Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

No hot air on passenger side

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
mark50

Post by mark50 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Just noticed due to the cold weather that i have hot air on the drivers side (when selected) but cold/warm air at best on the passenger side.

Spent the day on my hands and knees investigating - anybody had the same problem and managed to fix it ?

Using Inpa the "Actuator drive, air mixture flap" looks abit hit and miss but not sure if this would be the culprit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:17 pm

Common problem and no simple/easy solution.
I've had this for 6 years and have learned to live with it. Well, at least my passengers have. :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mark50

Post by mark50 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:01 pm

Not sure if my ocd can cope with it :| Found myself a second hand heater so watch this space lol

Wjkullmann

Post by Wjkullmann » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:20 am

I just noticed that I have the same problem. 2004 E85. Heat comes out the driver side vents (top and floor) but the passenger side (top and floor) has outside air. I did a quick check and found nothing obvious. I'm hoping someone knows what the problem is.

mark50

Post by mark50 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am

Think its the heater matrix that needs bleeding - from looking at the spare heater i got and checking mine everything seams to be in working order. I flushed the heater matrix with my jet wash backwards and forwards. While putting the front end on ramps i carried out the bleeding procedure and hey presto i have hot air on both sides. The heater matrix is the highest point in the cooling system so thats were the air ends up. I think one side gets blocked hense hot air on one side.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 am

mark50 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am Think its the heater matrix that needs bleeding - from looking at the spare heater i got and checking mine everything seams to be in working order. I flushed the heater matrix with my jet wash backwards and forwards. While putting the front end on ramps i carried out the bleeding procedure and hey presto i have hot air on both sides. The heater matrix is the highest point in the cooling system so thats were the air ends up. I think one side gets blocked hense hot air on one side.
Well if that has truly fixed it then Chris_D has lost his excuse and needs to get out there and sort his! :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 am
mark50 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am Think its the heater matrix that needs bleeding - from looking at the spare heater i got and checking mine everything seams to be in working order. I flushed the heater matrix with my jet wash backwards and forwards. While putting the front end on ramps i carried out the bleeding procedure and hey presto i have hot air on both sides. The heater matrix is the highest point in the cooling system so thats were the air ends up. I think one side gets blocked hense hot air on one side.
Well if that has truly fixed it then Chris_D has lost his excuse and needs to get out there and sort his! :poke: :D
I can't right now. I'm currently 450km away from home in Hamburg overseeing a factory acceptance test of my new invention; 'The Idiocyconverter5000'. The working principle is that idiots are fed in that manway on the large tank and then some magic processes take place and the objective is that nice, happy, smiling people come out the other end. I tried it out on myself a couple of times but strangely, it seems to have limited effect.
Maybe there are some here on the forum I could suggest giving it a try too... I have one or two candidates in mind. :P
IMG_0315_1_1.png
IMG_0315_1_1.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 830 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm I can't right now. I'm currently 450km away from home in Hamburg overseeing a factory acceptance test of my new invention; 'The Idiocyconverter5000'. The working principle is that idiots are fed in that manway on the large tank and then some magic processes take place and the objective is that nice, happy, smiling people come out the other end. I tried it out on myself a couple of times but strangely, it seems to have limited effect.
Maybe there are some here on the forum I could suggest giving it a try too... I have one or two candidates in mind. :P
Have a care sir! Offence may be taken.
Talking of which, is that you nearest the camera?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:12 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:53 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:02 pm I can't right now. I'm currently 450km away from home in Hamburg overseeing a factory acceptance test of my new invention; 'The Idiocyconverter5000'. The working principle is that idiots are fed in that manway on the large tank and then some magic processes take place and the objective is that nice, happy, smiling people come out the other end. I tried it out on myself a couple of times but strangely, it seems to have limited effect.
If I'm taking the photo, I can't be in the photo. :lol:
I still have a bit more colour in my hair than that guy thankfully and he's younger than me! 8)
I think his hair's turned white from all the accidents and near misses they've had in that factory. Ze Germuns aren't necessarily always on the ball with their reputation for accuracy, precision and safety. :evil:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:12 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:53 pm
If I'm taking the photo, I can't be in the photo. :lol:
I still have a bit more colour in my hair than that guy thankfully and he's younger than me! 8)
I think his hair's turned white from all the accidents and near misses they've had in that factory. Ze Germuns aren't necessarily always on the ball with their reputation for accuracy, precision and safety. :evil:
As proven by several engineering faux pax on the beloved e85

:rofl:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:52 pm

mark50 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:04 pm Just noticed due to the cold weather that i have hot air on the drivers side (when selected) but cold/warm air at best on the passenger side.
Only hot air on passenger side when I am driving too fast :D
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 am

mark50 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:01 pm Not sure if my ocd can cope with it :| Found myself a second hand heater so watch this space lol
Have the same problem
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Wjkullmann

Post by Wjkullmann » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:44 am

I had the cooling system flushed and that seemed to fix it. I guess it had an air pocket in it.