. That means only option is GTS 4.0, which also means the price is around £70k. At this price, the interior can not compete with G29 at all in my opinion. Then, if I open the magical Porsche customisation list, I was looking at £75-80k or more. This made me thinking why not go for M4C or the base 911. At this point, I decided that the G29 is perfectly priced for what I need and placed the order next day.
    Absolutely....makes no sense for Bmw to make an M version with the M40i at the level it is. :driving:
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
    E89 35is
    G29

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:14 pm

The M cars are there to inspire people to buy a lower spec version of that car. E.g. people lust after an M4, which they can't afford, so they get a 430i or whatever. That's why you now get X_M cars, because BMW needs to drive sales of it's run of the mill X's. The sales of a Z4M would not be enough in itself to justify the product. So, would the existence of a Z4M inspire people to buy a Z4 20i? If very few people are buying roadsters full stop, then no, probably not.

BMW don't care if a few Boxster owners would convert to a Z4M, because that's not the point of an M car.

BMW sold 75,000 X3's in America last year, Porsche sold a few thousand Boxsters. BMW isn't going to waste any time trying to steal even 50% of those roadster sales from Porsche.
    Last edited by tiglon on Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Russ Z4

Post by Russ Z4 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:21 pm

sars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:03 pm The one thing I love about BMW is is that the option list is not exhaustive, yes I would have liked more colours, but the options do seem reasonable. The one thing I hate about Porsche, is their options list and how expensive those options are, some of which should be standard. I looked at getting a Boxster S and to get it to the specification of mine, I was looking at over £70k, paying a £1k a month and for what, a great drive but dated interior, whose quality is certainly not superior to BMW's. Yes I'd like one, just to own one and by and large I imagine many buyers fall into this category and view their purchase through rose tinted glasses.

The one thing I do respect Porsche for, is that you can have a manual.
    I did the exact same thing - but also had the Alpine A110 in the mix. I don't think the Z4 is the out right winner in any element (apart from the engine and infotainment) - but it certainly scores a higher average when you look at all the boxes.

Of course, the other thing to consider about Porsche above BMW are the residuals. They are super strong.

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by sars » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:23 pm

john-e89, I don’t doubt the car is good to drive, but for the average mortal, aka me, I’m not sure that I have the ability to explore the limits of my car let alone a Boxster and thus differentiate any real differences where it counts. I can go around a corner quickly and marvel at the grip and feel, however, if I’m honest I would probably have more fun in an MX5 that any other car I could think off, but I wouldn’t want to live with an MX5 24/7 and that’s where the zed beats the MX5 and the Boxster too.

The original Boxster was a great car and good value to boot, it’s still a great car but it’s value is bloated by successful marketing.
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

john-e89
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 pm

sars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:23 pm john-e89, I don’t doubt the car is good to drive, but for the average mortal, aka me, I’m not sure that I have the ability to explore the limits of my car let alone a Boxster and thus differentiate any real differences where it counts. I can go around a corner quickly and marvel at the grip and feel, however, if I’m honest I would probably have more fun in an MX5 that any other car I could think off, but I wouldn’t want to live with an MX5 24/7 and that’s where the zed beats the MX5 and the Boxster too.

The original Boxster was a great car and good value to boot, it’s still a great car but it’s value is bloated by successful marketing.
    Let's be honest no one can explore the limits of these cars on UK roads. More bhp is willy waving really but it's fun to mod a car. Having said that the difference between a boxy and a Zed is very noticeable even when not pushing them, and if you do press on then that difference becomes greater which emphasises just how good these piggy's are as imho the G29 Zed is a superb handling and rapid car as is, which makes an M version pointless, bit more noise, probably too stiff springs, not worth wasting R&D money on, but you know this right... :lol: It's this difference and how you like a car to feel that makes folk spend so much on a Porker, they're really the cream of the crop, in handling and feel terms anyway. You really really have to want one to spend so much obvs. If not then the Zed wins hands down.
    MR2 MK 2
    E89 35is
    G29

MrLatte

Post by MrLatte » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:20 pm

Russ Z4 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:30 pm Additionally, depending upon your whether you’ve bought the Z4 outright or have it on a PCP, if the latter, acs modifications would put you in breach of your contract.
    BMW finance require that you notify them in advance of any modification, they will decide if you plans are likely to devalue their asset.

MrLatte

Post by MrLatte » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:58 am

Another tuned M40 video here.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/C-dI41JNgCg[/youtube]

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:11 pm

Just to be controversial:
    If only Alpina would make a G29? That would be something. I don't know why they don't. They used to make models that BMW didn't offer, so a "ZB Roadster" could be a seller. The current B58 engine in the B3 rolls off the ship with 462ps (I think) and is by all accounts one hell of a car. Pricey, mind!
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:11 pm Just to be controversial:
    If only Alpina would make a G29? That would be something. I don't know why they don't. They used to make models that BMW didn't offer, so a "ZB Roadster" could be a seller. The current B58 engine in the B3 rolls off the ship with 462ps (I think) and is by all accounts one hell of a car. Pricey, mind!
    Alpina’s strategy has seemed to be ‘soft and powerful’ as opposed to ‘hard core and powerful’ so it wouldn’t float those red meat lovers boats seeking the M holy grail..
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

MrLatte

Post by MrLatte » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:45 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:21 pm
    Pondrew wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:11 pm Just to be controversial:
    Alpina’s strategy has seemed to be ‘soft and powerful’ as opposed to ‘hard core and powerful’ so it wouldn’t float those red meat lovers boats seeking the M holy grail..
    I agree and I am a big fan of Aplina, even including the 2.0 D3. I worked with a guy who owned an Alpina Roadster and a Z4 M (amongst other cars) and both appealed for different reasons.

However I do feel that Alpina is more suited to the larger cars such as 5, 7 and 8 where as M suits the 2, 3, 4 and Z.