Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sorned Car

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 pm

Chris Knott came back with the reply that I didn’t want to hear:-

Further to our conversation in connection with the above policy and sorning the vehicle over the winter months. Your insurer Highway have come back advising, they normally don’t cover SORN or laid up vehicles. One of the reasons is they are giving comprehensive cover when this is not needed. Cover should be downgraded to something like accidental damage + fire and theft , fire and theft cover only or a laid up policy, unfortunately they don’t have these cover types available.

They have agreed to continue cover up until your renewal date on the 10/03/2021 at that point the policy will expire. We will at that point need to look for a new provider for you.

I should add that Chris Knott came back with an answer the very next day. I think it’s bonkers, I wasn’t looking for a lower premium.

The car won’t be out on dark , cold wet slippery nights for anyone to slide into me . It’ll be in a warm locked alarmed garage!

I’m confused (no insurance pun intended)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:13 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 pm I’m confused (no insurance pun intended)
I'm More Than Confused, pun intended. :wink:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sorned Car

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:16 pm

“They are giving comprehensive cover when not required”. Why do they care if that is what the customer wants? I always SORN two cars over winter, just for the tax reasons only.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:30 pm

My car is only sorned because I don’t want to use it in the cold winter months - the other car is more suitable and we can manage a one car household these days

Do they want me to use car, bend it then hike premiums for the next five years or more. That’s me being cynical?

I thought I was buying Comprehensive insurance to protect my asset in all eventualities. Because I’m looking after it and reducing risk I’m being penalised

The insurance company will allow cover this policy - perhaps I should just cancel?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Sorned Car

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:27 pm

I'm pretty disappointed by the response you got from Chris Knott ronk as my M is insured through them, albeit with Aegeas rather than Highway. :thumbsdown:

Don't they realise a car laid-up off the road is far less likely to be subject to a claim? :? And there is no potential for any expensive Third Party claim if you don't use the car! :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:36 am

I'm impressed that a thread on an owners forum which basically exists for the advantage of the insurance company, has not generated a single comment from them in 3 days. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:06 am

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:36 am I'm impressed that a thread on an owners forum which basically exists for the advantage of the insurance company, has not generated a single comment from them in 3 days. :roll:
Me too, I’d be astonished if they didn’t search their name on here daily incase there’s any business coming from it.

I also must say I’m very surprised at the stance of some insurance companies. I’d personally have thought in a circumstance like the OP’s where they have a £30k liability that their risk would be dramatically reduced when that asset is sitting in a locked, heated and alarmed garage for half the policy term than taxed and then their liability is a 340 bhp car flying about in rain/ice/snow, just doesn’t make sense to me.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:57 pm

I’m going to check my insurance documents when I get home on Tuesday.
    If indeed it does show I am not insured while sorned, I think a letter to the insurance company is in order.

To be fair, Chris Knott asked the underwriters and it was them who said no.

I do think tho that the Nature if there business represents an
    enthusiast base - the cars are looked after/cosseted and often sorned for a multitude of reasons.

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:14 pm

None of this makes any sense. Surely any policy should just automatically 'downgrade' to fire and theft if a vehicle is SORNed?
    If you drove a vehicle on the road which is SORNed, that would only be illegal from a road tax point of view, not insurance.
    So these insurers are saying that if you SORN your car, you should cancel your existing policy and get a new one for fire and theft? Then when you tax it again, you cancel that policy and get another one? Sorry but that is f*cking stupid. Sounds like another money making scam by the insurers, again! :x
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:17 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:36 am I'm impressed that a thread on an owners forum which basically exists for the advantage of the insurance company, has not generated a single comment from them in 3 days.
    Maybe because there's no money in it for them? And they would get a grilling in public? :roll:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:22 pm

If you plan on sorning your car and your insurance is up for renewal, worth checking with your preferred insurer before purchasing.
    Totally agree it's mental, but it does happen with some insurers.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Nanu » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:34 pm

I don't know how much insurance you are paying but would it be cost effective to continue with the fully comp insurance, lay up your car for the winter but don't SORN it?

Have you checked your house insurance especially if the car is garaged and the garage is attached to the house. As I have previously suggested, most insurers won't cover risk if it is already covered by another policy. In this case it won't be covered by your motor insurer so may be by you house contents insurer. Worth asking them.
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

ronk
    Lifer
    Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 pm

I certainly hadn’t expected this result!
    I’m going to have a good read of the small print of motor and house polices when I get home on mon/Tuesday.

pvr
    Legend
    Legend

Sorned Car

Post by pvr » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:19 pm

5 months of tax savings pays for the entire year insurance for both cars that I sorn
    Current:
    911-50 Black - unique spec
    X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
    Abarth 595 Comp.
    Golf Clipper - collectors item
    Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
    VW ID.3

Previous:
    Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
    Z4 3.0 Toledo

ChrisKnottIns

Sorned Car

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 am

ronk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm I have my 35is insured thro a policy with Chris Knott

Will my car remain fully insured while it’s sorned and tucked away in my garage over winter?
    Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

If you would like us to check your policy to ensure that the cover you require is in place, please call us on 0800 9172274 or email us at [email protected].

Thanks

Simon Clark
    Chris Knott Insurance
    Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
    Club code: Z4-866
    LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter