Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mystery Z4 speaker crackling

First port of call for new members
Johnny U

Post by Johnny U » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Hello All. I am a new member and have owned a 2014 2.0ltr M for 3 years now. Absolutely love the machine, particularly as I have had virtually 3 1/2 years trouble free and enjoyable motoring.
For about 6 months now though, I am experiencing a crackling sound from the speakers (with radio on and off) when the brakes are applied and more recently when the clutch is depressed (not so frequent though). Fortunately, when driving without any gear changing or braking there is no incidence of the crackle. It's really strange!
Any ideas before I go to the garage for what will probably be an expensive exploration into what is causing this?
Much obliged - Johnny U

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:21 pm

Your car is fitted with Active Sound Design (ASD)..

This is a DSP/amp that injects fake engine /exhaust noises into the speakers, whether the radio is turned on or off.

It sound like (pun) that you have a loose connection on a speaker (if it comes from one speaker) or if it comes from several speakers a poor connection somewhere near the ASD or maybe the amp..

Which audio system do you have?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Johnny U

Post by Johnny U » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Not sure which audio system - I'll check. thanks for the quick response and suggested cause.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:17 pm

Firstly, hello and welcome :thumbsup:

Completely stab in the dark here but I had something similar and it was a plug in usb Bluetooth adapter. It was actually the cigarette lighter accessory that the adapter was plugged into which was causing the interference. Changed it for a big brand one and had no further issues for the remaining time I had the car. Hope you get it sorted.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Johnny U

Post by Johnny U » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Thanks B21. the audio system is the BMW professional.
    The crackling comes from more than one speaker, so I guess, as you suggest, its an amp problem or something amiss with the ASD. Hopefully I can find somewhere, other than BMW, to get this fixed. No doubt they would charge a small fortune to investigate and repair.

Many thanks once again for your guidance - Johnny U

Johnny U

Post by Johnny U » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks Andy. I don't use a cigarette lighter accessory in the car, but thanks for the tip anyway. Interestingly, we had an issue using a cigarette lighter accessory on our motorhome, probably a cheapy, but which we don't use any more.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Johnny U wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:51 pm Thanks B21. the audio system is the BMW professional.
    The crackling comes from more than one speaker, so I guess, as you suggest, its an amp problem or something amiss with the ASD. Hopefully I can find somewhere, other than BMW, to get this fixed. No doubt they would charge a small fortune to investigate and repair.

Many thanks once again for your guidance - Johnny U
    Corrosion in a connector is my best guess..takes a bit of fiddling to get to the connectors unfortunately….
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Johnny U

Post by Johnny U » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:11 pm

Sounds like a distinct possibility. Many thanks 👍