Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

23i - Boat feel / response - Comfort Mode or Boat Mode?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
engine killer

Post by engine killer » Thu May 19, 2022 2:26 am

mcbutler wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:29 am You could probably ask a tuner to reconfigure the throttle as well, most cars come with a throttle set so that small pedal inputs give bigger throttle demands - ie 20% pedal push gives 40% throttle demand which creates the illusion of more performance. A linear mapped throttle is (for me) a lot better as it gives the same throttle demand as pedal input.
"illusion" :lol:
same here on this side of the planet, people install throttle amplifier and satisfy with the "Performance". talked to a few of them and they implied they have never floored the throttle :|

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm

Returning to this, as i posted on the Fuel Consumption thread, i recovered & reflashed my original ECU and upgraded the firmware to a later version.
Even without a remap the car feels like a different beast now. No more waiting to move off at roundabouts in normal mode, it just takes off. And sport mode is even better. This is tons better even compared to when i bought the car late last year. It's like a mini rocket.
I don't even feel any need to move to a 30i or 35is etc.

Very happy with it now and it's more than enough for Irish roads.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun May 22, 2022 10:33 pm

wanderer wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm Returning to this, as i posted on the Fuel Consumption thread, i recovered & reflashed my original ECU and upgraded the firmware to a later version.
Even without a remap the car feels like a different beast now. No more waiting to move off at roundabouts in normal mode, it just takes off. And sport mode is even better. This is tons better even compared to when i bought the car late last year. It's like a mini rocket.
I don't even feel any need to move to a 30i or 35is etc.

Very happy with it now and it's more than enough for Irish roads.
Perhaps it's done a learn reset.
Just done this again on my 23i, using Foxwell reader.
Can reset learnt parameters, like an instant tune.

Pickster

Post by Pickster » Sat May 28, 2022 5:35 pm

Had my 23i mapped today at Yorkshire Remaps with a Quantum map. As said before not startling results and no rolling road but I can definitely tell the difference. Comfort mode the car feels more responsive. Sport mode everything tightens and the pick up in higher gears 4th , 5th ,6th is much better, all in all not blown away but happy with the result.
although only drove it back from the garage so not extensively tested. Got weekend trip to Wales coming up for the Jubilee so proper test to come. :driving:

newbie22

Post by newbie22 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:24 am

you mentioned it 'feeling like a boat', are you talking about the cornering? or about the shifting gears? the car learns how it was driven and adapts.
you can reset it to factory new settings via obdII or dealer software.

if it is about cornering, then i found that putting on 19" factory rims planted my car like it was on rails. stay clear of run flat tyres.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Sun May 29, 2022 1:34 pm

newbie22 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:24 am you mentioned it 'feeling like a boat', are you talking about the cornering? or about the shifting gears? the car learns how it was driven and adapts.
you can reset it to factory new settings via obdII or dealer software.

if it is about cornering, then i found that putting on 19" factory rims planted my car like it was on rails. stay clear of run flat tyres.
It was about shifting gears when taking off.
The car has 18" wheels with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5's so it sticks like glue.

The software reflash / reset seems to have made a difference.
The previous owner was an older gentleman (sadly passed on) who wouldn't have driven it like a roadster should be.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Sun May 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Pickster wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:35 pm Had my 23i mapped today at Yorkshire Remaps with a Quantum map. As said before not startling results and no rolling road but I can definitely tell the difference. Comfort mode the car feels more responsive. Sport mode everything tightens and the pick up in higher gears 4th , 5th ,6th is much better, all in all not blown away but happy with the result.
although only drove it back from the garage so not extensively tested. Got weekend trip to Wales coming up for the Jubilee so proper test to come.
I have a PureTuning map here waiting to be slapped on.
Having a problem with my Alientech Powergate unit at the moment. Waiting on support to resolve it and then will test and revert back.
Screenshot_20220529-133642_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220529-133642_Chrome.jpg (79.19 KiB) Viewed 147 times