Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DCT weeps/sweats/leaks ... ?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:25 am

2011 35iS, 82k miles, mine since 20k. A very good car. Like it a lot. However, not without faults, most* reported in "E89 Comprehensive problem list".

*Got bored reporting same faults and same 'solutions'. Now really bored with 'Leak from DCT sump plate' again. This has been 'cured' by replacing the gasket/gasket & sump plate 3 or 4 times.

Is there no real solution?
Vidi, vici, veni

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:32 am

There are aftermarket sumps made out of metal allloys available..maybe they offer a solution…about 800 USD plus freight n taxes etc..

Some are a bit cheaper…let me know how you get on..

https://arperformance.co.uk/product/dod ... -sump-pan/
Attachments
B6422F69-31F4-434E-B6B1-989053CB3AAD.jpeg
B6422F69-31F4-434E-B6B1-989053CB3AAD.jpeg (145.53 KiB) Viewed 905 times
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 am

Thank you, B21. A good idea. Sadly, high cost - US$800 + shipping & duty/VAT - and not without significant risk of product failure.

My experience of importing parts from small manufacturers in the States isn't good.
Vidi, vici, veni

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 am Thank you, B21. A good idea. Sadly, high cost - US$800 + shipping & duty/VAT - and not without significant risk of product failure.

My experience of importing parts from small manufacturers in the States isn't good.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E92-F82- ... 9IQAvD_BwE

EU sourced version £350..kerching :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:14 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Busterboo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 am Thank you, B21. A good idea. Sadly, high cost - US$800 + shipping & duty/VAT - and not without significant risk of product failure.

:D :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 pm

It's a common enough fault but if someone has replaced it 4 times on their car then I would suggest there is another problem causing it or the installer either used dodgy parts or installed it incorrectly.

No harm in using the metal sump though. It would prevent a leak caused by a warped cover but would still suffer from gasket problems. Just be aware some metal sumps will foul against the undertrays.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pm

R.E92 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 pm It's a common enough fault but if someone has replaced it 4 times on their car then I would suggest there is another problem causing it or the installer either used dodgy parts or installed it incorrectly.

No harm in using the metal sump though. It would prevent a leak caused by a warped cover but would still suffer from gasket problems. Just be aware some metal sumps will foul against the undertrays.
:thumbsup:

Any recommendations? :driving:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:04 am

There are 3 main points that 'weep' on the DCT trans, the first is right at the top on the connector body, there's a seal that shrinks over time and oil thrown off the clutch pack works its way out, and down the side of the trans. This is a pain to change without dropping the gearbox.

The second is the mechatronics cover seal, this is generally pretty robust but can still weep, another pain to replace without dropping the gearbox.

The third is the pan as you've already identified, fairly simple to change. The pan gasket is often blamed, when in reality it's usually leaking down from either of the above.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 am

B21 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pm
R.E92 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 pm It's a common enough fault but if someone has replaced it 4 times on their car then I would suggest there is another problem causing it or the installer either used dodgy parts or installed it incorrectly.

My suggestion would just be wait for it to weep or until the DCT fluid has 70k on it then do a full transmission service including new pressure filter, suction filter, gasket, sump and DCT fluid. If just doing on miles I wouldn't buy a new sump, just the gasket as that part can be pricey.

It's quite an easy DIY once you get the car off the ground. Doing it on jack stands is a pain.

Martyn is right about the other possible leaks. They are less common but doing either the mech cover or top seal requires the trans to be dropped so you should do both at the same time. I wouldn't bother doing them until they leak though.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Beware - a lot of these CNC made aftermarket sumps hang lower than the original. You will need to modify your underbody shielding which then exposes the bodywork to all the crap and the sump itself is more likely to suffer damage.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:05 pm

mcbutler wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:49 pm
Busterboo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Beware - a lot of these CNC made aftermarket sumps hang lower than the original. You will need to modify your underbody shielding which then exposes the bodywork to all the crap and the sump itself is more likely to suffer damage.
Useful to know :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:07 pm

R.E92 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 am
B21 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:15 pm

My suggestion would just be wait for it to weep or until the DCT fluid has 70k on it then do a full transmission service including new pressure filter, suction filter, gasket, sump and DCT fluid. If just doing on miles I wouldn't buy a new sump, just the gasket as that part can be pricey.

It's quite an easy DIY once you get the car off the ground. Doing it on jack stands is a pain.

Martyn is right about the other possible leaks. They are less common but doing either the mech cover or top seal requires the trans to be dropped so you should do both at the same time. I wouldn't bother doing them until they leak though.
My 35is is feeling unloved so I’ll see if I can find one that doesn’t cause any issues..planning to do all the remaining fluids changes in January..it’s done 50k miles. Already bought the filter and oils.. :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:25 am 2011 35iS, 82k miles, mine since 20k. A very good car. Like it a lot. However, not without faults, most* reported in "E89 Comprehensive problem list".

*Got bored reporting same faults and same 'solutions'. Now really bored with 'Leak from DCT sump plate' again. This has been 'cured' by replacing the gasket/gasket & sump plate 3 or 4 times.

Is there no real solution?
Thanks to McButler for the heads up on deep pans..

May go for one if these when I do the DCT fluids next month..

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6398 ... k-dct-pan/

zxy

Post by zxy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 pm

The oem seal is made of nitrile which is ok but not very heat resistant. Also you may be overheating the DCT somehow and even warping the plastic pan. There are also viton seals that have a much higher temperature rating. Some manufacturers use it in transmissions and engine seals. It would be interesting to know if Viton is specified in the 35is and/or higher horsepower models.
2 Corvettes 2 Porsches,2 Alfas, 2 BMWs

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:31 pm

zxy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 pm The oem seal is made of nitrile which is ok but not very heat resistant. Also you may be overheating the DCT somehow and even warping the plastic pan. There are also viton seals that have a much higher temperature rating. Some manufacturers use it in transmissions and engine seals. It would be interesting to know if Viton is specified in the 35is and/or higher horsepower models.
DCT unit is essentially common across then then current bmw models..so all nitrile seals…

The upgraded sump I’ve ordered has the Viton seals :thumbsup: