Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Has anyone else noticedcthis?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:47 pm

Ive been driving the zed a lot more now on the twisties and also on the motorway and have noticed that the engine oil temp (N20) seems to fluctuate far more than it did when my driving was confined to pootling around the streets of East London.

It seems to fluctuate from around 90 degrees to 115 - ive never noticed this before (ive switchef fromthe usual fuel to the 97/99 RON as the zed seems to like it more on the twisties. The X3 on the other hand gets to operating temp and stays there.

Does anyone elses zed have temp fluctuations like this?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 pm

The N20 engine has a very sophisticated heat management system

It changes the temperature of the cooling system based on whether you are ‘poodling’ or are ‘hooning’ :tumbleweed:

Hotter temperatures for best environmental factors, cooler to protect the engine when ‘hooning’.. :driving:
:thumbsup:
‘They all do that sir’
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Jasonn

Post by Jasonn » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks for that - its a relief to hear that it's normal

All this high tech gadgetry - I'm an analog man in a digital world

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Jasonn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:10 pm Thanks for that - its a relief to hear that it's normal

All this high tech gadgetry - I'm an analog man in a digital world
I was out of the car technology world for about 25 years…came back to it in 2017..studying a 2012 MY car..I was shocked at just how much computer integration there was..and that’s from someone in the IT business since 1978.. :tumbleweed:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..