Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i Track Weapon Build Thread

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi everyone,
thought id start a build thread seeing as this is progressing fast so would be nice to log it all and share.

To start with had a 35is few years back this year got caught on fire and then insurance done me over and gave me half the value of it.. so went out and purchased a 35i seeing as its mostly the same and I was going to build the car anyway.

End goal:
- Reliable track weapon
- Light as possible but still respectable (i.e with a dash and 2 seats and door some trim)
- 700 BHP

Swapped all my bits that survived over which currently as of 4/11/21 are:
I always try to carry out all the work myself on the car unless its something above my pay grade like an engine build.. Everything as it currently stands has been installed by me.

Suspension:
KW v3 coilovers
H&R front & rear ARB
Ultra racing rear under brace
Luxon engine brace

Brakes:
EBC yellow stuff front and rear
EBC standard rear discs
EBC uprated front discs
Hell braided lines
DOT4 brake fluid

Engine:
RB Metal PCV Valve
1 step colder spark plugs
PR race coils
Masata charge pipe
Masta inlet pipes (Not installed yet)
VRSF down pipes
Wagner evo II intercooler
BMS DCI
BMS oil catch can
Eisenmann dual 90 full exhaust

Body:
Carbon side skirt extensions
Carbon mirror caps
Msport rear bumper
Carbon rear bumper diffuser
Carbon boot lip spoiler
Seibon Carbon GT wing
LCI LED head light retrofit
LCI indications (sprayed black)
Idrive retrofit
Heated Msport red leather seats retrofit

Other:
35is Speedo
Spacers on front and rear
OEM 19" staggered 326 wheels
PS4 tyres all around
Naviks multimedia box
Front & Reverse Camera
Stubby aerial
Wheel stud conversion
Cruise control retrofit
Smart top module

I'm sure theres other bits and bobs I'll remember at some point...
Last edited by huseyin88 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z35is: RIP car fire :(
Z4 35i: Weekend / Track Weapon

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/bhp_life/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpkOR9 ... lRroPHiL1A
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?p=1880786#p1880786

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Welcome, as you might have seen, I’m on a more modest parallel track..

My goal is a competent road oriented good handling more powerful version of a 35is with emphasis on coping with the varied Scottish terrain..

Enjoy your journey…

viewtopic.php?t=131886
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:06 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm Welcome, as you might have seen, I’m on a more modest parallel track..

My goal is a competent road oriented good handling more powerful version of a 35is with emphasis on coping with the varied Scottish terrain..

Enjoy your journey…

viewtopic.php?t=131886
Yeop I was actually looking just looking at your build now :rofl:

i didnt even know about those bimmerworld bearings you used on page4 so will be ordering some of those. i think i bought some black stuff to push in to mine but changing that now as they look far better.

the other bearings you use show up as rears for a e90?? "13209 01" where did you use those?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 pm

huseyin88 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:06 pm
B21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:39 pm Welcome, as you might have seen, I’m on a more modest parallel track..

Enjoy your journey…

viewtopic.php?t=131886

i didnt even know about those bimmerworld bearings you used on page4 so will be ordering some of those. i think i bought some black stuff to push in to mine but changing that now as they look far better.

the other bearings you use show up as rears for a e90?? "13209 01" where did you use those?
Rear trailing arms on the rear end..those bushes :thumbsup:

Will be interested to see you get to 700 BHP just on UK fuels..

Most of the bug numbers come from ethanol mixes and/or meths/water?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:27 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:19 pm
huseyin88 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Enjoy your journey…

viewtopic.php?t=131886

Rear trailing arms on the rear end..those bushes :thumbsup:

Will be interested to see you get to 700 BHP just on UK fuels..

Most of the bug numbers come from ethanol mixes and/or meths/water?
Likewise i'll be watching yours and probably learning something new every page... im not a mechanic or anything so lots to learn in this sphere..

hmm didnt even know any e90 parts fitted our e89's thought it was more E46 at the back and E9X front..
well learn something new everyyyy day :D two for me today ahah!

hoping i dont have to do meth or any mixes... tbh even if i get 600 on pump i'd be happy

yeah the 700bhp on uk fuels maybe be hard but still want to try get as close as possible.. with weight down as much as possible will make a huge impact

Its a big ask but I'm looking at the Porsche 911 GT2 RS as a bench mark for weight power and few other bench mark so have something to compare with
Seen a few on my last few track days and lets just say they destroyed everything including caterhams in their path... :cry: :cry:
Last edited by huseyin88 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:27 pm

Current Project Items:
1. Resolve Track Limp Mode
2. Identify Proper Brake Options

Limp Mode:
Seems like its caused by overheating possible the DCT.
Looked at the SSP kit but only been tested to 500ish bhp in a hot climate.. so not sure that would still do the job for a 700bhp machine..

Only other build i can see in that range is Soofys GT3 replica build.
I'm also considering going pure turbos stage 2, he used a bunch of CSF gear, Rad, dct cooler from E9X and a universal one for engine oil.
Could use that but not so keen with the entire front end being blocked by other coolers seen a few guys across the pond (in the US) who run 700 and sometimes more but seem to not have many issues after a FMIC and a oil cooler..
So i am wondering if the CSF line up will really do the trick.. If so i would probably do the 3 (Rad, E9X DCT cooler modified to fit) and a universal engine oil cooler to cool the oil down more. Plus the mosselman 85c thermostat upgrade in one go but reluctantly due to 2 of the coolers then blocking the rad...

Regarding Brakes:
looking at swapping to a e9X m3 Hub as ive heard it bolts up but not sure about suspension strut sizes. if they will work with my current struts will go ahead and then opt for something like the AP racing CP9690 callipers with 2 piece discs which makes everything a lot easier up front.

However rears.. not sure about yet due to the electronic brake

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:33 pm

You can work out what is causing the limp mode by scanning for error codes. You don't want to start modding to that power level without having something to read errors.

For the DCT you should be fine at that power level provided you aren't using any sort of piggyback like a JB4. xHP would be a better investment over clutch packs, it'll increase the line pressure to prevent the clutches slipping.

huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:53 pm

I generally use carley and BMW pro tools for codes on my phone with inpa/ispa on a laptop for when im at home.

Considering purchasing the MHD logging before Donnington on 9/12/2021 as that may help things..

I've seen codes come up for boost solenoid issues but then others saying that its normal on a stage 2+ map on MHD... so not sure.. have you heard anything previously from anyone of them failing and causing limp modes?

Regardless will need the cooling anyway so planning to tackle that first and then continue to digress more in to it.

Havent come across xhp before, seems like something similar to MHD form what i can see? does it have any benefits over MHD?

Regarding clutch packs haven't looked much in to them but noted for when the time comes :)
Otherwise looking at mtech flywheel or a 35is one as its lighter than the 35i one when addressing those areas in one go.

Just found some articles from "Asbjorn" on z post about the csf rads.. not being sufficient on their own.. i know hes done a lot of good work on his build so may consider looking in to that as well.

huseyin88

Post by huseyin88 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Codes i got:

002EF7 - Map-controlled thermostat
0029E1 - Mixture control 2
0030FE - Boost pressure control, boost pressure too high
003100 boost pressure control, shutdown
0029E0 - Mixture control
002A87 - Outlet Vanos

However switching car off then on, driving around normal speeds and road use codes all disappear even under spirited driving.
Once temps get up and track driving conditions after about 2-3 hard laps all pops back...

Which is why I'm considering getting on with cooling first then seeing if this all happens again, if it does then will look at possibly replacing boost solenoids for example.. but if engine is cool or slightly warm and drive hard... all is fine..

Anyone who can shed some light or experience with any of the above would greatly be appreciated :cry:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:52 pm

If you can keep a double the bhp 35is out of the kitty litter on track you're a better man than me my friend...! :lol:

Reminds me of the RS 500 touring cars, too much shove at 560hp for the chassis even with a heavily modified rear beam and on slicks etc, they were all over the place.

Good luck if you go ahead, I'd def come and watch. :thumbsup: :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 pm

huseyin88 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:53 pm I generally use carley and BMW pro tools for codes on my phone with inpa/ispa on a laptop for when im at home.

Considering purchasing the MHD logging before Donnington on 9/12/2021 as that may help things..

I've seen codes come up for boost solenoid issues but then others saying that its normal on a stage 2+ map on MHD... so not sure.. have you heard anything previously from anyone of them failing and causing limp modes?

Regardless will need the cooling anyway so planning to tackle that first and then continue to digress more in to it.

Havent come across xhp before, seems like something similar to MHD form what i can see? does it have any benefits over MHD?

Regarding clutch packs haven't looked much in to them but noted for when the time comes :)
Otherwise looking at mtech flywheel or a 35is one as its lighter than the 35i one when addressing those areas in one go.

Just found some articles from "Asbjorn" on z post about the csf rads.. not being sufficient on their own.. i know hes done a lot of good work on his build so may consider looking in to that as well.
xHP is for the transmission, MHD is for the engine.

Without data logging it's hard to tell if the codes are related to bad boost solenoids or just the map controlling boost poorly.
The VANOS code would worry me though, those can be caused by the cam ledges wearing down. Mixture control can also be an indicator of fuel problems like bad injectors.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:02 pm

How old / how many miles has the base car done?

Miyli

Post by Miyli » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:06 pm

I have 534 hp and drive a lot on the track and there are no problems with the dtc. An additional engine oil cooler has been added and as an oil I use a VR1 Racing 5W50.
BMW Z4 g29 m-sport Alpinweiss 3

Previous BMW Z4 35i DCT M-Sport Alpinweiss 3 :driving:
534hp / 803Nm (592 lb/ft) :thumbsup:
Hybrid turbos, MHD Custon E85 software, Xhp, DP, FMIC, DCI, Chargerpipe,

Previous E92 n54 335ia 600hp :rofl:

Miyli

Post by Miyli » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:13 pm

sorry came 3 times :headbang:
BMW Z4 g29 m-sport Alpinweiss 3

Previous BMW Z4 35i DCT M-Sport Alpinweiss 3 :driving:
534hp / 803Nm (592 lb/ft) :thumbsup:
Hybrid turbos, MHD Custon E85 software, Xhp, DP, FMIC, DCI, Chargerpipe,

Previous E92 n54 335ia 600hp :rofl:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:18 pm

You can just delete them..unless someone has commented :headbang: :tumbleweed: :rofl: