Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking / side lights indicator light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:54 pm

I don't know about the solid indicator but my 3 Series passed an MOT in September with the amber bulb error on the dash. It was one of the tail-lights on the boot lid but the one in the light cluster in the rear wing was working and you only need one!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Gollom122

Post by Gollom122 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:59 pm

Well the error on the dash was concerning me most about the mot and you have confirmed what I read which is that the dash must correctly display the information ( that you are signalling a turn, have your lights on etc) I read that the likes of tpms errors are acceptable.
Cheers

Gollom122

Post by Gollom122 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 pm

So the plot thickens.
My sonar headlights apparently used to have an eyebrow which was powered on the same source as the angel eyes wired to the sidelight switch. Mine have wires cut. So allegedly when the eyebrow is connected these lights would be error free but lots of people didn’t like the eyebrow strip so removed them.
I am contemplating wiring this back up and adding a w5w 501 lamp back into the light or alternatively I have found w5w load resistors to try.
In the meantime I have put the bumper back on so I can drive the car for a while so it may be some time before I test this.
Chris D - if yours are the same you could try, or have a good look at the top of the cluster as this bulb may be your culprit.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm

Gollom122 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 pm Chris D - if yours are the same you could try, or have a good look at the top of the cluster as this bulb may be your culprit.
My headlights are stock xenons fella.
I'm pretty sure it was due to the dodgy Chung Fang Dung LED sidelights I had in there causing the issue.
Replacing the old original halogens didn't resolve it so I'm going to throw in some new halogen sidelights this weekend while I swap in the winter wheels if I have time and see if that fixes it.
It's no biggie, as like yours the indicator solid stops when I use the headlights.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:21 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm I'm pretty sure it was due to the dodgy Chung Fang Dung LED sidelights I had in there causing the issue.
Any LEDs without resistors ("CANBUS compatible" just means they have them and about 4 W of heat to dissipate too...) will do it. If you want to used LEDs just code out the checks :)
I've had OSRAM and Philips for at least 7 years with no dramas, I'm sure filaments would have needed swapping out at least once by now.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.