Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting a new windscreen seal to an E86 . Anybody done this ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:04 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:54 pm
bigwinn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:56 pm I could drop the roof and get more leverage on to the middle of the screen
I think this could make all the difference as I really struggled getting the new seal on a E91 to push in because of the stretch over the roof .
100% agree

Without roof down you were pulling it down the screen toward you, with the roof down you were able to get a better angle and push away from you

Sorry that doesn’t help you e86 guys…
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:07 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:04 pm Sorry that doesn’t help you e86 guys…
I`ll have to hang myself from the garage roof Tom Cruise style :D
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:19 pm

:rofl:
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Barty

Post by Barty » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Thank god for 6’1 and long ape-arms :P The Tom Cruise alternative sounds good too
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:46 pm

Just a quick update on this . I have tried to do this and gave up as I didn`t want to break the windscreen . A local windscreen guy with over 20 years experience confirmed that the coupe windscreens need to come out to replace the seal and they sometimes crack when doing it . He is hopefully going to replace the seal this week so will update then . Hope he doesn`t crack the windscreen as BMW have none in stock in the UK or Germany and I have been told it will be at least 2 months before I can get one from BMW .
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:06 pm

Forgot to update this . I have now had the seal replaced and it looks so much better . There was no way it was going to fit without removing the windscreen which the windscreen fitter confirmed . All went well and he did a great job without any issues . :)

SW_Coupe

Post by SW_Coupe » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 am

Sorry to res. - where was this, and what did you pay?

Noticed a corner of mine has disappeared!

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:04 am

SW_Coupe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 am Sorry to res. - where was this, and what did you pay?
PM sent

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:29 am

Just a word of warning - brief story on mine - I replaced the seal, and then a week later got a proper big stone chip, so had to get the windscreen replaced.

National Windscreens did the replacemetn (genuine BMW glass & New Genuine BMW Seal). The Technician said I'd been very luck to have got the replacement seal in at all, and if the windscreen had been replaced previously then they would have bonded it in with the seal in place, so it would make it even more challenging to fit a replacement seal on its own.

When I replaced my seal for the first time, I had to actually trim back some old windscreen sealant to make the seal fit - I did it on a blazing hot day which was good from the point of view the seal was at least supple, but bad in that I could almost not touch the seal it was so hot in the sun :lol: the fit down the passenger side edge wasn't great, and in retrospect this was because the sealant was pushing it out a bit, so could have done with further fettling...

Basically what I'm saying is if your glass has been replaced before, approach with a degree of caution as you may find it very tricky to extract the old seal and replace it, and be prepared that you may need to have a good look at the sealant and trim it back carefully in places to improve the new seal fit. :thumbsup:
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(