Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is an auto ok?

First port of call for new members
Kdawg1

Is an auto ok?

Post by Kdawg1 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi,

Newbie here - I’m thinking of getting a 3.0 coupe and have worked out a deal with someone but it’s an auto….

I’m not a major petrol head but have always had manuals and the thought of a dodgy auto changing when I don’t want it too is the only thing putting me off.

Anyone else been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance

GasheadIan

Is an auto ok?

Post by GasheadIan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi
I have an auto 3.0 post facelift roadster and have had it for 8 years which says it all and it’s staying
You will end up with more powerfull 3.0si engine than mine and 6 speed auto
With option to put it in either fully auto or manual selection gears and with sport button engaged I have not found it wanting massively unless you are following more powerful M or Alpina z4
It does also give you two cars in one , easy cruiser or more focused car
Many on here will not look at a auto but I would try it, especially if you are not a die hard petrol head. It may suit you perfectly they are easy to live with
Bristol ,England - E85 3.0 SE stubby aerial

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Wifey drives a pre-facelift 2.5i auto (M54) and loves it. As said, podge the Sport button and wakey wakey!
I just recently picked up a 3.0i auto. Only driven it back to Norfolk from Aylesbury, but that too was a fun car to drive.
Seems to use a little more fuel than manual, but that may just be me.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:16 pm

Discussed about a thousand times in here if you do a search.. Easy answer is nowt wrong with an auto, many like or even prefer them.. Others don't.. Test drive both and see what you prefer :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Rucky

Is an auto ok?

Post by Rucky » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:08 pm

3.0si with 6 speed auto and paddle shift too!
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Ian J

Is an auto ok?

Post by Ian J » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:04 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:16 pm Easy answer is nowt wrong with an auto, many like or even prefer them.. Others don't.. Test drive both and see what you prefer :thumbsup:
My last dozen cars have been autos and I wouldn't drive anything else as I don't see the point of manual cars any more.

I'm not sure that a test drive will be of much use as it takes a few days to get used to an auto box if you've never driven one before

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Nanu » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:44 pm

It's horses for courses. Some on here will swear blind that autos are the best (Like me cos they are the best :poke: ) others wouldn't touch them. Neither are right and neither are wrong. Have a test drive and go with what you feel is right for you.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

poss

Is an auto ok?

Post by poss » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:04 pm

Kdawg1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm I’m not a major petrol head but have always had manuals and the thought of a dodgy auto changing when I don’t want it too is the only thing putting me off.
Got rid of the auto (not a Z) for a manual Z for that reason, and even when the auto is in 'manual' mode' there's a delay in changing and that general feel of a slushbox sapping power. Also you don't get the compression braking you do in a manual. Autos are great for traffic/puttering around town, but this is a sportscar - so there's only one real option :-)

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:11 pm

poss wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:04 pm
Kdawg1 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:42 pm I’m not a major petrol head but have always had manuals and the thought of a dodgy auto changing when I don’t want it too is the only thing putting me off.
Got rid of the auto (not a Z) for a manual Z for that reason, and even when the auto is in 'manual' mode' there's a delay in changing and that general feel of a slushbox sapping power. Also you don't get the compression braking you do in a manual. Autos are great for traffic/puttering around town, but this is a sportscar - so there's only one real option :-)
Yes there's only one real option, thats why bmw made it with 3 :roll:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm

poss wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:04 pm
Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
PDK is not a slushbox. it's a twin clutch. Slushbox is slang for a torque converter auto as far as I am aware. Just saying! :D :thumbsup: :P

OP. If the auto you are looking at is the same 6 speed ZF that's in my E92; it's a good auto. Quick changing and (in my E92 at least) in 'sport' or 'manual' it's pretty entertaining too IMO.
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Silverstar

Is an auto ok?

Post by Silverstar » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:30 pm

I think it very much depends on the car. Some cars are better with an auto box and some are better with a manual box. BMW makes some of the best sporting auto boxes (or at least their adaptation of the box to their cars) which are actually pretty damned good since well the switchable auto in the E30 325i which incidentally was my first automatic and every BMW bar one I have had since has been an auto.

BMWs especially with the larger engines I believe are better suited to the auto box, I have never really got on with manual boxes in larger engined BMWs. Not sure which auto is in the E85 / E86 but if it is the ZF 6 speed it can be tuned to eliminate much of the delay between shifts. This will be the next mod for my car.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:21 pm Strange how my 718 Boxster PDK was 0.2 seconds faster 0-62 than the manual is then, must be the slushbox making it faster.
PDK is not a slushbox. it's a twin clutch. Slushbox is slang for a torque converter auto as far as I am aware. Just saying! :D :thumbsup: :P

OP. If the auto you are looking at is the same 6 speed ZF that's in my E92; it's a good auto. Quick changing and (in my E92 at least) in 'sport' or 'manual' it's pretty entertaining too IMO.
Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals. :wink:

Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Pondrew » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:40 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals.
That depends on how quick your wrists are! My left is very quick (I am left handed) :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Is an auto ok?

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:40 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 pm Just making the point that modern "autos" are quicker than manuals.
That depends on how quick your wrists are! My left is very quick (I am left handed) :P
Electronics will always be faster. Now of course, you’re going to tell me you’re a cyborg. :lol:

Image Image