Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Backbox delete & central locking

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ace22

Post by Ace22 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:13 pm

First post as a newbie to a z4!

Recently bought a 2003 z4 2.5 as a toy and want a bit more noise!
What is the benefit of having the backbox delete over having a sports exhaust fitted?

Also when unlocking drivers side with key (remote doesn’t work) the passenger side doesn’t unlock, You have to reach over as it doesn’t unlock off the console button either. But the key does lock it when locking the car. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance 😁

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

If you want a "bit more noise" I don't think you would want a back-box delete. I've heard a 3.0Si with the delete and it's bl**dy loud!

Your central locking certainly shouldn't be like that. At a guess I think your GM5 central locking control unit may be at fault, but hopefully someone more technically minded will be able to offer some advice.

And we do like to see photos of new members' cars.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

poss

Post by poss » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Ace22 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:13 pm Also when unlocking drivers side with key (remote doesn’t work) the passenger side doesn’t unlock, You have to reach over as it doesn’t unlock off the console button either. But the key does lock it when locking the car. Is that normal?
It's normal for my car at least :D - I have the same problem - tho sometimes my remote will open both doors, indicating it's the GM5 relay on the way out, but someone else suggested battery. Will wait for mine to fail again and try it with engine on. Have already ordered replacement relays in any case.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:17 am

This might help as both sound like a GM5 problem viewtopic.php?t=102586
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Jamesbradbury

Post by Jamesbradbury » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:19 pm

I've got a backbox delete on my 3.0i 2003 and it depends what driving you will be doing. I only drive mine in good weather with the roof down generally and its very loud especially in urban areas where the noise reflects off buildings. Where it struggles is big mountain roads, driving a 156gta sounds good where mine just sounds loud. Whenever I drive long distance/motorways I wear noise cancelling headphones because you can't really hear music otherwise.

I'm thinking of getting a custom exhaust now I won't lie just because I want to get more out of the car but I definitely enjoyed the delete over summer. I'm 22 and a bit of a yob so that might give you a better insight.