Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carbon roof

"M" Specific discussion
Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:12 pm

SGRG wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 am
Barrett.d wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:29 pm I ordered one of these just before they closed for Christmas. I Should have it within the next few days . Will let you know what it's like :thumbsup:
Hey @barrett.d, have you installed your carbon roof from Geoff?
Hiya .
Recived it a while back . Seems good quality . No bubbles or imperfections that I can see , well packaged . Haven't got round to fitting it yet , currently got a massive box in my living room , which my missus is really happy about :rofl:

SGRG

Carbon roof

Post by SGRG » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:25 pm

Barrett.d wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:12 pm
SGRG wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:58 am
Barrett.d wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:29 pm I ordered one of these just before they closed for Christmas. I Should have it within the next few days . Will let you know what it's like :thumbsup:
Hey @barrett.d, have you installed your carbon roof from Geoff?
Hiya .
Recived it a while back . Seems good quality . No bubbles or imperfections that I can see , well packaged . Haven't got round to fitting it yet , currently got a massive box in my living room , which my missus is really happy about :rofl:
Thanks for getting back. Have you figured out plan for installation including adding clear coat etc? Hopefully your missus doesn’t “accidentally” throw it away :)

I am thinking about doing this as well still in two minds at moment.
Current:
Z4MC 2007
Porsche Cayenne 2019 (Black / Bordeaux Red two-tone leather interior)

Previous:
X5 40D 2011
E92 M3 manual 2011
Z4 3.0 2003
Honda Prelude 2.2 1997
Honda Civic Coupe 1995

Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:08 pm

Luckily she's only small , so would struggle to shift it :D
I've got some aero skits that need spraying and fitting , and a skyer rear spoiler to go on . Gonna take it all to a local bodyshop and let them try and figure it out . Probably just give them geoff steel number so they can sort it from there .

zerotosixtyasap

Carbon roof

Post by zerotosixtyasap » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:09 pm

Carbon roofs are cheeky mate, can't go wrong!

Barty

Carbon roof

Post by Barty » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 am

Barrett.d wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:08 pm Luckily she's only small , so would struggle to shift it :D
I've got some aero skits that need spraying and fitting , and a skyer rear spoiler to go on . Gonna take it all to a local bodyshop and let them try and figure it out . Probably just give them geoff steel number so they can sort it from there .
Hi Barrett.d,

Any updates on the roof installation? Really would like one for mine as well, so looking forward to your experiences and pics :thumbsup: TIA!
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:28 pm

Hi mate .
Still yet to have it fitted. Had to pay out to get the van back on the road and the e91 motorway mile muncher needed a service . Got the Z Booked in next month some time. Need to order some new roof seating rubbers aswell as mine have slightly perished. Will put up some pics when it's all done .

bg1

Carbon roof

Post by bg1 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:05 am

Just checked it out and it says.....

on receipt of the items fit them as soon as possible. Incorrect storage can lead to items becoming misshaped

Barty

Carbon roof

Post by Barty » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Barrett.d wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:28 pm Hi mate .
Still yet to have it fitted. Had to pay out to get the van back on the road and the e91 motorway mile muncher needed a service . Got the Z Booked in next month some time. Need to order some new roof seating rubbers aswell as mine have slightly perished. Will put up some pics when it's all done .
Little thread bump on this! Any updates on the new roof?

Also, and maybe Vanne knows this, is it possible to reinstall the headliner, sun visors, etc?

DevonPaul

Carbon roof

Post by DevonPaul » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:56 pm

How much lighter are these than the bit they replace? I suspectt I could lose a couple of kg much quicker and cheaper than I could sawp the roof panel ;)

And has anyone noticed the name of the bloke making the replacement panels? Personally I think changing it to Geoff Carbon would help.
2006 Imola Z4MC (wife's shopping trolley)
1990 Toyota Carina (Started as a free family heirloom, now apparently a Classic)
2016 Toyota Avensis 1.6D (yup, the *really* slow one).
2011 TDM900
1997 VFR750 project. 95% complete. Only 30% left to do.

Barty

Carbon roof

Post by Barty » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:04 pm

DevonPaul wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:56 pm How much lighter are these than the bit they replace? I suspectt I could lose a couple of kg much quicker and cheaper than I could sawp the roof panel ;)

And has anyone noticed the name of the bloke making the replacement panels? Personally I think changing it to Geoff Carbon would help.
Original roof comes it at around 8kg, Carbon at 2-2.5 I believe. It’s by no means a way to lose weight for me (or the car…) but simply because it fits the overal idea I have for the look of mine.

Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:36 pm

So . Bodyshop that's meant to be fitting it have been really busy. Was going to have number plate removed and front wings and bonnet done at the same time to get rid of stone chips , but got bored of waiting . So have scrapped that idea til next year . dropped the roof off along with skirts and spoiler for spraying a few weeks ago. Should be clear coated by now. Waiting on a call to drop the car off for fitting. It's taken forever but should be worth the wait as Thier work is always top . 👌

Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:40 pm

Got a feeling that the front end respray may get put on the back burner though , as supercharger is the priority early next year !!!

Barrett.d

Carbon roof

Post by Barrett.d » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:23 pm

Here's an update on the roof if anyone's interested .

viewtopic.php?p=1948778#p1948778

Vanne

Carbon roof

Post by Vanne » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:28 am

Easy install, you can do it yourself if your handy with some piano wire. Take your time to reseat the roof, again easy enough to do with some blue painters tape. Clear coat is a must. If your not going to re-install the liner, then you'll need to black paint it underneath or the sun will shine through. Either that or lay some back alcantara on the under side. If your re-installing the liner than that's not an issue. It's not just an easy 6kgs, but 6kgs at roof height .. no brainer. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3