Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aerial replacement with DAB / FM powered aerial

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
timmeee81

Post by timmeee81 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:17 am

Hi everyone,

First off, this is my first Z4 and already received a lot of help by searching this forum so a big thank you to everyone!

I could not find any info regarding replacing the aerial for a DAB powered aerial. Loads regarding windscreen aerials etc but not an actual stubby aerial replacement like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eightwood-Ampl ... pt=ANTENNA

I've removed the old aerial itself but not any wiring as I had damage on the rear quarter panel and needed to fill and spray it when I got the vehicle, so thought I would replace with a DAB in its place while it's out. I know I will need to feed it to a the fuse box for power that works with the ignition but I really wanted to completely remove the old one.

I just thought it would look more neat than having another aerial stuck to the windscreen or any where else.

When I've got some info and decide to go ahead with it, I'll try to supply a walk through with what i do and before / after pics / info.

Thanks in advance to everyone! :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

That looks like an interesting project - looking forward to seeing how you get on.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

timmeee81

Post by timmeee81 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:53 pm

Thanks Mr Tidy,

I think I'll just take the plunge and order one and go from there. It'll take me a couple of days doing bits in between life but I'll keep everyone updated with pics etc and let you all know if the powered AM/FM improves reception.

ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead

Post by ZedsDeadbabyZedzdead » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:16 pm

I’ll be interested to see how you get on, my car only really gets 3 FM stations and it’s one of the very few things that feels like it dates the car to me

Haro

Post by Haro » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:23 pm

Did this a couple of years ago, the base of the Amazon aerial is bigger and needs ground down to fit. The wiring was easy as I have an aftermarket stereo which had a powered ignition feed for it, the difference is huge compared to the windscreen nonsense. You can run the wiring down the passenger side, through the rear speaker/cubby, down the sill and up by the footwell speaker. The power is not for fm or am, only dab, but the reception is better than the overly complicated BMW set up.

colb

Post by colb » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:39 pm

Not had my Z4 aerial out but just changed my Z3 aerial which was playing up from internal wire fault. The Z3 aerial has a built in amplifier that is powered by a live feed to it from the boot loom, it has a separate earth lead that is attached to the aerial mounting bracket. On the Z3 the earth lead must be connected in the boot or the head unit won't switch on. Replaced the original aerial with a cheap ebay one which just about fitted the hole in the wing and looks like its got a watertight seal. Its not amplified, however seems to tune in the radio stations I use ok.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231161071623
You may find that the Z4 aerial has a similar wiring set up with a live and earth feed so no need to run a wire to the front fuse box, just use the wiring if its there on the original unit.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

timmeee81

Post by timmeee81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Thank you Haro and colb, this aerial says that both AM/FM and DAB are amplified. As for the earth, I was planning on running a wire to the boot loom anyway but I've also heard that a lot of aftermarket stereos have a power feed so I may just wait until the head unit arrives, check that and then install.

Haro

Post by Haro » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 pm

timmeee81 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pm Thank you Haro and colb, this aerial says that both AM/FM and DAB are amplified. As for the earth, I was planning on running a wire to the boot loom anyway but I've also heard that a lot of aftermarket stereos have a power feed so I may just wait until the head unit arrives, check that and then install.
It's just a sales pitch, the power is for the active dab. An amplified unit wouldn't fit in the base of an aerial, but as I say it is a lot better than the standard one. You'll have an electric aerial or component output wire on the back of the unit, but like I said you'll need to shave the alloy base as the hole is more square shaped from memory.