Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DME updates with WinKFP

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm

Thats great news! If successful, and making a wild assumption that it might be something you'd be willing to do (for some beer tokens!), then effectively with a matching used DME, you could delete the EWS requirement and it would be plug and play? Where is the odometer info held? Presumably on some other module, but that doesn't require a handshake with a replacement DME??

Martyn

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Martyn » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:16 pm

Mileage is held in the cluster and light module.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Rix wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm Thats great news! If successful, and making a wild assumption that it might be something you'd be willing to do (for some beer tokens!), then effectively with a matching used DME, you could delete the EWS requirement and it would be plug and play? Where is the odometer info held? Presumably on some other module, but that doesn't require a handshake with a replacement DME??
Absolutely matey

what's your location?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:04 pm

Martyn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:16 pm Mileage is held in the cluster and light module.
Cheers, good to know

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:05 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Rix wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm Thats great news! If successful, and making a wild assumption that it might be something you'd be willing to do (for some beer tokens!), then effectively with a matching used DME, you could delete the EWS requirement and it would be plug and play? Where is the odometer info held? Presumably on some other module, but that doesn't require a handshake with a replacement DME??
Absolutely matey

what's your location?
Near Stansted - not local I assume?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:14 pm

Rix wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:05 pm
bigwinn wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:27 pm
Absolutely matey

what's your location?
Near Stansted - not local I assume?
I’m sure I can drive past at some point

I was on the m11 today to be fair
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:09 pm

Sounds hopeful! Will PM you :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:50 pm

Rix wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:09 pm Sounds hopeful! Will PM you :)
Just checking: are you sure it's the same fault? Did you check the codes? Could possibly be the throttle body as well. that apparently has 2 potentiometers in in and if they don't agree you get the same symptoms.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:50 pm
Just checking: are you sure it's the same fault? Did you check the codes? Could possibly be the throttle body as well. that apparently has 2 potentiometers in in and if they don't agree you get the same symptoms.
Nope, not sure at all, but the code reader shows no comms with the DME at all. All fuses and relays checked. Fuel pump can be jumped into action but still no start so I was assuming no spark in that state. Without the fuel pump relay jumped, the pump doesn't run so presumably not getting the order from the DME. There were some codes on the other modules but stupidly didn't record them before I cleared them! I'm making lots of guesses but it seems most likely to my small brain!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:40 pm

Rix wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:29 pm
Nope, not sure at all, but the code reader shows no comms with the DME at all. All fuses and relays checked. Fuel pump can be jumped into action but still no start so I was assuming no spark in that state. Without the fuel pump relay jumped, the pump doesn't run so presumably not getting the order from the DME. There were some codes on the other modules but stupidly didn't record them before I cleared them! I'm making lots of guesses but it seems most likely to my small brain!
OK, well Stuart's new gizmo should help you.
On mine it will not communicate with the DME but the fuel pump runs and the car hunts at idle. When we put the new DME in originally it cleared all the codes but the EWS didn't like the DME and the fuel pump did not run.
There a whole raft of possibilities but pretty sure Stuart's laptop, loaded with several different diagnostic tools, will help fix it.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by bigwinn » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:11 pm

Rix wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:29 pm
Rix talking to Martin it would be good to get your dme out for a look see what interchangeable units there are?

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:16 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:11 pm Rix talking to Martin it would be good to get your dme out for a look see what interchangeable units there are?
Beat me to it!
Yes, when I plugged my one into Realoem it gave me a whole long list of ones it superseded and ones that superseded it.
Most, but not all, were exchangeable retrospectively.
I'm not sure if there is any difference, but for safety's sake I went for one from the same engine size as well.

Rix, is this something you'd be happy doing yourself?
If not, where exactly are you near Stansted? Maybe I could pop down and help you check it out, as you'll need a new one before Stuart comes down there.

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:59 pm

You're both very kind! Been a bit busy today but yeah, I had the DME out before to have a physical look at it and even popped the cover off and multimetered the big chunky transistors(?) - no signs of physical damage. Will pop it out tomorrow and grab the markings off the cover etc :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:21 pm

Rix wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:59 pm You're both very kind! Been a bit busy today but yeah, I had the DME out before to have a physical look at it and even popped the cover off and multimetered the big chunky transistors(?) - no signs of physical damage. Will pop it out tomorrow and grab the markings off the cover etc :)
Take a photo. Saves keeping going back to the damn thing every time. (Voice of experience :roll: )
Either look it up on Realoem or stick the photo on here and we can check for you.

Rix

DME updates with WinKFP

Post by Rix » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:54 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:21 pm Take a photo. Saves keeping going back to the damn thing every time. (Voice of experience :roll: )
Tell me about it! Yeah had intended to get a pic when I popped it out before but forgot to do so!
PXL_20230122_091859414~2.jpg
PXL_20230122_091859414~2.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Screenshot_20230122-094023.png
Screenshot_20230122-094023.png (204.42 KiB) Viewed 203 times