Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vanos rebuild

"M" Specific discussion
Argenta

Vanos rebuild

Post by Argenta » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:54 pm

YO!

What's the general consesus on the best place to get all the parts for the S54 Vanos..?

maupineda

Vanos rebuild

Post by maupineda » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:24 pm

It may change based on your region, but Beisan systems would be my choice for seals. About the pump disc, make sure you have yours re-drilled so you keep yours. also, a couple of words of advise

Make sure you...

1. Test VANOS with ISTA+ or DIS, if all is in spec DON'T mess with it
2. Check your VANOS pressure (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main ... sure-tests)

The VANOS thing is an overblown internet paranoia, only fix it if broken. Have a look at posts #16 and #31 on the link shared above so you can see my actual testing results

AndyBeech

Vanos rebuild

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:38 pm

maupineda wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:24 pm It may change based on your region, but Beisan systems would be my choice for seals. About the pump disc, make sure you have yours re-drilled so you keep yours. also, a couple of words of advise

Make sure you...

2. Check your VANOS pressure (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main ... sure-tests)

The VANOS thing is an overblown internet paranoia, only fix it if broken. Have a look at posts #16 and #31 on the link shared above so you can see my actual testing results
Interesting thread. Did you change the VANOS accumulator in the end and did it fix anything if so?

OP, if you’re taking it to a garage for the work most competent ones will be able to get the parts for you so wouldn’t worry about that. If you have to get them yourself either Besian or Hack Engineering or Mr Vanos can supply I believe.
Personal opinion if you can get to Mr Vanos for the work I’d do that, replaces the unit and you get a warranty, job done.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

Argenta

Vanos rebuild

Post by Argenta » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanx!
Well, mine has some tickover running issues, and rattles a little more than I like too. And now it's over 200000km's I could well do it over winter hibernation. Will compression-check too first.

maupineda

Vanos rebuild

Post by maupineda » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:12 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:38 pm
maupineda wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:24 pm It may change based on your region, but Beisan systems would be my choice for seals. About the pump disc, make sure you have yours re-drilled so you keep yours. also, a couple of words of advise

Make sure you...

Interesting thread. Did you change the VANOS accumulator in the end and did it fix anything if so?

OP, if you’re taking it to a garage for the work most competent ones will be able to get the parts for you so wouldn’t worry about that. If you have to get them yourself either Besian or Hack Engineering or Mr Vanos can supply I believe.
Personal opinion if you can get to Mr Vanos for the work I’d do that, replaces the unit and you get a warranty, job done.
I just bought the accumulator, and only because I know mine is not holding pressure any longer, but it does nothing to fix the pressure. In my case, I had to change the disc to fix my low-pressure issue. the issue was my pump disc, I had gotten a replica, ILO a re-drilled OE item. But again, if it ain't broke it...

Argenta

Vanos rebuild

Post by Argenta » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm

I will check those pressures - thank you!

Wassup

Vanos rebuild

Post by Wassup » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:01 am

Can vouch for the Beisans systems seals/rebuild kits having used them personally on the S54 and M54 engines over the years. Plus the Beisans systems website has a great detailed set of instructions, if you feel comfortable tackling it as a DIY project.
2008 Z4MR Ruby Black, Sepang Hell, Carbon Weave
2006 Z4 3.0si Montego Blue, Imola/Black individual
NCS/ISTA diagnostics & coding in Midlands - pm me