Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Seats and legroom

First port of call for new members
MikeO2

Seats and legroom

Post by MikeO2 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:31 pm

As a once (and hopefully soon) future owner of an E85 Z4, I'm looking for a bit of advice on seats and legroom. My earlier car was a 2.0 SE (seats with separate head rests) and I could just about fit in it with the seat pushed back and down as far as it would go. I've just had a test drive in a very smart 2.5 with M seats (integrated head rests) & it felt like it had an inch or so less legroom - gutted! Is this operator error or is there really less legroom in cars with M seats?

DMike

Seats and legroom

Post by DMike » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:34 pm

I swapped seats and didn’t notice any difference in legroom. The M seats are a bit lower and and the seat pan tilts backwards resulting in somewhat flexed knees, but the effect is minimal. Seat back position certainly has more impact - when upright, the seat can travel backwards more, and when reclining to avoid wind buffeting those chilly mornings, legroom is compromised. Tend to have three programmed seat positions, i.e. spirited, normal and drowsy relaxed :roll:
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

darkwheels

Seats and legroom

Post by darkwheels » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:13 pm

There's so much adjustment in seating position now, it takes some experimentation to find your individual sweet spot.

DMIke is right about getting the seat back more upright to get the seat back further in the car.

IMO lower isn't alway better. I'm tall, but perhaps moreso in my legs, so low doesn't always help. In fact I've placed spacers under the front of the seat runners in some cars to cant and support my knees, if that makes sense. I've just done so on my recently purchased Z, even though it has the Sport seats with the tiltable base.

NB Mine's an E86 so I guess will have the same legroom and I bought it off a chap taller than me who complained of E85 headroom :) For reference I'm about 6'1" and habitually wear safety boots :)

MikeO2

Seats and legroom

Post by MikeO2 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:09 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think you're both right - and that I didn't take enough time to play around with the settings before I took it out for the test drive... I'll know better next time!

Roberltd2

Seats and legroom

Post by Roberltd2 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:33 pm

After I had bought my E85, I started to notice my left knee was always knocking the dash every time I changed gear. Same seat type as you mentioned. I was seriously considering finding ways of cutting out part of the dash when I discovered that the front of the seat could be lowered. Problem solved. Happy days :thumbsup:
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue.
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - sold and now undergoing restoration.
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.