Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Back to the drawing board 😟

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Fresno82

Post by Fresno82 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi all,

Went to see a potentially perfect car yesterday as a private sale, told the seller I wanted to buy it (as soon as his plate transfer comes through) and spent over £200 on an AA inspection. He's messaged me today saying he now isn't selling the car due to personal circumstances :headbang:

I went all the way from North Manchester to see it in London so am really annoyed that I've wasted an entire weekend. The only silver lining is that it was advertised as having heated seats but didn't actually have them so I might actually get one with them now :D

I'm now back in the market for a 35is so let me know if you know of any for sale. Bit of a rollercoaster this!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:01 pm

Did you put a deposit on the car?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:03 pm

Also, did you suggest he might like to make a ££ contribution to your inspection costs and travel expenses. Would seem a reasonable request under the circumstances.

Fresno82

Post by Fresno82 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi, I didn't put down a deposit but had said I have the cash ready to pick the car up as soon as the plate transfer comes through.
When I got there he told me that he had spent £200 on a new battery and that would be added on the price which didn't sit right with me. Was a beautiful car though :(

Here is the link to avoid anyone else wasting time: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... obcid=soc5

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:17 pm

I'd be asking him why it's still up for sale, don't think you have any chance of any contribution to your costs but worth asking and subtly pointing out you know where he lives. :wink:

Image Image

Fresno82

Post by Fresno82 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:23 pm

He originally listed it for £22k and then dropped it to £18k. He mentioned yesterday that he has had others interested in the car and want going to 'pressure me for a deposit, but wanted to be transparent'. I suspect it will be relisted at a higher price.

He's just messaged me saying he won't cover or even contribute to my costs 'as in any sale both parties retain the right to not proceed. I made you aware of my decision as soon as I could to allow you to cancel your inspection and I am sure this can be done as we did not agree on any specific day for the mechanic to come.'

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:28 pm

Message him back, "Ok cool, now can you just confirm this is your correct address?" :evil:

Image Image

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:29 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:17 pm ...and subtly pointing out you know where he lives. :wink:
If that's not a suggestion to impart a veiled threat I don't know what is! :lol:
It reminds me of the veiled threat Mr Tickle from Mr Tickle's sweet shop used to shout after me and my brother when we were nippers for sneaking extra gobstoppers out of the vending machine outside his shop; 'I know where yuuz live ye little bastids!'
I took great pleasure in reminding my brother of my more efficient getaway speed by virtue of having a larger back wheel and 3 gears on my Raleigh Chopper compared to his Budgie.
:evil: :rofl:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:29 pm

Has the inspection not taken place then? If so you should get a refund or at very least, be able to use it against another car.

Image Image

Fresno82

Post by Fresno82 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:32 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:29 pm Has the inspection not taken place then? If so you should get a refund or at very least, be able to use it against another car.
Nope, not happened yet. I booked it last night (in the break of my five hour drive home :headbang: ) and let him know it's booked and the AA would be in touch with him to book an inspection. Hopefully can get a refund but they are closed today

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:52 pm

Fresno82 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:32 pm Nope, not happened yet. I booked it last night (in the break of my five hour drive home ) and let him know it's booked and the AA would be in touch with him to book an inspection. Hopefully can get a refund but they are closed today
You should be able to get a refund (you definitely can with the RAC equivalent).
You also have a PM
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:19 pm

Hopefully you will get a refund, but goes to show you have to pay for everything with BMW... top of the range car with no heated seats! And regards the battery, Id would have told him to do one, sounds like you've been told some fairy stories especially as its still up for sale. Selling one of my Jags it had a flat battery on day of collection and so I went and got a new battery and told the new owner, I didn't then charge him. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this character.

Owdgit

Post by Owdgit » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:31 pm

Rix motors in Warrington have one, seems expensive to me, don't know what the garage reputation is like or if this price is sensible or even of any interest to you but here's a link either way :)

https://www.rixmotors.co.uk/search_page ... budgetmax=
I like to think I'm an optimist.

2010 Grey Z4 E89 N52 3.0 with stuff
2018 VW Arteon 2.0tsi daily workhorse
2020 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Fresno82

Post by Fresno82 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:48 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:19 pm Hopefully you will get a refund, but goes to show you have to pay for everything with BMW... top of the range car with no heated seats! And regards the battery, Id would have told him to do one, sounds like you've been told some fairy stories especially as its still up for sale. Selling one of my Jags it had a flat battery on day of collection and so I went and got a new battery and told the new owner, I didn't then charge him. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with this character.
Yeah, not great is it! The car has been running when we got there which also seemed a bit suspect.
I'm sure I can get a refund from the AA, it's more the fact that he knew how far I was coming and then changed his mind after I'd booked the inspection. Ah well, probably for the best anyway!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:56 pm

Hearing 35is's going for fantastic sums of money you have to question why has this one not flown out the door seeing as you say it was potentially perfect, even after its reduction in price? Do you think the mention of a RAC inspection was the problem and was there something hiding here?