Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Suspension Refresh

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JamesClements

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by JamesClements » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi all

After 83k on what I assume is the original shocks I'm beginning it might be time for a suspension refresh, I'm not sure they doing much damping - if any - anymore! Can anyone advise on suitable aftermarket replacements and any other bits that are worth doing at the same time? I have been considering lowering the car at the back so may do those springs anyway. Also how easy/difficult is this to do on the driveway with basic tools? I'm not an expert but do the usual servicing brakes etc. myself any feedback would be appreciated :)

Car is a 2007 2.5i sport

Cheers
2006 Sapphire Black E86 3.0si | 108's, ZHP, Stubby, Eibach Springs
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot
2022 BMW G80 320D Touring

Zulu4

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by Zulu4 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:57 pm

There are loads of threads about this subject.
Perhaps start in the "how to" section.
viewforum.php?f=24
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi James

Good time to do it as Autodoc are around 40% off this week, if you can put up with the wait of about 2 weeks for the bits youll save a few quid!

Fronts- usually opt for Bilstens, lemforder top mounts and decent make drop links. Same if you are going to do the ARB bushes (recommended in my humble opinion!)
Rears I havent been too sniffy with Sachs or Monroe shocks, top mounts again lemforders and drop links similar

The rear drop links and bushes are a PITA if you havent done before but there are some good tips that can be shared if you decide to do it that will save time and energy! I've done a write up thats worth a look

Springs- rears just 'pop' out easily so simple job to swap- fronts youll need spring compressors

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm

As usual, I concur with Mr Bigwinn.
Up to now though I've used Sachs front shocks with no issues.
To a certain extent I think the choice at that level comes down to price and discounts at the time of buying.
Stuart is closer to you, but I'm always happy to discuss stuff if you want to PM.
If you go for standard replacements and follow Stuart's advice on makes then Autodoc should see you right for somewhere in the £400 bracket.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

JamesClements

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by JamesClements » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:19 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:57 pm Hi James

Good time to do it as Autodoc are around 40% off this week, if you can put up with the wait of about 2 weeks for the bits youll save a few quid!

Fronts- usually opt for Bilstens, lemforder top mounts and decent make drop links. Same if you are going to do the ARB bushes (recommended in my humble opinion!)
Rears I havent been too sniffy with Sachs or Monroe shocks, top mounts again lemforders and drop links similar

The rear drop links and bushes are a PITA if you havent done before but there are some good tips that can be shared if you decide to do it that will save time and energy! I've done a write up thats worth a look

Springs- rears just 'pop' out easily so simple job to swap- fronts youll need spring compressors

Cheers

Stuart
Thanks Stuart that was quick!:) no real rush think Ill jump on that offer, I was just reading your write up actually, seems reasonably straightforward although getting the front spring off looks lightly perilous :rofl: Bilsteins seemed to be the general opinion from what Iv read :thumbsup:
2007 Carbon Black E85 2.5i | 19" NAD alloys, Pilot Sport 4S, strut brace, Stubby, ZHP, Brembo 4 pots, Greenstuff pads, Alcantara retrim, roof motor in boot

JamesClements

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by JamesClements » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm As usual, I concur with Mr Bigwinn.
To a certain extent I think the choice at that level comes down to price and discounts at the time of buying.
Stuart is closer to you, but I'm always happy to discuss stuff if you want to PM.
If you go for standard replacements and follow Stuart's advice on makes then Autodoc should see you right for somewhere in the £400 bracket.
Thanks for the offer, think Ill get the parts on order seems like a good price - I'm sure Ill be coming back to you both once the spanners come out!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm

James always welcome over here if you want collective support doing it!!

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:50 pm

JamesClements wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:21 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm As usual, I concur with Mr Bigwinn.
Thanks for the offer, think Ill get the parts on order seems like a good price - I'm sure Ill be coming back to you both once the spanners come out!
No problem.
From experience I think your rubber seating pads on the front will be ok to re-use.
The front bump stops will crumble to nothing, so get new ones, but the dust covers they supply now are plastic. Far better to remove your old ones and re-use them. I clean them up with Autoglym bumper care and they come up like new, much more supple.
I've done a few now and always found the springs to be ok, so never replaced them. However, given the faff involved, if you are in any doubt at all on the front ones, change them while you're in there.
Also well worth getting new bolts for the lower knuckles on the front as the old ones will be well past their best.
Two of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184878518948
When you dismantle the front legs, make good note of the order bits come off in.
Keep an eye out for the small metal dust covers that fit over the top mount roller bearings on the underside.
These tend to stick in the old mounts, and the new mounts don't come with any.
Pain when you find them after everything is back together (ahem.............so I'm told :roll: )
Rear is pretty simple to do, once you know how the parcel shelf and support trays come out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

JamesClements

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by JamesClements » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm James always welcome over here if you want collective support doing it!!
Thanks Stuart - might take you up on that don't think you are too far from me - you most have the most understanding Mrs in the world the amount of Zeds turning up on your drive! :rofl:

JamesClements

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by JamesClements » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:19 pm

[/quote]
No problem.
From experience I think your rubber seating pads on the front will be ok to re-use.
The front bump stops will crumble to nothing, so get new ones, but the dust covers they supply now are plastic. Far better to remove your old ones and re-use them. I clean them up with Autoglym bumper care and they come up like new, much more supple.
I've done a few now and always found the springs to be ok, so never replaced them. However, given the faff involved, if you are in any doubt at all on the front ones, change them while you're in there.
Also well worth getting new bolts for the lower knuckles on the front as the old ones will be well past their best.
Two of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184878518948
When you dismantle the front legs, make good note of the order bits come off in.
Keep an eye out for the small metal dust covers that fit over the top mount roller bearings on the underside.
These tend to stick in the old mounts, and the new mounts don't come with any.
Pain when you find them after everything is back together (ahem.............so I'm told :roll: )
Rear is pretty simple to do, once you know how the parcel shelf and support trays come out.
[/quote]

Yeah rears look pretty straight forwards actually from what iv seen its really the spring compression bit at the front which I might struggle with. Think the rear springs were replaced just before I got the car (cracked springs) but iv always felt it rides very high at the rear compared the the front so was thinking of dropping 30mm on eibachs to even things out a little - perhaps its just me!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:11 pm

JamesClements wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm
bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm James always welcome over here if you want collective support doing it!!
Thanks Stuart - might take you up on that don't think you are too far from me - you most have the most understanding Mrs in the world the amount of Zeds turning up on your drive! :rofl:
Aye I guess I'm blessed there

EWS Delete PM me

Brouse

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by Brouse » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:06 pm

Can 100% vouch for the Bilstein B4/Suplex Springs combo, really impressed.
2006 Sapphire Black E86

skelters

E85 Suspension Refresh

Post by skelters » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 pm

I replaced mine last year with the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit along with new top mounts.

Something like 30mm lower than sport suspension.

Well worth the money and a transformation from the worn out originals on the car.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!