Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BC racing coilovers, not too low please

"M" Specific discussion
peteslag

Post by peteslag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm

plenty wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:10 pm
maupineda wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am For your turn-in dilemma, put the CSL front sway bar. I have it, + the CSL alignment settings and the car is very eager to turn it.
CSL geo already applied. Thicker front bar makes sense to me in theory, as I only require added stiffness in cornering and not in a straight line. Will look into it - thanks.
I thought that a thicker ARB on the front would worsen understeer?

My old Z4 had adjustable ARB's and I experimented with many different settings. If I stiffened up the rear turn in was better, if I stiffened the front it made things worse.

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:50 pm

peteslag wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:17 pm
plenty wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:10 pm
maupineda wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 am For your turn-in dilemma, put the CSL front sway bar. I have it, + the CSL alignment settings and the car is very eager to turn it.
CSL geo already applied. Thicker front bar makes sense to me in theory, as I only require added stiffness in cornering and not in a straight line. Will look into it - thanks.
I thought that a thicker ARB on the front would worsen understeer?

My old Z4 had adjustable ARB's and I experimented with many different settings. If I stiffened up the rear turn in was better, if I stiffened the front it made things worse.
Correct, all things being equal stiffening the arb will effectively remove grip from that axle, but in the case of the front it will reduce roll so will give the feeling of it being sharper to turn in.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

plenty

Post by plenty » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm

Ed Doe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:50 pm Correct, all things being equal stiffening the arb will effectively remove grip from that axle, but in the case of the front it will reduce roll so will give the feeling of it being sharper to turn in.
Indeed correct, and any understeer issues can be dialled out with camber etc.

That's the fun thing about suspension tuning - there are many ways to achieve a similar effect, everything is interconnected meaning a change in one area always affects other areas, and the goal is to get all the variables working holistically to your liking.