Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Axel's Coupé - 2.25 years, new chaprter!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
axelleveau

Axel's Coupé - 2.25 years, new chaprter!

Post by axelleveau » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 pm

As I was wondering how to do a proper introduction now that I have moved from “looking for a Zed” to “owner of a Zed”, I got inspired by Barty’s thread (which is awesome BTW) and decided to do a kind of story/blog. It will likely be the best way for me to ask questions that come up as I discover the car and for interested people to follow the build if interested. I am not very much into writing and forums, but I’ll try to keep this running to have a recording of what I do with the car.

A bit of introduction
As my forum name suggests, I am Axel. 26 years old French guy living in the UK, working as an engineer on future powertrains for Jaguar Land Rover, married to a lovely wife, no kids. I discovered and fell in love with the Z4 Coupé as an colleague of mine owned one. The reason is simple: I am attracted to light, sporty, driver first cars. As it was time to replace my trusty 1.0L turbo Fiesta which I brought from France and drove in the UK for way too long, the Coupé seemed perfect for a daily driver. I found the one in a forum ad a couple of weeks ago and it is now on my drive!

About the car
It’s a 2007 Z4 3.0Si Sport Coupé, Manual, Montego Blue.
She currently has 103k miles with a good service history. She is sitting on 19inch BBS CH003 Wheels. The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sport with 265/35R19 rear and 235/35R19 fronts, I like the meaty look of the oversized rears and the ride still is smooth on stock sport suspension.
She has a two tone black/white interior which I had never seen before, with leather dash, not the full extended leather option. I like that it gives a sportier/modern look over the beige/black interiors.
IMG_20220430_180857_1.jpg
IMG_20220430_180857_1.jpg (178.42 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
IMG_20220522_230012.jpg
IMG_20220522_230012.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
Other options: 10 speakers audio system, Blacked out rear windows, Sports seats with memory and Sport Multi-Functional Steering Wheel, Aux in., Cruise Control, Alarm, Auto AC, Bi-Xenon, Cup Holders in working order, Stubby Aerial, CDV delete, De-badged, Sound Generator Foam Delete, ZHP Gear Lever (a bit tuff for a first right hand drive experience but nice once used to it)
Last edited by axelleveau on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

axelleveau

Axel's Coupé - Build LOG - 1st Week

Post by axelleveau » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:31 pm

Early feedback:
It took me some time to find a good seat position (and still have some work to do) so I can see over the bonnet, not have my face in the roof or view blocked by the mirror while also not having my knees in the steering. I think I need to lower the seat but have a more upright position. Other than that, it is hard not to be in love. The engine behavior and sound are brilliant, car is very comfortable but gives a lot of fedback and is dynamic. I did not have a chance to push it yet but that will come eventually. My wife is also happy with it, her life is easier for getting in/out as her seat is all the way back and she is pretty small. She has to be warned before I get the rear end sliding though :oops:
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm

Welcome Axel!

I am also an engineer at Jaguar Land Rover and am based in Warwick if you ever need any Z4 help and are local. :D

The car looks fantastic! I love the colour as well as the rather unique black and white interior (not seen one in that combination before).

Keep us updated as we love to hear all things Z4 :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Welcome to Coupe ownership. :thumbsup:

They are great cars, and I really like your interior although wrapping the silver door handles sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully using your car will put some charge back into your keys, although I have read that sitting them next to a toothbrush charger can rstore some life to them.

Good luck getting your car exactly as you want it. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Welcome! Your friend didn't happen to work for JLR also? French chap called Kevin?
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

Barty

Post by Barty » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Welcome Axel, what a lovely Zed you’ve got! 8)
The two-tone leather is really nice, something I quite liked in my first white coupe. The leather dash especially is a nice touch! The blue just pops on the coupe as well.

You say you’re not into writing but it’s a joy to read. Thanks for the kind words in your opening by the way! Looking forward to your experiences, changes and modifications :thumbsup:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:38 pm

TheDan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm Welcome Axel!

I am also an engineer at Jaguar Land Rover and am based in Warwick if you ever need any Z4 help and are local. :D

The car looks fantastic! I love the colour as well as the rather unique black and white interior (not seen one in that combination before).

Keep us updated as we love to hear all things Z4 :thumbsup:
Thanks for the support! I have seen another Coupe looking almost exactly like mine (even same aftermarket wheels) while in Gaydon recently. I'll probably try to park next to it one day :rofl:
Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:06 pm Welcome to Coupe ownership. :thumbsup:

They are great cars, and I really like your interior although wrapping the silver door handles sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully using your car will put some charge back into your keys, although I have read that sitting them next to a toothbrush charger can rstore some life to them.

Good luck getting your car exactly as you want it. :thumbsup:
It is mainly the mix of piano black, rough black and silver which triggers me. It will also be a good opportunity to refresh the steering wheel as it shows usual signs of age around the button.

I tried the tootbrush charger but I am afraid the one I have either don't activate or not at the proper frequency or something. But yes using them helps, the weakest one now gets locking for one or two uses after a short drive.
Ed Doe wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:14 pm Welcome! Your friend didn't happen to work for JLR also? French chap called Kevin?
Sorry, I do not know a french Kevin currently in JLR. Unfortunately my colleague who introduced me to Zeds had to sell his and has since had to leave the company in the early Covid days...
Barty wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:23 pm Welcome Axel, what a lovely Zed you’ve got! 8)
The two-tone leather is really nice, something I quite liked in my first white coupe. The leather dash especially is a nice touch! The blue just pops on the coupe as well.

You say you’re not into writing but it’s a joy to read. Thanks for the kind words in your opening by the way! Looking forward to your experiences, changes and modifications :thumbsup:
I agree about the blue. I like all colors but feel like the blue gives the most details... Well, ignoring green but it sounds like you found the only one ever made :-P I guess I would probably also go into a "classier" rather than "sporty" look with a green one like you do with the dark brown interior :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:51 pm

axelleveau wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:38 pm I agree about the blue.
So do I! My 2nd E86 was Montego Blue with Pearl Grey leather and Cirrus Aluminium trim which just worked so well.

Although Barty's green one looks stunning too!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:06 am

Another Warwick coupe owner here. Will look out for you!
Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Stratus Grey - M sport seats, headlining, New England, Carver, Cruise, Xenons, sT XTAs, Eisenmann race, 18” 405m
G21 M340i - Tanzanite - Tech Pack, Comfort + Pack, Visibility pack, pan roof.

Calps

Post by Calps » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:03 am

Welcome Alex!

Sounds like you've got yourself and nice project to work on. I'll echo what others have said, I really like the blue exterior colour, it's fab. The interior is great as well, although I'm just as triggered as you are about the silver/piano/leather combo! I'm considering whether to wrap some of my interior trim, so will be watching your progress closely :wink:
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Z450

Post by Z450 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Lovely looking car Axel look forward to seeing the updates 👍
Last edited by Z450 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

axelleveau

Post by axelleveau » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I ordered the vinyl for the interior wrap yesterday. I got 3M 2080 CFS12, a 152*50cm piece was just under £50 with shipping so pretty happy with that. I picked this one as I expect it should be the best balance between a stylish matt carbon weave and a realistic glossy resin carbon. I will definitely do a report on how things go with that once I get to it. I expect most small pieces to be easy and the gearbox surround to be a pain. Not sure about the steering wheel yet, it might be possible to do it without taking it appart.

I also just ran the VIN into Bimmer.Work and have the full list of options, it is pretty much aligned with what I knew already but it is always good to have it written down:
VinDecoder.png
VinDecoder.png (181.01 KiB) Viewed 1930 times

Roberltd2

Post by Roberltd2 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:25 pm

What is "8SP Cop Control"? Sounds like a useful option :)
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:19 pm

i love those seats :D they look flash! :D :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3