Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Finally got the Zed, but the doors won't open!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:26 am

So after a month of waiting for COVID border restrictions to lift, I finally got to fly down to Melbourne to pick up my Merlot 3.0i 6 speed manual - except neither the remote access or central locking button would unlock the car doors.

Key in drivers door lock works thank God but there is no key entry on passenger side ffs! - so you have to climb across from the driver's side to open the passenger door using the door latch - except that doesn't f'ing work either!

..And the driver's door doesn't open from the inside either - so I'm trapped!

Several attempts later and the door handle finally works and I can escape this man trap.

There is clearly something wrong with the module controlling central locking - the remote is fine as the indicators blink when I press any remote button, and the car locks and boot opens perfectly (just won't unlock - what a joke!)

But the door handles not reliably opening the doors??? What kind of crap design is that!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 am

Sounds like a GM5 module error- not sure what options you have in Aus but in UK we can get them rebuilt with new relays?

google E85 GM5 issues for background/info
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 am Sounds like a GM5 module error- not sure what options you have in Aus but in UK we can get them rebuilt with new relays?

Thanks - I've read about that issue on the M3 forum - so same module as in an E46? If so, I can fix myself if I can source the relays

But what's the story with the internal door handles not working ? I have to try them at least twice for the door to open

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 am

that will be a stretched bowden cable

Simple ish fix I did a write up on here, search the how to section- sounds like you are handy enough to sort!

Good luck if you get stuck shout up
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:35 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 am Sounds like a GM5 module error
Found the relevant relays and ordered 4 from Germany on EBay - 2 spare for the M3 just in case - (hopefully they're genuine or at least decent replacements - lotsa Chinese knockoffs for these relays)

Thanks again!

poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:39 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:58 am that will be a stretched bowden cable
Bowden obviously has a lot to answer for. Thanks, will do a search as you suggested.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:04 pm

:thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:01 pm

How's the battery? if it's at all old I'd change that first as you'll need to at some point.
3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:46 pm

Sticks wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:01 pm How's the battery? if it's at all old I'd change that first as you'll need to at some point.
Good point - I'll check the voltage. It probably needs replacing as having the sound system on when it wasn't running quickly drained the battery - requiring a jump start

poss

Post by poss » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:39 pm

However, if it were the battery then why does locking work but unlocking doesn't? That appears to be a classic GM5 relay tell-tale sign

I guess I can confirm by starting the car and testing it when its running

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:54 am

bigwinn wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 am Sounds like a GM5 module error- not sure what options you have in Aus but in UK we can get them rebuilt with new relays?

Thanks - I thought the lock actuators on both doors were iffy but this makes a lot more sense.

I really didn't want to strip the doors down, so easier, too!

Jl-c

Post by Jl-c » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 pm

If you have to try the interior handles twice that is how it is designed to be if you have set the car to lock as you start moving. Come to a halt, first pull unlocks the door, second pull opens it. Sounds as if you have loads of issues but the BMW double pull on interior handles is not one ! :)
Ex E86 Z4 3.0si coupé facelift blue now Z'less
Porsche 997 C2S black-gone-, Mazda Eunos 1.8 yellow-gone-, Audi S4 Avant v6 Quattro 3.0 supercharged red-gone. Abarth 500 red. Abarth 124 Spider GT black. Porsche Cayenne red.

poss

Post by poss » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:57 pm

Jl-c wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:38 pm If you have to try the interior handles twice that is how it is designed to be if you have set the car to lock as you start moving. Come to a halt, first pull unlocks the door, second pull opens it. Sounds as if you have loads of issues but the BMW double pull on interior handles is not one ! :)
Yes - will have to uncode that annoying feature.

I just got a new battery - which did not resolve the issue with remote unlock only working intermittently - so its the GM5