Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BC racing coilovers, not too low please

"M" Specific discussion
peteslag

Post by peteslag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 pm

Hello all,

I'm definitely going to buy BC racing coilovers but I don't want to lower the car. Before I pull the trigger on a purchase I was wondering if any body on here has BC coilovers set to their highest setting, if so I was hoping you could measure the ride height for me.

I contacted BC racing but they couldn't say with any certainty what the figure was.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

*EDIT* i have my answer, they are height adjustable to near standard height. Thanks for looking.*EDIT*
Last edited by peteslag on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:04 pm

I recently switched from B12s to BCs, I have the ride height around the same as it was on the B12s with plenty of adjustment to go either way.

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Martyn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:04 pm I recently switched from B12s to BCs, I have the ride height around the same as it was on the B12s with plenty of adjustment to go either way.
From memory the B12's have a fairly moderate affect on the ride height. If there is room for adjustment to make the car a bit higher, BC could be perfect for me. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:10 pm

Look out wallet, you are about to get some abuse.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm

peteslag wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 pm Hello all,

I've been driving my Z4MR for a few days now and I'm really not getting on with it. My old Z4 3.0 used to understeer a bit but that was easily fixed with an adjustable anti roll bar kit. The M seems to have lots of understeer/oversteer/squatting/diving problems, in fact it is really unsettled in most conditions compared to previous sports cars I've owned.

After a fair bit of research there seems to be a lot of good feedback for BC racing coilovers given by the lovely people on this forum. I think a set of these would alleviate most of my moans and groans about this car. My only worry is the ride height. I don't really want to lower it at all if possible. I was wondering if any body on here has BC coilovers set to their highest setting, if so I was hoping you could measure the ride height for me.

I contacted BC racing but they couldn't say with any certainty what the figure was.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Before you go spending money on upgrades...

What tyres? Presures?
Is it lowered at all? How many miles on springs and dampers? Are the rear springs cracked?
Is the geo OK?
Rtab bushes also wear with mileage giving a loose feeling at the rear.

Lots to go at before I'd change the suspension, not that I'm against that it could just be something simple... :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

peteslag

Post by peteslag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:40 pm

It has
RedUn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 pm
peteslag wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 pm Hello all,

I've been driving my Z4MR for a few days now and I'm really not getting on with it. My old Z4 3.0 used to understeer a bit but that was easily fixed with an adjustable anti roll bar kit. The M seems to have lots of understeer/oversteer/squatting/diving problems, in fact it is really unsettled in most conditions compared to previous sports cars I've owned.

After a fair bit of research there seems to be a lot of good feedback for BC racing coilovers given by the lovely people on this forum. I think a set of these would alleviate most of my moans and groans about this car. My only worry is the ride height. I don't really want to lower it at all if possible. I was wondering if any body on here has BC coilovers set to their highest setting, if so I was hoping you could measure the ride height for me.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Before you go spending money on upgrades...

What tyres? Presures?
Is it lowered at all? How many miles on springs and dampers? Are the rear springs cracked?
Is the geo OK?
Rtab bushes also wear with mileage giving a loose feeling at the rear.

Lots to go at before I'd change the suspension, not that I'm against that it could just be something simple... :thumbsup:
Thanks for the sage advice and you are completely right, better to look at the cheap options first. It has covered 43,000 miles and the suspension system is in extremely good order.

My car history is quite varied, I've had plenty of fruity cars from Audi/Toyota/Ford/Jaguar/Porsche/Renaultsport, a couple of mad VX220's and quite a few beamers. They have been FWD,4wd and rwd with a good mixture of LSD and open diffs. I've driven most of them on track days but that said I'm no racing driver so I suppose my opinion is not worth much more than any one else's.

My opinion of this car is that the engine/gearbox combo is incredible. The styling is timeless. The carbon weave interior and the sports seats are much nicer than my Z4 3.0. The brake calipers are too small for the amount of engine power. The addition of the LSD has been done poorly, the damping or spring rates aren't quite right. I'm not clever enough to know which. I know this will not be a popular view in an "M" forum but in the immortal words of Clint Eastwood "opinions are like arseholes, we all got one".

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:39 am

Not sure extremely good condition would qualify for a 15 year old suspension system, even at low Kms. Which is probably why you say that the rates aren't quite right. Bushes deteriorate, even more so when not used much. The brake calipers are more than fine on this car, just need to pair it up with some proper fluid and pads, and some new braided lines.

Excellent advise from Red. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3