Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dent removal Advise

Alpina Specific discussion
SimonRose

Dent removal Advise

Post by SimonRose » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi Team,
Long timoe no speak and Merry Xmas.
Some bugger managed to put a small dent in No19s' driver door with their door in a car park.
I got a dent man in and he wants to drill a small hole in the door on the side ( where the door closes, covered by a grommet on completion) to get to the correct area but I stopped him.
Would we not be better to go in via removal of the door card and not put holes in the car unless needed!!! He seemed worried by this incase putting the door card back presented issues with broken clips.
I am no dent expert but though I should check , I dont want holes in No19. I love her too much. She is otherwise well.
Is it the case of getting some clips and telling him to not be lazy?
bar a broken NS headlamp, being repelaced with a whole new unit.
Hope you are all well
Your thoughts are most welcome.
Simon Rose
Roadster S Lux #19 Silver with black leather
F31 D3 #218 Mediterranean Blue with Oyster Leather

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Dent removal Advise

Post by Lynchy » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:21 pm

It is common practice to drill a small hole to get to some dents and I understand your concern. A small rubber grommet will fill the hole and tends to look like it’s always been there. It also saves the dent man time in trying to get your door card off and breaking bits while doing so. Why don’t you remove the door card and let him remove the dent and then you can put the card back on.

SimonRose

Dent removal Advise

Post by SimonRose » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:54 pm

Thanks Lynchy. I will do as you have suggested.
Merry Xmas
Roadster S Lux #19 Silver with black leather
F31 D3 #218 Mediterranean Blue with Oyster Leather

dhobbs

Dent removal Advise

Post by dhobbs » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:55 pm

I had some dents removed from my door and the guy went in through the window gap slightly prying it open with a small wedge and using long pry bars.

Depends where the dent is though.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

ori

Dent removal Advise

Post by ori » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 pm

While it’s common practice, it would bother me.

Surely just get some clips in so that if clips break during removal of door you are prepared?