Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ultramega's 35i mod & maintenance log

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Impressive. Bravo.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am Go on then I'll ask, what are you doing with the MMI box you've pulled out? :D
I suppose I should sell it really. You've got first refusal - make me an offer if you want it. Oh, I got a manual for it too - I can send that through to you for a look first if you want. May have a solution to the phone call audio issues I had.
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am Great job by the way, nicely done. Any screws left over after you've put it all back together? :rofl:
Only two. :dizzy:
IMG_1637.jpg
IMG_1637.jpg (199.78 KiB) Viewed 632 times
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am If you want to know anything give me a shout as I may be able to answer quicker (and in better English) then the sellers :lol:
I'm really looking for an explanation as to what all the advanced settings do. Wouldn't want to totally cock things up. But I think the menus I have are maybe different from yours?
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Other issue I have (but haven't properly looked into yet is connecting my phone to it via bluetooth. I paid for wired carplay (it uses the Zlink5 app), but whenever I try to connect to the android system through bluetooth the Zlink5 app opens up trying to do wireless carplay... but not managing. I don't want wireless carplay (don't ask why), so need a way round it. Like I say, not had a play about yet. They are most likely on Chinese NY downtime right now, so I haven't been in touch with them yet.
2010 35i DCT

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:00 pm

Looks really good - I've thought about doing the same, but I just know I'd end the day with a sh!t load of wires that I've got no idea what to do with and be contemplating a massive bill to get someone else to clean up my mess :rofl:
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:38 pm

ultramega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am Go on then I'll ask, what are you doing with the MMI box you've pulled out? :D
I suppose I should sell it really. You've got first refusal - make me an offer if you want it. Oh, I got a manual for it too - I can send that through to you for a look first if you want. May have a solution to the phone call audio issues I had.
I'll PM you.
As for the phone issue, I know the remedy for that, not to use that crappy microphone that's included and T-off the OE microphone with (what should have been) the supplied T loom, but it looks like whoever fitted it didn't realise this so didn't use it (or it was never supplied in the first place) and fitted that supplied microphone instead.
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am Great job by the way, nicely done. Any screws left over after you've put it all back together? :rofl:
Only two. :dizzy:
That's 3!! :wink:
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:59 am If you want to know anything give me a shout as I may be able to answer quicker (and in better English) then the sellers :lol:
I'm really looking for an explanation as to what all the advanced settings do. Wouldn't want to totally cock things up. But I think the menus I have are maybe different from yours?
Yeah mine was the original Android 8.1, looks like yours is running Android 10 (or maybe 11).
Not 100% sure, but I'd leave those as they are (*). "F_CAM" I'd say is for the front DVR camera.
ultramega wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:49 pm Other issue I have (but haven't properly looked into yet is connecting my phone to it via bluetooth. I paid for wired carplay (it uses the Zlink5 app), but whenever I try to connect to the android system through bluetooth the Zlink5 app opens up trying to do wireless carplay... but not managing. I don't want wireless carplay (don't ask why), so need a way round it. Like I say, not had a play about yet. They are most likely on Chinese NY downtime right now, so I haven't been in touch with them yet.
OK, so looking at your Settings screen above, (*)where it says "Zlink", un tick this and it'll dissable CarPlay, so you'll be able to use the on-board Bluetooth. Presumably the idea here is that if you're going to use CarPlay then you wouldn't need a separate Bluetooth connection as it would be included once CarPlay is up and running.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:25 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:38 pm That's 3!!
3ish...
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:38 pm OK, so looking at your Settings screen above, (*)where it says "Zlink", un tick this and it'll dissable CarPlay, so you'll be able to use the on-board Bluetooth. Presumably the idea here is that if you're going to use CarPlay then you wouldn't need a separate Bluetooth connection as it would be included once CarPlay is up and running.
Tried that, made no difference, Carplay still worked too. Next step is to have my phone forget it has ever been connected for carplay, then connect by Bluetooth, then try carplay.
2010 35i DCT

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:45 pm

Next installment!
IMG_1636.jpg
IMG_1636.jpg (233.42 KiB) Viewed 585 times
This lot turned up from Allwoods Audio today.
  • Match UP 7DSP/AMP
  • Bluetooth module
  • BMW harness to ISO
  • ISO to amp extension
  • Power kit
  • Custom woofer wiring kit
  • Remote control
I had a very good chat with Horst yesterday and was really impressed, especially as he was familiar with the non-standard speaker setup particular to the Z4.

He gave me some good advice and a discount off list price (because I wasn't paying through ebay). That yellow and red pile of spaghetti was made by him, specifically to allow me to separate out the footwell woofers and power them through the amp - wiring enough to go from the amp in the boot back to each footwell. All included in the price, as was the amp power kit with fuses. On top of that, he sent me some of their own custom DSP setup files which should hopefully be a good starting point for me.

Initial plan is to keep the stock speakers - I expect the DSP/AMP alone to be a great improvement. Pretty sure some of them will get swapped out eventually though, but my wallet needs a while to recover. Again, Horst at Allwoods made some good speaker recommendations, including knowing that the Z4 needs slimmer ones.

No idea how I'm going to fit an extra conversion harness (the BMW to ISO) behind the headunit - it was hard enough getting the android screen piggyback in there. Might have to remove the glovebox again and see if I can feed some of them on top of that - there was plenty space up there.
2010 35i DCT

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm

ultramega wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:29 pm Car came back from the garage. Has a new OSF ball joint which has cured the clunk experienced over bumps. Also has new rear discs & pads, which don't feel any different but look way better.
So you can do all the wiring/tech/cup holder stuff but not change a set of pads and discs?
I think I am getting old....... :(
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:00 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm So you can do all the wiring/tech/cup holder stuff but not change a set of pads and dsics?
I think I am getting old....... :(
Everyone to their own level, surely?!
Dave

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:06 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:00 pm Everyone to their own level, surely?!
Play Station generation..............

When 'modding' a car means putting android whatever and Starbucks holders in, it shows I'm old and out of touch.

Next thing will be sending your car to PC world for upgrades.... :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:25 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:38 pm So you can do all the wiring/tech/cup holder stuff but not change a set of pads and discs?
Oh, absolutely could have done that myself, have on many previous cars. But it was in the garage anyway and they can do it much quicker than me. The time I have to do things is limited, so I pick what will be most fun/rewarding for me, which generally means things I haven’t done before. Always found discs a chore.
If the turbos ends up needing replaced I do fancy that for myself, but we’ll see…

And there’ll be no Starbucks in my car. Their coffee is :thumbsdown:
2010 35i DCT

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:40 am

I've spoken to many members from here, zpost and the Facebook groups while doing their cruise control retrofits (approaching 300 now!) and they all have differing levels of what they either want to do or are able to do. Some are mechanical types that will happily take an engine apart but are sh :!: :!: scarred at the thought of the electrics, some will be at home with both sides and some are just happy to drive it. I've had customers from mid 20's to well into their 60's. We are all different, but one thing is always the same, we love our Zeds :driving:

Oh and no food or drink is consumed in my car, I'm not risking anything there :D
Dave

ultramega

Post by ultramega » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:33 pm

Also coming soon:
IMG_1674.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg (187.82 KiB) Viewed 490 times
It seemed silly spending a load of money on DSP/amp but leaving the crappy stock speakers in place. Plan had been to replace the speakers later down the line (I knew it was an inevitability), but the fact the DSP came with wiring made up to power the woofers, why wait?
Well, I am waiting for a while as I haven't had time to do anything. Car has been sat in my garage for the last week and a half on a trickle charger.
2010 35i DCT

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:44 pm

ultramega wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:33 pm Also coming soon:
IMG_1674.jpg

It seemed silly spending a load of money on DSP/amp but leaving the crappy stock speakers in place. Plan had been to replace the speakers later down the line (I knew it was an inevitability), but the fact the DSP came with wiring made up to power the woofers, why wait?
Well, I am waiting for a while as I haven't had time to do anything. Car has been sat in my garage for the last week and a half on a trickle charger.
Are the logic of inevitability….. :tumbleweed: :rofl:

Look forward to the next set of mods :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 pm

ultramega wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:33 pm It seemed silly spending a load of money on DSP/amp but leaving the crappy stock speakers in place. Plan had been to replace the speakers later down the line (I knew it was an inevitability), but the fact the DSP came with wiring made up to power the woofers, why wait?
Have a chat with Peter (B21), he's doing all that stuff ATM and has the spreadsheets to prove. :thumbsup:

Edit: the old git beat me to it. :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 pm
ultramega wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:33 pm It seemed silly spending a load of money on DSP/amp but leaving the crappy stock speakers in place. Plan had been to replace the speakers later down the line (I knew it was an inevitability), but the fact the DSP came with wiring made up to power the woofers, why wait?
Have a chat with Peter (B21), he's doing all that stuff ATM and has the spreadsheets to prove. :thumbsup:

Edit: the old git beat me to it. :lol:
‘Old git’ is very pejorative..have you been speaking to my favourite fan? :tumbleweed: :thumbsup:

FWIW I led this chappy down this slippery slope..he shows great promise :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: