Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rumour - Manual Transmission in the Supra

Discussing the current generation Z4
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:54 am People are vilified for suggesting that an auto is a viable option for ‘sporting’ motoring..

I’ve never yet known someone who has a ZF8HP box and decided that a manual is a better option.
I’d always have chosen manual previously but in the correct modes for what I want to do my G29 is a delight to drive.

On our last forum run out I was using the paddles a lot more than before. Don’t know if that was the type of roads, me getting more used to the car, or the rate we were travelling at but from my point of view I don’t think having a manual would’ve made it any more enjoyable an experience or would’ve allowed me to cover the ground any quicker.

I think I was covering the ground at a reasonable pace in my auto as manual driving as idej_z4, could confirm as we spent most of the weekend in tandem :oops: :driving: :lol:

And yes that’s IN tandem not ON a bloody tandem :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Like Argyll Andy I've had decades of manuals..some of the DSGs brought the balance of decision making on a par but the box in the E89 is a honey. The G29 version seemed to be at least as good, I couldn't tell on my test drives whether it was better..it had several extra modes, not sure what they all did. :thumbsup:

I find that I only have to use the paddles if I'm trying harder Andy? :poke: :driving: :rofl:
    White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 pm I find that I only have to use the paddles if I'm trying harder Andy? :poke: :driving: :rofl:
    I can concur Ed, I was trying to cover the ground quicker than the rest at that point :oops: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

dr_john
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by dr_john » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 pm

I remember years back giving my old dad a hard time when he switched to auto, now I understand why he did it, at 70+ it's a welcome option.

My years living and working in the USA also gave me an appreciation for autos.
      Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:36 pm It will be a miserable day when I buy another Automatic car - it'll only happen when I'm not capable of working 3 pedals.

I hope Toyota do offer a manual Coupe - I'm rather partial to them! :lol:

A man with taste :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:16 pm On our last forum run out I was using the paddles a lot more than before. Don’t know if that was the type of roads, me getting more used to the car, or the rate we were travelling at but from my point of view I don’t think having a manual would’ve made it any more enjoyable an experience or would’ve allowed me to cover the ground any quicker.
      99% of the time I drive using the paddles rather than in full blown auto mode :thumbsup:
      2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:15 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm 99% of the time I drive using the paddles rather than in full blown auto mode
      That’s where I think the newer box comes into its own. Unless really tramping on, it is pretty much in the right gear and even then it probably is I just found myself changing early to set it up for corners etc it may wel have done this itself and quicker than I could :thumbsup:

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:16 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:15 pm That’s where I think the newer box comes into its own. Unless really tramping on, it is pretty much in the right gear and even then it probably is I just found myself changing early to set it up for corners etc it may wel have done this itself and quicker than I could :thumbsup:
        Tbf the old box is just as capable of choosing the right gear, I just prefer to drive than be driven :rofl:

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:51 pm I remember years back giving my old dad a hard time when he switched to auto, now I understand why he did it, at 70+ it's a welcome option.
        I had my first auto 35 years ago and it was a great car for the traffic jams that were an every day part of my life in South London in those days but I don't think I bought an auto deliberately it just came that way. There is no doubt that in those days there was a power loss over a manual gearbox.

My next few cars were manuals but in the last 15 years I have had half a dozen cars and they have all been large engined autos and I see no reason why anyone would want to drive a manual car unless they have concerns about the size of their manhood

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Ian J wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm My next few cars were manuals but in the last 15 years I have had half a dozen cars and they have all been large engined autos and I see no reason why anyone would want to drive a manual car unless they have concerns about the size of their manhood
        For the enjoyment of driving the car and having that connection to the engine, having thrown a track prepped Elise S1 round a track if that had an auto it wouldnt have been half the fun the manual was.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm
        Ian J wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm My next few cars were manuals but in the last 15 years I have had half a dozen cars and they have all been large engined autos and I see no reason why anyone would want to drive a manual car unless they have concerns about the size of their manhood
        For the enjoyment of driving the car and having that connection to the engine, having thrown a track prepped Elise S1 round a track if that had an auto it wouldnt have been half the fun the manual was.
        Then, when you accidentally put the gear from 5th or 6th into 3rd, the level of fun will be half further. :headbang: :headbang:

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:29 pm

q96169we wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm Then, when you accidentally put the gear from 5th or 6th into 3rd, the level of fun will be half further. :headbang: :headbang:
        Ive managed to never ever do that thankfully!

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:29 pm
        q96169we wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:23 pm Then, when you accidentally put the gear from 5th or 6th into 3rd, the level of fun will be half further. :headbang: :headbang:
        Ive managed to never ever do that thankfully!
        Some guy called Robert Mitchell did it to his GR Yaris. So, there is a possibility. :tumbleweed:

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 pm

q96169we wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm Some guy called Robert Mitchell did it to his GR Yaris. So, there is a possibility. :tumbleweed:
        Sounds like he should stick to Jazz :P :rofl:

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:01 pm
        q96169we wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm Some guy called Robert Mitchell did it to his GR Yaris. So, there is a possibility. :tumbleweed:
        Sounds like he should stick to Jazz :P :rofl:
        Not sure how good he is or whether he is good at all. But I think he might be slightly better than sticking to Jazz. :rofl:

ronk
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:04 pm

I’ve read all this “at one with the car” with a manual box in the car, but the current technology surely an auto does a much better job? Nevertheless I accept that some still enjoy making the decisions - but would the same also be applied to the electronics that keep us out of the ditches?

350 BHP Without the electronics would see a lot of driving gods into the ditch I suspect.

I’m sticking with all the help I can get - I did all the sideways driving years ago. :rofl:
        You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
        So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: