Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 M40i Test Drive Impressions

Discussing the current generation Z4
Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:53 pm

Pretty good summary from a short test drive. The one key positive for me of the G29 is is it’s capabilities as a long distance tourer. I drove from the French Alps to Caen last year with a few stops on the way. The car was so comfortable and well balanced throughout the whole journey.

I think the engine and gearbox combination in the M40i compliment each other really well in whatever driving mode you’re in. I particularly like the short shifts of the box in eco mode and it still sounds good.

Will look forward to reading your comments should you have an extended drive in the future.
2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
2016-17: F33 440i
2017-17: E85 2.5si
2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
2023-??: G23 M440i

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:39 am

Obs-Com wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:53 pm Pretty good summary from a short test drive. The one key positive for me of the G29 is is it’s capabilities as a long distance tourer. I drove from the French Alps to Caen last year with a few stops on the way. The car was so comfortable and well balanced throughout the whole journey.
My dream trip is still to drive to the Arctic circle from the North East of Scotland, it was planned for 2020 and that's why I kept my E89 after buying the F-Type, but of course we all know what came next. I would want the M40i for that trip as wouldn't risk taking the F-Type for a number of reasons. The main one being availability of parts and support when travelling through northern Norway and Sweden. Always worry about reliability too, then there's the small boot, higher fuel consumption (perhaps negated by having a bigger tank though).
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 am

Ian J wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:58 am
gwatson wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:14 pm
Ride - Wow, probably the biggest surprise of the car which I wasn't expecting. Even in sport the ride is very compliant, massive improvement on the two previous two versions (even with run flat replaced).
We used to have an E85 years ago which I hated due to the poor ride on anything other than perfect surfaces and after a while we part exchanged it for a Boxster which was far, far better.

I swore that I would never buy another Z4 but having read road tests that stated how much the ride quality had improved I succumbed to temptation and bought a G29 but only the 2.0i as at my age I'm done with haring around and tend to drive more sedately nowadays.

The road tests were correct and the ride has been improved enormously
I wouldn't say that the G29's ride quality is good on poor roads. In fact I think it's pretty poor as I've been caught out a few times when cornering on less than perfect roads. I've encountered substantial sideways shift even on uneven straight roads as the car struggles to maintain grip. I'd go as far to say that it sometimes handles better in Comfort mode on poor surfaces. The G29 is great on good roads but it can be a tad playful on anything less than perfect.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:15 pm

bonzo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:21 am
I wouldn't say that the G29's ride quality is good on poor roads. In fact I think it's pretty poor as I've been caught out a few times when cornering on less than perfect roads. I've encountered substantial sideways shift even on uneven straight roads as the car struggles to maintain grip. I'd go as far to say that it sometimes handles better in Comfort mode on poor surfaces. The G29 is great on good roads but it can be a tad playful on anything less than perfect.
Surely that's "handling" as opposed to "ride" and it's probably sacrilege but mine spends most of it's time in "comfort" mode

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Ride - Wow, probably the biggest surprise of the car which I wasn't expecting. Even in sport the ride is very compliant, massive improvement on the two previous two versions (even with run flat replaced).
We used to have an E85 years ago which I hated due to the poor ride on anything other than perfect surfaces and after a while we part exchanged it for a Boxster which was far, far better.

I swore that I would never buy another Z4 but having read road tests that stated how much the ride quality had improved I succumbed to temptation and bought a G29 but only the 2.0i as at my age I'm done with haring around and tend to drive more sedately nowadays.

I have to say bonzo, that’s the opposite of what I’ve found and mine has been driven very spiritedly and mostly on forum runs.

What you describe is how I found my 35iS and because I noticed the difference straight away on the M40i I had that down as a huge improvement with how well it handled and how well planted it was.

My caveat to this is that it’s definitely more “wayward” on the SuperSports until they’re up to temperature but after that happy days :thumbsup:

Ian J, Ian, wash your mouth out, Comfort mode :ycard: :rofl: shortly I’m going to code mine to start in sports mode automatically. In fairness, there was a few times on the NC500 I put mine into Comfort because of the roads and conditions. It stopped the car bottoming out where others in E85/E89’s were and I wasn’t

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

bonzo

Post by bonzo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Ian J wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:15 pm
    Surely that's "handling" as opposed to "ride" and it's probably sacrilege but mine spends most of it's time in "comfort" mode
    Probably a bit of both as the wife has remarked that she feels like she's been in a washing machine after some journeys.

Obs-Com

Post by Obs-Com » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Not

Don’t know which G29 you have Bonzo but not my experience at all in the M40i TBH. In fact, I think its a better all round drive than my previous M2. It’s lap times around Nurburgring supported this when being developed. Some of the high roads in the Alps can be pretty poor and uneven but the M40i has always felt grippy and planted to me.
    2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
    2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
    2016-17: F33 440i
    2017-17: E85 2.5si
    2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
    2019-23: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)
    2023-??: G23 M440i

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:36 pm

Argyll Andy, don't knock comfort mode mate, getting me 50 mpg on my work commute, nearly all motorway.

Do you have Bimmercode? If not, happy to meet up and you can use mine.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:37 pm

If it's any consolation, I very rarely use sport suspension setting on my F-type, far too firm on UK roads, same with the Boxster S I drove, just felt nervous in sport. Normal is much better. Keep sport for tracks or super smooth Euro roads.
    Current:
    E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
    Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
    E70 X5 30d

Previous:
    Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
    ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

Ledg

Post by Ledg » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:55 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:24 pm

I have to say bonzo, that’s the opposite of what I’ve found and mine has been driven very spiritedly and mostly on forum runs.

What you describe is how I found my 35iS and because I noticed the difference straight away on the M40i I had that down as a huge improvement with how well it handled and how well planted it was.

My caveat to this is that it’s definitely more “wayward” on the SuperSports until they’re up to temperature but after that happy days :thumbsup:

Ian J, Ian, wash your mouth out, Comfort mode :ycard: :rofl: shortly I’m going to code mine to start in sports mode automatically. In fairness, there was a few times on the NC500 I put mine into Comfort because of the roads and conditions. It stopped the car bottoming out where others in E85/E89’s were and I wasn’t
    I kept mine in sports mode all the time on the nc500. But to be fair I’ve set my sports individual to sports plus for everything except the suspension being on comfort and just switch between sports plus and sports individual depending on the road.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 am

Ian J, Ian, wash your mouth out, Comfort mode :ycard: :rofl:
    Wait until you get to my age as you'll probably be driving a Suzuki Ignis :D

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:16 am

Ian J wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 am
    Ian J, Ian, wash your mouth out, Comfort mode :ycard: :rofl:
    Wait until you get to my age as you'll probably be driving a Suzuki Ignis :D
    I’m fingers crossed I’ll reach your age Ian :poke: :wink:

A Suzuki what? I know not what this thing is you speak of :tumbleweed: …………. Only Suzuki’s I’ve ever owned have had 2 wheels :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:25 am

Ledg wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:55 am I kept mine in sports mode all the time on the nc500. But to be fair I’ve set my sports individual to sports plus for everything except the suspension being on comfort and just switch between sports plus and sports individual depending on the road.
      It was in sports mode 99% of the time but the pace we were travelling at I had to soften off some of the route. When I could see the sparks from under the 35iS’s in front of me a quick change of setting and it was grand.

I think my Sports individual is configured the same as yours but I’ve not used it much and not had time to play around.

The one thing I’m embarrassed to admit in relation to the title if this thread is that I haven’t actually sat for any prolonged period with the car and gone through all the options and settings for the car yet. That’s very likely why I’ve said in another thread I’m not that fussed about the touchscreen. My daughter can’t believe I haven’t even brought Apple CarPlay up never mind not used it. I haven’t even looked at how to switch it on, if that’s what you do :lol:

It looks like you had a great time on the NC500 :thumbsup: reasonably local to me and as mentioned we did it as a forum run a couple of months ago. I’ve already signed up for another forum run next year called not the NC500 which does all the bits in between so that should be a good few days too :driving:

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:54 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:16 am
        A Suzuki what? I know not what this thing is you speak of :tumbleweed: …………. Only Suzuki’s I’ve ever owned have had 2 wheels :rofl:
        It's an old man's car - small and upright for those with bad backs and who tend to drive with a hat on.

I only know this as I was following one yesterday :D

q-man

Post by q-man » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:52 pm

Me and my wife rented M40i for 4 day roadtrip driving on French alps. Only used small or even smaller roads with endless number of corners and some city driving on riviera. Have to say it was greatest trip ever.

Coming from E85 2.5 years back to nowdays E89 30i manual owner. To me zed is always been just fun car without any need for practicality. M40i saw 800km mountain roads, so I think it was good testdrive for me.

First the power. It is very fast. As someone said, real hp numbers might be even higher. It might be even pointless to have that fast car on alps. It just jumps out of corner to next corner without any hesitation or effort. Sound could be better though. Tech is great (very well specced car) and it feels car is like guiding and helping you to be better driver. More room in cabin, more room in back, great seats(much better than sports on E89) and everything is just miles better than E89. It is even much higher so it is easier to climb out with dadbody. Much more comfortable suspension, and still very planted drive. Lot less of wind buffeting.

But then why not. Whole time I was thinking that this is great, but something is missing. It doesnt feel special, it is too easy, bonnet isnt that long. It feels like middle of my G12 7 series and E89. Of course it isnt landyacht, but it is too effortless.

It is great modern cabriolet, but I would like it more if Bmw would make it bit more edgy. There is something on NA motor with manual. It is feel of you really driving, and you have to work to push power out of engine. As an everyday car G29 is superior compared to E89 and mostlikely faster on everyway. Still since I am looking replacement for just backroad fun car, I might save for something else for change. Maybe I am just fighting the way modern cars are.
        -09 30i