Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is an auto ok?

First port of call for new members
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm
Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
PDK is not a slushbox. it's a twin clutch. Slushbox is slang for a torque converter auto as far as I am aware. Just saying! :D :thumbsup: :P

OP. If the auto you are looking at is the same 6 speed ZF that's in my E92; it's a good auto. Quick changing and (in my E92 at least) in 'sport' or 'manual' it's pretty entertaining too IMO.
Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals. :wink:
That 0.2s is going to make all the difference beating Corsa-boy to the next set of lights :poke: :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:44 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:40 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals.
That depends on how quick your wrists are! My left is very quick (I am left handed) :P
You saying you're an auto-w***er? :?
Mind you.........lefthanded................always knew there was something 'sinister' about you. :poke:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

WouterZZZZ

Is an auto ok?

Post by WouterZZZZ » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Z4 E85 3.0si with ZF 6 speed auto, paddle shifts and Sport shifting too: she is soooo fast!!! And soooo much fun to drive. A full yes for an auto ‘is allowed’😃

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:22 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:42 pm Electronics will always be faster. Now of course, you’re going to tell me you’re a cyborg.
Nope I'm just a w***er :lol:
edit: 'nuff beat me to it (no pun intended) :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:44 pm Mind you.........lefthanded................always knew there was something 'sinister' about you.
Did you know that the top 6% intelligent people in the Country are left-handed? And there's also me :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:25 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:44 pm Mind you.........lefthanded................always knew there was something 'sinister' about you.
Did you know that the top 6% intelligent people in the Country are left-handed? And there's also me :D
Yup, I agree. Actually got my Mensa certificate somewhere........... but then I found out Prince Charles was too......dammit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:44 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 pm Yup, I agree. Actually got my Mensa certificate somewhere
My dad was a member of Mensa. Unfortunately I take after my mother (thick as a brick) :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:47 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:44 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 pm Yup, I agree. Actually got my Mensa certificate somewhere
My dad was a member of Mensa. Unfortunately I take after my mother (thick as a brick) :D
Just remember that intelligence has no correlation whatsoever to common sense!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:47 pm Just remember that intelligence has no correlation whatsoever to common sense!
Well aware. I know several teachers! :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Is an auto ok?

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:11 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:42 pm
Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:40 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals.
That depends on how quick your wrists are! My left is very quick (I am left handed) :P
Electronics will always be faster. Now of course, you’re going to tell me you’re a cyborg. :lol:
Droning lecture mode on..

On the E89 there is the perfect illustration of both the benefit of the auto box and how the 8HP box bettered the 6HP box.

The 28i has the 8HP box and is faster than the manual in the dash to 60..

The 30i has the 6HP and is slower than the manual in the dash to 60.

As others said you can now adapt the 6HP to shift quicker (100ms vs 600ms).

They are not slush boxes as technically they lock up once underway..a slush box constantly endures torque converter slip.

So no shame on the 6HP box, especially with a low cost software tweak :thumbsup:

Droning lecture mode off
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Is an auto ok?

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:27 pm

I grew up with manual gearboxes to the extent I've only had 4 Autos in 45 years, and they were definitely all sluggish slushboxes!

I only had those because finding manuals in those cars was pretty much impossible. The last was a 1994 Mercedes C280 with a 4 speed auto. :oops:

Trying a newer auto may well be a revelation, but Ms were all manuals anyway! :)

And I am left-handed. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Silverstar

Is an auto ok?

Post by Silverstar » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:27 pm The last was a 1994 Mercedes C280 with a 4 speed auto.
A Mercedes especially from that era with a manual box were even worse. The auto box was definitely better suited to the Mercedes hence why you found in almost impossible to find that car in a manual. In fact in the trade most refused to buy a manual Mercedes as they would be hard to shift. Mercedes auto boxes were not anywhere close to the performance of the switchable, steptronic and other iterations of auto boxes that BMW had.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Ian J

Is an auto ok?

Post by Ian J » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:11 am

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm
Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
Most men think that they are better at changing gear than an autobox much as they all think that they are good in bed, whereas the truth is somewhat different

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 am

Ian J wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:11 am
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm
Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
Most men think that they are better at changing gear than an autobox much as they all think that they are good in bed, whereas the truth is somewhat different
Sorry, bit slow to reply as the wife kept me in bed. :roll:
Having grown up with manuals I guess there is an element of muscle memory, old dogs/new tricks etc, but I cannot for the life of me get round a corner in what I consider to be an effective manner in a standard auto.
In my manual E89: braking done early, select the right gear, constant throttle in and accelerate out.
With ye olde worlde auto box in wifey's 2.5i I never feel it's right. Get to the apex and the car says 'oh, you want this gear do you, ok, give me a sec..."
With the more modern autos (as in my new shape 1-series) I simply flappy paddle it down a gear and away we go.
The missus, on the other hand has driven autos for years and she seems much more at home with it. Brake early, then start driving before the bend so the box has changed down already.
So a lot of it comes down to driving styles, type of driving experience, ability to adapt (willingness to adapt!).

To answer the OPs initial question then, there is nothing inherently right or wrong about either a manual or auto box.
I'd dare to suggest that in the real world the slightly quicker 0-62mph with the modern auto only really makes itself felt at the bar.

OP, you will need to drive both types and see which suits you best I think, but in the knowledge that whichever you choose it is neither the right nor the wrong decision.

Kdawg1

Is an auto ok?

Post by Kdawg1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks guys and gurls :)

Sounds advice - all be it very 50/50 lol….

Think I’m going to head down the auto route :) I’m bot planning of red lining sideways all the time so I’m sure an auto would suit a bit more of a cruising lifestyle.

Sure they’ll be more questions if the future (like how to swap an auto box for a manual) 😜